Quantcast

project idea: 4 wheel recumbent "golf cart"

pigboy

in a galaxy far, far away
It's slow. It's Sunday. I thought someone might be amused by this idea I've been having since I moved out to the farm in Hawaii.....

The farm:
approximately 38 acres of rainforest on the Big Island.
About 3-5 acres are mowed and have buildings, coffee trees and paved driveways.
Property is on the slopes of Mauna Kea and is fairly steeply sloped in places.
Lots of rain (200-300 inches/year) which means lots of fast growing invasive plants want to take over the mowed sections and generally grow taller, obscure the view and then fall onto the driveway, electrical lines, buildings, etc.

My job:
farm manager (aka lawnmower boy and brush control monkey).

The problem:
the main house is uphill and 100-150 yards from the garage/tool barn + I'm lazy, but not so lazy that I want to get in the SUV just to go down and fetch the chainsaw, gas can, chain oil, etc.

The solution:
build a 4-wheel recumbent "bike/golf cart" with low gearing and a platform or similar for carrying tools, water bottles, rain jacket, etc

Me:
no welding skills
no bike building skills
a lot of hours spent farting around with cars (two engine rebuilds)
I possess decent mechanical ability and can generally figure out a solution to most engineering problems.

So I'm wondering if anyone out there in ridemonkey-land has seen (or has in their posession) plans for building a 4-wheel bike-beast? If not i'll just start messing around. And of course I'll post pictures when I have anything to show for my efforts.

-pigboy

ps. yes i'm cutting a trail into the rainforest so that I can go chase the feral pigs around. Any monkeys who make it to the Big Island should give me a holler. We have great riding around here.

pigboy

Originally posted by BurlySurly
hey.

did you ride Kulani Forest yet? That place is neato.
It sure is neato. I dropped by on Friday to say, "Hi." to the local crew, but I don't have a bike yet so I didn't ride. Next Friday I might rent an Ellsworth from Lawrence. Week after that my bike should be built and ready for abuse.

i woulda said hi when I was on Oahu last week, but i was lying around in agonizing pain due to an infected tooth. That kind of saps one's motivation for riding.

-pigboy

pigboy

Originally posted by johnbryanpeters
Ummm... why not just get a Bob Ibex or Yak trailer? It'll carry chainsaw, or a six gallon gas can...

J
sure, I could be practical, but as we both know I'd rather dream up foolish plans that are somewhat unlikely to ever come to pass.

and it seems kind of silly to use an S-works Enduro to haul the chainsaw and gas can up and down the hill. But then again it isn't any sillier than my plan to custom build some bizarre bike-cum-golf-cart.

pigboy

Originally posted by pigboy
sure, I could be practical, but as we both know I'd rather dream up foolish plans that are somewhat unlikely to ever come to pass.

and it seems kind of silly to use an S-works Enduro to haul the chainsaw and gas can up and down the hill. But then again it isn't any sillier than my plan to custom build some bizarre bike-cum-golf-cart.

pigboy
Lessee, he orders the bling bike and now it's too precious to do work with? I send you jar of bling polish, yes? ;) :D

pigboy

Originally posted by johnbryanpeters
Lessee, he orders the bling bike and now it's too precious to do work with? I send you jar of bling polish, yes? ;) :D
Yes sah! We all outta bling polish on da farm sah! Please send us 6 buckets, highest quality.

plus don't forget, I'm way out in the boonies now with little to do aside from post foolish ideas to RM and have them shot down.

:D

pigboy

is that they want like $2000+ for the darn things.

I've been doing some reading and I'm thinking more along the lines of the fella in Texas who bought some crappy old bikes and bedframe down at goodwill. then he welded them together and voila he had a hoopty old four wheel beer hauling bicycle built for two.

i guess it might be more practical and cheaper to just buy a YAK or similar, but it lacks a certain panache.