Quantcast

prefab carbon tubes w/ steel lugs?

E

endtroducing

With the summer, and new employment, I have much more free time in the afternoons to play with, and i've been dreaming up some potential new projects. On my list is some woodworking classes and I'd really love to learn to braze w/ the ultimate goal of crafting myself a low-tech steel frame. But after seeing Alex's beautiful composite frames, and coming across more than a few resources for home-fabricating w/ carbon on the cheap, the idea of investing time in building a carbon frame has rooted itself in my head. After milling over some design (and cost-cutting) ideas, and loving the lugged look of the Inedibles, I began to wonder if anyone has built a frame using prefab carbon bicycle tubes (from say here) bonded to traditional steel lugs. I know one has to take corrosion into consideration of course, and at the very least, i could use the prefab tubes as a core, and count on their outer diameters for enhanced precision in fitting joints... but does anyone know/think this is a viable route for me to consider?

E

endtroducing

is that a fashion statement, or one of technical merit?

(not thinking a steel/carbon bike would be particularly efficient from an engineering standpoint, but it could make for a fun/cheap project.)