Quantcast

PSA: In Stock / On Sale

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
I mean I’m maintaining a fleet of 4 bikes between my wife and I and there’s two brakes to bleed on each bike. With doing top ups 1-3 times a year on each bike as pads wear or get replaced yeah I basically wear out a plastic cup once a year.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Yeah I'd go with another brand and call the day off.
Another brand of cup? Cause we’re a combo of hope, magura, sram and shimano. And I think the shimanos on my trail bike have had the bleed cup on them the least (well I guess the hope doesn’t take bleed cups and the magura has its own special one cause the thread is different). The srams need top ups the most often to keep feeling tight.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I mean I’m maintaining a fleet of 4 bikes between my wife and I and there’s two brakes to bleed on each bike. With doing top ups 1-3 times a year on each bike as pads wear or get replaced yeah I basically wear out a plastic cup once a year.
instead if overfilling the system every tine your pads wear. Remove the rotor from the caliper either by removing the wheel from the bike or caliper from its mount (whichever is easiest) then manually advance your caliper pistons to give back closer pad clearance. This will also benefit you in that you'll actually be able to push the pistons fully back when you do finally replace the pads.
You'll also avoid the chance of the overfilled oil fucking seals if you force the old pads back flush when swapping pads.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
instead if overfilling the system every tine your pads wear. Remove the rotor from the caliper either by removing the wheel from the bike or caliper from its mount (whichever is easiest) then manually advance your caliper pistons to give back closer pad clearance. This will also benefit you in that you'll actually be able to push the pistons fully back when you do finally replace the pads.
You'll also avoid the chance of the overfilled oil fucking seals if you force the old pads back flush when swapping pads.
Nah you gotta do both you make sram not feel like shit.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Another brand of cup? Cause we’re a combo of hope, magura, sram and shimano. And I think the shimanos on my trail bike have had the bleed cup on them the least (well I guess the hope doesn’t take bleed cups and the magura has its own special one cause the thread is different). The srams need top ups the most often to keep feeling tight.
Hope and shimano share the same cup threads.
SRAM doesn't. But if you want to use a cup system simply remove the lever syringe plunger.
Maguras bleed ports are a fucking awful plastic push fit design. And 1Nm threaded plug. So shit I'd honestly throw the magura levers in the sea rather than use them myself. (I absolutely hate the LEGO style lever shape/feel too though)

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Nah you gotta do both you make sram not feel like shit.
Yeah. Like I implied. Your brakes might need replaced with something new/ less shit. (or an overhaul)
Dunno which SRAM brakes you have but so long as they have a good bleed in the first place and don't have sticky pistons a simple piston advancement when pads wear should see lever bite point and feel return to where you like it.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Maybe you need the Abbey Tool of bleed cups.

jrewing

Monkey
Aug 22, 2010
Maydena Oz
Hope and shimano share the same cup threads.
SRAM doesn't. But if you want to use a cup system simply remove the lever syringe plunger.
Maguras bleed ports are a fucking awful plastic push fit design. And 1Nm threaded plug. So shit I'd honestly throw the magura levers in the sea rather than use them myself. (I absolutely hate the LEGO style lever shape/feel too though)
On the contrary Maguras are great for me. I love their bleed screw finger tight goodness. Bleed so easy

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/

all in one kit with metal fittings for the price of one shimano cup

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
@toodles You see the 40% off Maxxis sale?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Maybe you need the Abbey Tool of bleed cups.

Oooh, "produced in small quantities", that's only one step down from "bespoke".

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
For the Brits, Orange has some okay parts prices-
e13 cassette again for Gary-

And I found a place in Germany selling weird stuff off cheap, but I'm not telling anyone where, fuck you all!

Milleratio

Chimp
Oct 24, 2021
Is there any reasonable or interesting bike parts that would be little cheaper to buy in US compared to Europe? Anything to especially look after? 72CAD billet bleeding cups from the northern neighbour?
I was browsing US Amazon and Ebay and got feeling that there's really not much real mtb part that anyone would by. Seemed mostly aliexpress dropshippers or some Walmart equivalent mystery quality shit. Jenson had some super discounts but everything seems mostly just more expensive compared to Bike24, Bikediscount, Bikecomponents, Yourmomsabike, shops in Europe.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
You are correct. And some stuff is still cheaper even with the $50 shipping. Especially if you need multiple things. I have an order for my wife’s bike in the way now with dominions, continental tires, and the 2mm thick galfer floating rotors and with shipping it was over $80 less than the best deals I could find in the USA.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
You are correct. And some stuff is still cheaper even with the $50 shipping. Especially if you need multiple things. I have an order for my wife’s bike in the way now with dominions, continental tires, and the 2mm thick galfer floating rotors and with shipping it was over $80 less than the best deals I could find in the USA.

It can be nuts. When I got my Dominions, I got the brakes, rotors and adapters shipped out of Germany and it was cheaper than the dealer cost of just the brakes in the US.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Yeah I got my Dominions from Europe for ~330/set shipped. Retail US was like $300 each at the time.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Yeah I got my Dominions from Europe for ~330/set shipped. Retail US was like $300 each at the time.
Australian online shops want $80 AUD for Dominion A4 sintered pads. R2-bike.com has them for $33. Its a fucken joke

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Revel still have some decent deals, they have a half price DJ bike-
1707216463167.png

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
It seems most all Australian bike shop owners require ways to fund their new specced out Raptors.
But the wholesalers try to move away from customers-
I'd hope they wouldn't have a Ranger out that far, would be an expensive tow truck trip when it shits the bed.

jrewing

Monkey
Aug 22, 2010
Maydena Oz
But the wholesalers try to move away from customers-
I'd hope they wouldn't have a Ranger out that far, would be an expensive tow truck trip when it shits the bed.
Hes done me well tbh often. Warranty and deals.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Hes done me well tbh often. Warranty and deals.
Really?
My old LBS wouldn't let me order anything Dirt Works sold. It was hilarious, the owner would pull out all the other catalogues and tell me to find something in them that I liked.
You are the first person I have ever seen say a positive thing(other than themselves).

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City