Quantcast

Possible trade

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
So i have a 26 inch simple(custom made) frame with nice components, but i feel that its a little big. Not only a longer tt than most other bikes, but i cant ride it in a park for my life. I fly out(and by out i mean away) from quarters and such, and it feels cumbersome.

I can trade it for this, tonic fab with ALMOST NO ride time on it. (and this is a fact)

This is the bike id trade, except mine now has a 80mm Nemesis fork on it.

simple frame custom geo
nemesis fork
pimp wheels
freecoaster rear DMR front (and a spare DMR to pimp wheel i have as well)
avid code break
3 inch rise bars and deity stem
oddyssey jr seat
deity post
vandetta cranks

The tonic has a "bmxy" parts kit on it. Not sure on exact specs, bit it looks nice to me, am i retarded?

sealclubber

Monkey
Nov 21, 2007
if you feel the trade is fair, then do it. if not, part out your bike and build what you really want. its hard to compare the two value-wise, but i'd say it wouldnt be a bad trade (both being high end/ custom frames). component-wise you're losing on the brake and fork, but you definitely sound like you want to downsize. obviously, speaking money, youd lose the deal.

i built up my liquid last month and it is perfect. i bought my p.1 3 years ago and fell in love, then after about a year i had gripes about its heft and overall size, being overbuilt for what i ride. my new 24" has almost the same cockpit stance, but shorter rear end and less weight, as well as the full rigid awesomeness, and other things as well.

i say go for the trade. sure you may lose some money/value in the trade, but it sounds like the trade will correct all/most of your current problems. if those are fixed by the trade then you haven't lost anything at all

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
can't see the tonic's front end that well but if it's not 20mm front he'd have to rebuild his front to keep the sussy fork. I take it you rode the Tonic and it has a better feel? Do you dig the rim brakes?

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
can't see the tonic's front end that well but if it's not 20mm front he'd have to rebuild his front to keep the sussy fork. I take it you rode the Tonic and it has a better feel? Do you dig the rim brakes?
not a fan of rim brakes, and id probably keep my front wheel, id keep my fork and wheel and he keeps his fork and wheel is what id probably do if i did do the trade. I use my brakes ALOT for tricks, although im told that this isnt the right way, so i think the rim brakes might not be a horrible idea. As for riding it, it was the only bike that wasnt a 26 that i didnt kill myself on in the first 2 minutes, so i "can" ride it, but i dont have extensive time on it.

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
not a fan of rim brakes, and id probably keep my front wheel, id keep my fork and wheel and he keeps his fork and wheel is what id probably do if i did do the trade. I use my brakes ALOT for tricks, although im told that this isnt the right way, so i think the rim brakes might not be a horrible idea. As for riding it, it was the only bike that wasnt a 26 that i didnt kill myself on in the first 2 minutes, so i "can" ride it, but i dont have extensive time on it.
I'm prolly missing something but isn't the fallguy 24 and yours 26? So by swapping fork and wheel a bad idea?

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
****, hub swap than, probably at my cost as well, im an idiot :mad:
I lol'd, hey that ish happens. I can see why you moved quick cuz it's not everyday you have someone down to trade straight across on that legit of a set up. A quick rebuild under a bill and you'll be rocking again. Still worth it if you end up happy on the fallguy.

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
are you able to ride it to make sure its something you would actually want? that would be the most important thing.

i say keep your bike for dirt jumps and whatever else, and spend a couple hundred on a good used bmx bike off CL or whatever if you want to get better at riding park especially if yours has 4' transitions to vert(!!). tranny that tight is sorta getting tight for a skateboard let alone a 26" bike. i just bought a new bmx off of PB for 3 bills and its dialled, plenty of deals to be had.

if youre not down with the bmx thing that tonic does look fun as hell though. I've ridden one of their 26" bikes and the fabrication details on it are just awesome and Im sure that fall guy is similar. I wouldnt be all that worried about the rim brakes, V's are plenty strong enough for a rear wheel on a bike like that. also easy to work on and light. but you have to keep your wheel a little truer than you would with a disc.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Thanks for all the help guys, however, he backed out. Wouldnt let me keep my fork which is super important to me, especially since nemesis went to sh1t. Anybody with a cheap fall guy frame for sale (and especially for trading parts) feel free to PM me. I do want to get a 24 because i cant deal with bmx bikes, just too small and i loop out every time i ride the damn things.

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
Thanks for all the help guys, however, he backed out. Wouldnt let me keep my fork which is super important to me, especially since nemesis went to sh1t. Anybody with a cheap fall guy frame for sale (and especially for trading parts) feel free to PM me. I do want to get a 24 because i cant deal with bmx bikes, just too small and i loop out every time i ride the damn things.
From my understanding Nemesis is still around just not into the mtb scene. Since fixies are the "in" thing that's what he's producing.

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
From my understanding Nemesis is still around just not into the mtb scene. Since fixies are the "in" thing that's what he's producing.
seems like quite a few companies who seemed to start out as street/park/dj steel frame mtb companies are doing that.
i guess its just more lucrative.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
seems like quite a few companies who seemed to start out as street/park/dj steel frame mtb companies are doing that.
i guess its just more lucrative.
yup... I think Tonic got burned out on the dj scene, hence why theyre farming out the fall guys/howies to tiawan and focusing on the fixies/track bikes in house. Makes sense though I bet they get tons of kids wanting discounted or free frames cause they think they have skillz. It would get old.

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
Yes Rich were still around , still building frames and buying some new tooling :D
The MTB market got saturated with oversea's frames / custom base went to sh!t as boostin pointed out !
We get allot of request for custom fixedgear's so I have been concentrating on those builds for the most part lately .

We stopped modding Marzocchi forks after the company was sold to Monroe suspension and our sales contact left . Glad to see our forks are still held in such high regard .

Last edited: