Quantcast

Post accident protocol...

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
So I got hit by a car this morning. Nothing major, tacoed the FW, some road rash. Dude rolled a stop, ironically he was watching two roadies who were in the intersection when he hit me. He admitted to not seeing me, and I was coming out of the sun. No physical damage to me, just minor road rash on the knee and shin. My Ninja reflexes kept me upright...

To be fair, I was a dummie, riding on the sidewalk in order to avoid traffic. But I stopped, looked all about, and went into the street after (I thought...) I had made eye to eye with him. Doesnt appear to be any damage to the bike itself (An '06 Trek 8000) and I plan on re-using the hub (Mavic Coss Ride) to build a new wheel. My buddy said I should go after the driver for a whole new ride. I said that in order to maintain order and discipline w/in the universe I was just going to ask him to pay for a new hoop, spokes and labor. Maybe a new set of rubber too...

Any Monkey input?

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Got hit by a car recently, bent my bars and front wheel, smashed their wing mirror, drivers side window and dented their door.

I ended paying her £80....

No harm in asking them to shell out but going after a full ride isn't cool if all thats damaged is a wheel, especially if he wasn't entirely in the wrong

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Ask him to pay for a new wheel.

If he objects, then get a lawyer and gut the offending driver in court.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Got hit by a car recently, bent my bars and front wheel, smashed their wing mirror, drivers side window and dented their door.

I ended paying her £80....

No harm in asking them to shell out but going after a full ride isn't cool if all thats damaged is a wheel, especially if he wasn't entirely in the wrong
You paid?

As for the original OP, I would just ask for the wheel cost.

One, you are partly at fault being on the sidewalk. Two, I think it is bad joss to ask for more than what got F'ed up.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
damage to me was minimal (my whole road bike cost me £40) damage to her car was real expensive and I was more in the wrong than she was so it evened out that I owed her money. Gutted

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
The end is the only thing that's certain.

I think you'd be within your rights, depending of course on the state, asking to be "made whole again." Which if you're just asking for rubber, spokes and a rim, then you're being very nice.

You could ask for pain and suffering, time off the bike, and the PTSD you have regarding cars now. This is letting someone off light, but for the right reasons. Your karma will be blessed for not going flame thrower on the guy.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Man, bike to work month is brutal. A guy I work with got tagged from behind this morning waiting for a light to change. The driver was cool but was verablly assaulted by a passing driver. WTF?

Anyways, just get your stuff fixed up. No need to take advantage of somebody who wasn't being malicious.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
WTF is "bad joss"

Is that like bad juju?
Folklore, taboos, and joss (luck) are integral parts of Chinese life. The Chinese have traditionally believed that spiritual currents, affected by the movements of the sun and moon, influence their daily lives. This "cosmic breath" known as Feng Shui, or "Wind and Water," is also affected by the form and size of hills and mountains, the height and shape of buildings, and by the direction of roadways.
Although, I'm pretty sure I first heard of the word in a James Clavell novel...

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Not sure of the situation/road/municipal laws, but STAY OFF THE SIDEWALK!! Cars don't expect to see you there, you move faster than pedestrians, and you're more likely to get hit, primarily at intersections and driveways. Obviously I don't know the situation here, and you could have gotten run over if you were walking, but in general riding on the sidewalk is not a good idea.

http://bicyclesafe.com/

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Not sure of the situation/road/municipal laws, but STAY OFF THE SIDEWALK!! Cars don't expect to see you there, you move faster than pedestrians, and you're more likely to get hit, primarily at intersections and driveways. Obviously I don't know the situation here, and you could have gotten run over if you were walking, but in general riding on the sidewalk is not a good idea.

http://bicyclesafe.com/

No doubt. I came out of a parking garage yesterday and crossed the sidewalk. In a car, you are blind to what's around the corner. An old dude and his wife (no helmet, riding on sidewalk), proceeded to bitch me out. There was no accident but "I didn't yeild"

Dude, get off the sidewalk!

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
I got hit back in October. My front wheel and fork were damaged. I spent 5 months off the bike due to my knee being blown out. A handful of my friends keep telling me to sue him for pain and suffering. Suing people is ridiculous and I refuse to. I just want my knee back to what it was.

I would put in a claim with your auto insurance if you have PIP coverage, this way if any injuries show them selves a few days or what not after the accident you'll still be covered and they can choose whether to go after the guy or not to cover your bills.

On a related note, my girlfriend got in an accident 3 years ago. The insurance company came up on the 3 years to settle mark and gave her a handful of extra cash after replacing her car for not trying to force him to pay out the ass.

splat

Nam I am
did you get a Police report ?

I don't care how minor it is , always Get a Police report.

And I think you are doing the right thing of only asking what the real Damage is. However I must say since I was hit in September I am much more nervous about cars going by me now then I ever was . Its weird I guess you'd call it some sort of PTSD.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Splat-
Did a report, after the fact. Wrote it myself...had another guy sign it.

MMike, living up to your tag line again I see. I think the motorist was a little freaked out, as I came off the bike in a very fowl mood, yelling and storming at him. I am not a small guy, and he was very obviously not an active individual. After I cooled down a bit I apologized for yelling...it was kind of a natural reaction I guess...

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Splat-
Did a report, after the fact. Wrote it myself...had another guy sign it.

MMike, living up to your tag line again I see. I think the motorist was a little freaked out, as I came off the bike in a very fowl mood, yelling and storming at him. I am not a small guy, and he was very obviously not an active individual. After I cooled down a bit I apologized for yelling...it was kind of a natural reaction I guess...
Oh takes the chill pill, bro bro...I was joking.

Gahd....

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The Subway and liquor store was 2 blocks away from the bike shop, which was on a 6 lane road (with a median), so I rode the sidewalk to and back.

Of course, there were several parking lots and driveways to negotiate. One of the shop kids did eat it on a sidewalk crack.

I noticed how people turn their heads when exiting the parking lot: They rarely turn their heads both ways. They will be looking the opposite direction the entire way.

I've been on foot and almost clipped by a driver blocking the sidewalk, pulling out.

But I noticed even I drive like this on occasion.

And if they are any pedestrians, it is really not a danger but it is rude.

smoke brakes

Monkey
May 18, 2007
one step closer to the lord
It's a side walk
not a side ride

I do not belive the driver is at fault
would love to know what would happen in a court of
law
my guess is as a cyclist you must obey the rules of the road ?
And as
far as I know it's pretty much not legal to drive on a side walk
in new York it's a law that is enforced and needed

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
It's a side walk
not a side ride

I do not belive the driver is at fault
would love to know what would happen in a court of
law
my guess is as a cyclist you must obey the rules of the road ?
And as
far as I know it's pretty much not legal to drive on a side walk
in new York it's a law that is enforced and needed
Depends on the state. I got hit on the sidewalk riding at a walking pace (had just left a building as a messenger) and the driver was found at fault because he technically ran the stop sign before the crosswalk.

smoke brakes

Monkey
May 18, 2007
one step closer to the lord
Depends on the state. I got hit on the sidewalk riding at a walking pace (had just left a building as a messenger) and the driver was found at fault because he technically ran the stop sign before the crosswalk.
you got hit on the side walk ....... nough said

lets think about this ...... your " dumie " ass is driving across town to pick up some corn flakes , you " do a cali roll thru your local stop " run over a hipster on a fixie , who cam across the the side walk ... you killed him ......
you wanna go to prison for a hipster blowing an intersection from a side walk ..

you mam are in the wrong from the start .....

check your local laws , over 14 on the sidewalk on a bike ... no go

sleep well enjoy your rim

Read the initial post dork...guess I am glad I am not in NY. You read like you type, right?

im not sorry if i was taking bong hits and getting blow jobs while you were in typing class ,
the fact is .. in every state .... in any court , your dumb ass was on a side walk , came into an intersection , got hit , suck it up ,
i have no idea why any person here would say you are doing the right thing by not suing , and its karma credit ,

Last edited:

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Smoke, no one cares that you were smoking ditch weed and trying to talk your cousin into fellatio in HS. Or was it junior college? Why dont you crawl back into what ever hole you have been hiding in since '07...your act is old and hackneyed.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
you got hit on the side walk ....... nough said

lets think about this ...... your " dumie " ass is driving across town to pick up some corn flakes , you " do a cali roll thru your local stop " run over a hipster on a fixie , who cam across the the side walk ... you killed him ......
you wanna go to prison for a hipster blowing an intersection from a side walk ..

you mam are in the wrong from the start .....

check your local laws , over 14 on the sidewalk on a bike ... no go

sleep well enjoy your rim

Read the initial post dork...guess I am glad I am not in NY. You read like you type, right?

im not sorry if i was taking bong hits and getting blow jobs while you were in typing class ,
the fact is .. in every state .... in any court , your dumb ass was on a side walk , came into an intersection , got hit , suck it up ,
i have no idea why any person here would say you are doing the right thing by not suing , and its karma credit ,
Wow.

Dumber than Mooshoo is tough, but you've definitely hit the nail on the head.