Quantcast

Prototype Nukeproof Pulse

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Totally agree with you that the GT setup is cool since it splits the difference in RC growth between FC and RC, it'd go a long way to solving the unpredictabilities associated with high pivots. However - if 650b is becoming mainstream, I'm not sure if the added complexity/weight from the GT system is still justifiable, since we can now have a given level of bump absorption with lower main pivot heights anyway. Unfortunately there's always a compromise between weight/complexity and ultimate performance on production bikes which is why things like i-drive, idlers, and floating brakes don't take off very well. Still, I like the idea - and as bikes get lighter, these old ideas could get back on the table.
I think the current crop of new GT bikes have comparable weight to what else it out there.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I think the current crop of new GT bikes have comparable weight to what else it out there.
Unfortunately it doesn't have a proper shock linkage (which would have saved weight), and has a somewhat lacklustre leverage curve as a result - very close to dead flat. Will have less pop and might not absorb small to medium bumps as well as other current DH bikes.

Would still work well as an all out racer though I'm sure, especially with that new small shaft RAD shock.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Are you sure the Sensor and Force looks nothing like that (different bikes of course just wondering)?

Last edited:

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
^^
yes, it's same basic leverage curve, which is to say GT designed the curve to mirror Gee's usual facial expression:

* Non-sequitur, but I was really hoping Gee would dress up like Spock for April Fools and they'd tape him giving Ratboy the Vulcan nerve pinch right before he was going to drop in.

** To be clear, I have absolutely no idea what the curves look like for the Sensor or the Force...but I hope they're also in the shape of Gee's "smile".

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'm no space wizard like @Udi is, but the fury is functionally identical to a single pivot with no linkage. It should be a flat line with no curve and it's likely to be pretty close to fat, maybe slightly decreasing in slope (ie linear rising rate).

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Where have I read this before?
Do I get a title too for discussing my feelings with you?
sorry, i don't know if you've already mentioned this...I'm still sorting this stuff out while you seem to have a handle on it.

and keep the feelings on tumblr, let's stick to bike stuff here.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I have asked and it not correct. Not as linear as the 2010 and with some progression. Better @Udi ?
You asked who haha?
I'm pretty sure @Sandwich is right and that the graph I posted is in the ballpark of correct. I don't have the time at the moment but it's pretty easy and accurate to draw graphs for bikes without rate modifying linkages or short links that affect the path of the swingarm, so while I can't comment on the accuracy of something I didn't draw, you'd really have to be trying to mess up mapping a bike like that. Feel free to post up a more accurate graph if you have one though, I've never looked very closely at GT so I don't even know if it changed for 2015.

That's not to say it's a bad bike, It'll probably work fine for Gee but the average rider will likely appreciate the improved bump absorption and increased pop off jumps/lips that you get with more progression.

and keep the feelings on tumblr, let's stick to bike stuff here.
You just sound jealous that my bike rides a lot lighter than it is. It has a ride-feel weight of exactly 31.9lbs.

tomasis7

stroganoff
Nov 5, 2014
Electronic bong-shed LEGAL
Udi, what frame are you ridding now? you mentioned single pivot frame. I guess it is not Evil longer.

I'm big fan of rigid rear triangle, it makes sense because one could keep working on it while dropping weight.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Gettin a little more angular... Thank god, maybe this swoopy bullshit is on its way out?