Quantcast

Production Inferno

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
Thought you guys might want to check the Inferno out. It looks like the medium is 9.75 pounds out of the box with the Curnutt and floating brake assembly. The scissor link is a little bit different than the pre-production version, so that's something of interest. I dunno, peep it. It's pretty sick.

Attachments

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
Looking very nice indeed, very nice. Exactly what niche is the inferno supposed to fill? I remember someone saying that foes had told them it was not intended for "full on downhill", whatever that means. You guys have any information on that?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
strange, I had heard that it was indeed supposed to be able to be used for "full on downhill", it might seem like a strange niche, the fly is around 11lbs though, and the FXR is too light to do any real abusive riding on, so the inferno seems to be a little like Foes's "bullit", while their Fly is more like their "vpfree"....

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Jm_ said:
strange, I had heard that it was indeed supposed to be able to be used for "full on downhill", it might seem like a strange niche, the fly is around 11lbs though, and the FXR is too light to do any real abusive riding on, so the inferno seems to be a little like Foes's "bullit", while their Fly is more like their "vpfree"....
Hmmm, good analogy. However, I believe it was MBA ( :eviltongu ) who did a short feature on the Inferno, and Brent Foes was quoted and said that the Inferno was designed as a heavy-duty trailbike. I dunno how many trailbikes have 7.5" of travel, but apparently, as Jm_ said, the Inferno is very similar to the Bullit in that it can be set up for a variety of applications.

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
The Inferno is definitely NOT a full-on DH bike. It's designed to be a long-legged trail bike. I know a lot of people are having trouble grasping with the thought of a 7.5" travel trail bike, but they're not that uncommon. The Bullit, the ASX, the new VPP bikes...there are a rapidly growing number of bikes with enough travel to race DH that are light enough to actually pedal around.

Anyway, the Inferno isn't built with thick enough tubing to be used for serious DH stuff, and it probably won't hold up at the dirt jumps. But that's not what the frame is designed for. Other than the lack of seatpost adjustment (which Specialized owners might sympathize about; the problem can be solved with a telescoping post), the bike looks very promising as a trail machine. The thing with Foes bikes is most people who pony up for a Foes frame are also going to drop pretty good coin to make sure they have a solid parts kit as well, so I think you're going to see most of these Infernos built under 35 pounds, which isn't too bad considering the amount of travel the frame has.

I think there will also be people asking why there's not a 1.5 headtube. According to some little birds, there are going to be around 5 different 6" 1 1/8" forks on the market next year, so basically there's only one fork the bike can't run, and that's the Sherman Breakout Plus.

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
I've been thinking about these new mega travel trail bikes, and there is something that keeps bothering me. If you have your seat at a height for half decent pedaling, it will be like a mile off the ground. It's like you'll need a step-stool to mount the bike. Dunno, would have to ride one to see how it pans out..

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
James | Go-Ride said:
...I think there will also be people asking why there's not a 1.5 headtube. According to some little birds, there are going to be around 5 different 6" 1 1/8" forks on the market next year, so basically there's only one fork the bike can't run, and that's the Sherman Breakout Plus.
that statement can easily turn into a: "the benefits of a 1.5" headtube for reasons other than being able to run a breakout+" discussion.

In any case, it's a sweet looking frame. I'm still holding on to the idea of their releasing the proto FR rig they had on display at SO. :drool:

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
Thanks alot Jm_, that makes alot of sense. The one thing is, while the bullit is not a 'DH' bike, it can definitly handle downhill abuse. So to me, it seems like the Inferno definitly cannot be directly compared to the bullit, it is more in the heckler class of 'light freeride/all mountain'. Looks like I might be getting a fly from you guys if the inferno is more of a trail bike, albeit a 7.5" one.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
you guys, there is already a onepointfive version of that bike

its called gemini dh, only difference is color and rear axle

rest is pretty much the same

weight..... check
low singlepivot........ check
floating brake......... check
stable platform (cv/t) shock...... check

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
vitox said:
you guys, there is already a onepointfive version of that bike

its called gemini dh, only difference is color and rear axle

rest is pretty much the same

weight..... check
low singlepivot........ check
floating brake......... check
stable platform (cv/t) shock...... check
Bet the rear end isn't as stiff as the Inferno... Swing link baby :thumb:

Don't know geometry specs but I'd be willing to be this bike is steeper/more trail oriented.

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
Actually the C-Dale has a higher pivot that is quite a bit farther forward on the frame, which is going to make for a pretty different ride and totally different pedaling characterstics. The Curnutt also has a pretty unique feel; sure, the 5th Element and Springer CVT tech is based on the same technology but the Curnutt has way more volume and a lot bigger internals. Not to say that the Gemini is a bad bike in anyway, but they are pretty different within the single-pivot world.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Bulldog said:
You my friend are not alone.
At a first glance that looks alot like my AS-X. At second glance there are some differances but it looks to have approximately the same pivot location, same swing link type shock actuation, same QR rear wheel... It just looks even beefier if that's possible.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
James | Go-Ride said:
Actually the C-Dale has a higher pivot that is quite a bit farther forward on the frame, which is going to make for a pretty different ride and totally different pedaling characterstics. The Curnutt also has a pretty unique feel; sure, the 5th Element and Springer CVT tech is based on the same technology but the Curnutt has way more volume and a lot bigger internals. Not to say that the Gemini is a bad bike in anyway, but they are pretty different within the single-pivot world.

yea i know about the pivot but i have pedalled the gemini around and the swinger sort of takes over control so i kind of expected the same to happen with the inferno and the curnutt, nice to know its not that way because i really dislike the feel of the swinger, its like a huge poorly lubricated headshock.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
ROCKLAND said:
I've been thinking about these new mega travel trail bikes, and there is something that keeps bothering me. If you have your seat at a height for half decent pedaling, it will be like a mile off the ground. It's like you'll need a step-stool to mount the bike. Dunno, would have to ride one to see how it pans out..
this is one of the reasons i don't have my intense uzzi slx any more. it was fun on the trail, but too tall for real dh and the two seatpost deal bit my eye and said yum. :D

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
ROCKLAND said:
Yep, If somebody needs 7.5 inches of travel for trailriding, maybe its time to check out another sport. Maybe speedwalking or even a bitchin' Razor scooter. :dancing:

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
I'm with Jeremy on this one. My 5.7" VT rear end seems like overkill on most trails (which in the SE means rough, rocky XC with steep climbs). I'm sorry but if I'm gonna buy a bike with 7+ inches in the back, don't tell me I'm not supposed to jump the sh!t out of it.

Besides, I'm too busy to waste time trying to pedal a 7" bike up any real hill.