Quantcast

Post the best animated GIF's in this thread.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by stosh, May 2, 2008.

1. ICEBALL585 Bacontard

Rep  |  Likes:
    37   |   80
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Mo(n)arch Well-Known Member

Rep  |  Likes:
    28   |   88
    Media:
    Albums:

I lol'd. Hard
    • Like Like x 2
  3. big-ted Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.

Rep  |  Likes:
    2   |   8
  4. kazlx Patches O'Houlihan

Rep  |  Likes:
    26   |   30
    • Like Like x 1
  5. jimmydean The Official Meat of Ridemonkey

Rep  |  Likes:
    36   |   121
  6. jstuhlman Well-Known Member

Rep  |  Likes:
    24   |   100
    i lub my rwd . . . but one wonders what that would look like with AWD/winter tires vs. RWD/winter tires. rwd can always to MOAR DONUTS and get MOAR SIDEWAYS though! :)
  7. Westy the teste

Rep  |  Likes:
    59   |   137
    AWD would win, but stopping at turning would be the same. At the end of the day a car that can go faster but stops and turns the same when conditions suck isn't the best idea. Whenever we get snow around here the ditches are full of people with subarus and AWD SUVs. Just because you can get out of your driveway doesn't mean you should.

Snow tires rule by the way. They also work better in good condition winter driving, rubber compound has better traction at lower temps.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. jimmydean The Official Meat of Ridemonkey

Rep  |  Likes:
    36   |   121
    I pulled a guy out of a ditch twice in 25 feet when I drove tow truck. He was in a lifted Dodge Ram 3500 rolling 22's and street tires. He said "Dodge doesn't know how to build a truck for snow", I said, "No, you don't". And he sure as hell couldn't drive. :rofl:
  9. jackalope Mental acuity - 1%

Rep  |  Likes:
    52   |   105
    I know fuck all about snow driving (and fat snow biking for that matter), but I would've assumed an AWD car equipped with said snow rubber could turn better in theory if the front wheels didn't slip as much.
  10. Westy the teste

Rep  |  Likes:
    59   |   137
    Yes if you were accelerating around said corner. AWD would handle much better for performance applications but for driving in snow on public roads, don't accelerate around said corners. AWD would also climb hills better, but will not descend any better. Most folks are better off not going up hills that they can not descend in a controllable manner..

This assuming that a 2wd car has a good traction/stability control system. AWD in its own adds a level of stability as it shouldn't allow any wheel to spin much faster than others which can happen cornering on patchy ice.

So basically for just getting around in bad weather there isn't really much of an advantage with AWD, it in fact can allow you to get in trouble quicker. If you want to go hoon in the snow. AWD all day. But all the soccer moms thinking they need AWD so they can stay home with the kids on snow days are much much better off with good winter tires. My 2WD GTI is much more capable in bad weather with its snow tires than my old WRX was with all seasons.

4wd trucks and SUV can handle better in the snow with all seasons due to their sheer weight and the fact that truck tires often have more open and off-roady tread patterns.
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2014 at 1:01 PM
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. jackalope Mental acuity - 1%

Rep  |  Likes:
    52   |   105
    In this case, I should go ahead and sell my DH bike.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Westy the teste

Rep  |  Likes:
    59   |   137
    But bikes are all about going downhill in an uncontrollable manner, and why those 2wd bikes are dumb
  13. CBJ Well-Known Member

Rep  |  Likes:
    10   |   54
    So what you are saying is @Toshi is a soccer mom :)
  14. Toshi Harbinger of Doom

Rep  |  Likes:
    34   |   40
    Counterpoint: How many soccer moms have done this in their kid-haulers?

Most modern "SUVs" are really station wagons with AWD, so even if said moms had the inclination they couldn't do this.

I agree with Westy wrt utility of winter tires, though. I have Nokians planned for next winter. :thumb:
  15. jimmydean The Official Meat of Ridemonkey

Rep  |  Likes:
    36   |   121
  16. slyfink Active Member

Rep  |  Likes:
    16   |   22
    Media:
    Albums:
    did something very similar with a 15 passenger van while in Sedona a few years ago. It was priceless to see the faces of all those tourists who had rented their pink jeeps thinking they were hardcore passed by a bunch of bikers in a white, rear wheel drive 15 passenger van. I wouldn't have driven it, but my buddy is quite experienced, and we were with a local guide who knew the lines, which made it possible...

gotta agree with you about the SUV's though: glorified station wagons. I have one, and what I really wanted was a station wagon, but there are few options out there.
  17. Blown240 Member

Rep  |  Likes:
    6   |   10
    I'm impressed with how well the Toyota Land Cruiser and Sequoia do off road. But maybe because they are truck based vs. the Highlander that is based on the cars.
  18. Blown240 Member

Rep  |  Likes:
    6   |   10
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Westy the teste

Rep  |  Likes:
    59   |   137

I Hooned a rental minivan on some dirt roads going to the 24 hours of pueblo years ago. The roads were navigable for road cars, but not at 60mph. I pinch flatted both front tires going through a wash.
  20. scottishmark Active Member

Rep  |  Likes:
    10   |   6
  21. johnbryanpeters Hero

Rep  |  Likes:
    22   |   38
    Media:
    Phoenix. Rental Beretta. Cave Creek Road. River crossing. Full hydraulic lock.
    • Like Like x 2
  22. Westy the teste

Rep  |  Likes:
    59   |   137
    A fate every single one of those hateful vehicles should have met.

Parking lot of a Phish show in Las Vegas, broke the trunk latch on a Chrysler Cirrus trying to smash beer bottles by slamming the boot lid on them. The only way to keep the trunk closed was to tie an empty handle of tequila to it as a counter weight (was my rental but I was not driving). Every time I hit a bump the trunk bounced open displaying the bottle.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  23. ALEXIS_DH Tirelessly Awesome

Rep  |  Likes:
    1   |   0
    you can do that road with most compact suvs.... might even be able to squeeze it out of a FWD suv.

some of my mellow "off-road" on some of the soccer-mom steeds i´ve had thru the last few years...

this one was 4wd

did this road several times...

on this (2wd)

ocasionally, it ended like this (flimsy tires had a penchant for pinch flats)

heck, even the good ol´ yaris I had back in the day; was up for stuff like that (40+ miles of this, btw)
    i once drove said yaris in the roads pictured above too, btw. didnt get a picture though.

now, this is the truck i use for "true" off road. (hooning dirt roads at 60mph)

and ocasionally; i´ve met with taxis (!) driving up and down on those narrow rocky roads...

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014 at 10:43 PM
  24. jstuhlman Well-Known Member

Rep  |  Likes:
    24   |   100
    YOUR TRUCK SEZ POO ON THE SIDE
  25. eric strt6 Resident Curmudgeon

Rep  |  Likes:
    35   |   102
    whats with the still photos in the animated GIF thread? get wif da program pipple