Quantcast

Pot Smoking Rastafarians

mr_dove

Monkey
Jan 18, 2002
Denver, CO
My dad's a rastafarian. He smokes pot several times a day. I still turned out pretty normal though. I guess it didn't nuke any of his sperm. It's hard to see the dreads in his pictures but you can clearly see that he doesn't cut his hair or beard.

His house is crammed with reggae stuff too.

He's 100% hippie. He built his own house and grows all his own food, including the goats that he raises for meat and milk.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Originally posted by mr_dove
My dad's a rastafarian. He smokes pot several times a day. I still turned out pretty normal though. I guess it didn't nuke any of his sperm. It's hard to see the dreads in his pictures but you can clearly see that he doesn't cut his hair or beard.

His house is crammed with reggae stuff too.

He's 100% hippie. He built his own house and grows all his own food, including the goats that he raises for meat and milk.

I thought it was a racist religion for people who have African ancestors (& your dad looks pretty anglo to me).

correct me if I am wrong.

thats pretty cool about the self-sufficiency thing.

-TN

EDIT-I love a hippy in NIKES!!!!

mr_dove

Monkey
Jan 18, 2002
Denver, CO
I don't really know anything about the religion. I didn't grow up with my dad. Pot and reggae is about the extent of my knowledge. I know that they like to drum and dance alot. Oh yeah, they don't cut or brush their hair either.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Pot and reggae is about the extent of my knowledge. I know that they like to drum and dance alot

all of the above please (between biking, of course :D).

:cool:
-TN

Mocha

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Vancouver Island
Originally posted by mr_dove
I don't really know anything about the religion. I didn't grow up with my dad. Pot and reggae is about the extent of my knowledge. I know that they like to drum and dance alot. Oh yeah, they don't cut or brush their hair either.

No offence, but I think your Dad is just a hippy who smokes a lot of pot, and wears dreads. Here are some facts about rastafarians:

1. The Rastafarian religion originated in Africa. It is often associated with the poorer black population of Jamaica. It is not just a religion, but a way of life. Rastafarians speak out against; poverty, oppression and inequality.....not just religious ideas but global problems. Rastafarians will use the Bible for guidence.

2. Babylon is the Rastafarian term for the white political power structure that has been holding the black race down for centuries. In the past, Rasta see that blacks were held down physically by the shackles of slavery. In the present, Rasta feel that blacks are still held down through poverty, illiteracy, inequality, and trickery by the white man. The effort of Rasta is to try to remind blacks of their heritage and have them stand up against this Babylon.

3. The dreadlocks on a Rasta's head symbolises the Rastas roots, contrasting the straight, blond look of the white man and establishment.

4. Ganja, is used for religious purposes for Rastafarians. Its use is written in the Bible in Psalms 104:14, "He causeth the grass for the cattle, and herb for the service of man". The use of this herb is very extensive among the Rastas not only for spiritual purposes as in their Nyabingi celebration, but also for medicinal purposes for colds and such.

Merwin5_10

Don't Mess With Texas!
Jul 6, 2001
Austin, Texas
Good post above.

BTW-
Anyone who can prove by birth that they are of teh Rastafarian religion are free to smoke pot in the US, (Freedom of religion.) THey msut do so in their house or place of worship.

Here's the catch. Its still illegal to purchase, solicit to purchase or possess pot outsise the home or place of worship, so... you're still restricted.

mr_dove

Monkey
Jan 18, 2002
Denver, CO
That's really cool. I never knew much about my the whole thing. You might be right about my dad. Even if he is a rastafarian, he's still just a pot smoking hippie to me. Hippies piss me off!!!(in the voice of Eric Cartman).

I didn't meet my dad for the first time until I was 18 and he was a real d1ck to me. He does claim to be a rastafarian though. He talked alot about racism and oppression while I was there too.

thanks for the real info about the religion though. It's cool to know.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
You crazy baldheads!!!

What I dont get is.....Bob Marley, the most famous Rasta, had a white, british father, & he fathered kids with a white woman???
I love BOB, but c'mon.

-TN

Mocha

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Vancouver Island
Originally posted by TN_Fred
You crazy baldheads!!!

What I dont get is.....Bob Marley, the most famous Rasta, had a white, british father, & he fathered kids with a white woman???
I love BOB, but c'mon.

-TN
Perhaps he's not Rasta at all, just simply a marketing scheme to sell records :eek:

T

Tenaciousle0

Originally posted by TN_Fred
You crazy baldheads!!!

I love BOB, but c'mon.

-TN
Yeah what a hypocrite, I guess pot does rot your thinking pink thingie