Quantcast

Portland

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Damn, that town is talking to me from every direction these days!

Just cruised over to Safeway for supplies and let a hippie looking dude with a six of Stone IPA in hand roll in front of me in the long ass one lane. He wants to chat and says he's just in from Portland since his son in in the Children's Hospital down here, asks about local Dodo (even though I look like a cop, but pretty scruffy tonight, so I acted like I didn't know the Portland Mayor's name or the name of "that one doughnut shop?" - He knew the answers...) and then encourages me to go to Portland...

WTF???

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I love Portland, but since moving to Ashland, the weather in Portland can bite me. Every time I go back it's raining (shocker, I know). But it hasn't rained in the 45 or so days I've been in Ashland vs. the 6 days of sun Portland has gotten in that same stretch.

While I think you would enjoy the riding and culture, you would kill someone after 6 months due to rain induced depression. Seriously.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Headed there from Silicon Valley tonight. Quick stop in Humboldt or Arcata (one of the two) and then we mush-mush all the way up to OR.

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
I love Portland, but since moving to Ashland, the weather in Portland can bite me. Every time I go back it's raining (shocker, I know). But it hasn't rained in the 45 or so days I've been in Ashland vs. the 6 days of sun Portland has gotten in that same stretch.

While I think you would enjoy the riding and culture, you would kill someone after 6 months due to rain induced depression. Seriously.
Mild exaggeration for effect? We've had a little rain, but we've probably had bright sun 30 of the last 45 days, at least, and closer to 6 days of rain. Ashland weather is nicer, though, no arguing that.

And on the hippie front, there just aren't that many here. Eugene, Ashland, etc., sure, but Portland is mostly normal to normal trending hipster. And, based on what I see on this board, it doesn't seem like we have any more fixie-toting hipsters here than anywhere else.

"Manatee-like metabolism" and "cop like" conjure very different images of Stinkyboy than I've created in my head over time.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Mild exaggeration for effect? We've had a little rain, but we've probably had bright sun 30 of the last 45 days, at least, and closer to 6 days of rain. Ashland weather is nicer, though, no arguing that.
OK, every night I talk to my daughter and she said its raining. I was there last weekend and it rained Friday and Saturday, the weekend before that was rain, the weekend before that was cloudy and what else? Oh yea, rain.

The old saying goes: What do you call 2 consecutive days of rain in Portland? The weekend.

The great divide is Eugene. Driving up I5 you can see the clouds from Eugene all the way north. I've lived in Portland since 1993. I didn't think I minded the rain having moved from San Diego because it was a nice change. But since moving to Ashland, I now know how much it effected my mood. Maybe not just the rain, but the overcast, gray, blah that is Portland really got to me.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
And on the hippie front, there just aren't that many here. Eugene, Ashland, etc., sure, but Portland is mostly normal to normal trending hipster. And, based on what I see on this board, it doesn't seem like we have any more fixie-toting hipsters here than anywhere else.
That town spews rancid hipsters from every orifice. Please dont understate such things to people with an honest interest in moving there.

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
That town spews rancid hipsters from ever orifice. Please dont understate such things to people with an honest interest in moving there.
Must spread rep...

I miss having lunch in Pioneer Courthouse Square and people watch the hipsters. Every 10th fixie hipster is actually a messenger, or plays one better than the others.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Portland is not that wet. It is overcast and drizzly most of the winter, so depression is high. But why they have so many strip clubs.

But let me tell you, people in Portland are very cool. Yeah the hipster count is high, but take from a San Franciscan, people here are douchebags who won't even say hi.

I've had great conversations with people up north.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Portland is not that wet. It is overcast and drizzly most of the winter, so depression is high. But why they have so many strip clubs.
50+ inches of annual rainfall isn't considered wet? Maybe not compared to Seattle, but I would say it's quite a bit of rain. The worst part is the fact that it's drizzle rain more often than not.

But people are friendly and strip clubs a plenty. I don't go to the big fancy ones (like Stars), they suck. Stick to the smaller local clubs. The Acropolus (sp?) has the best steaks in town.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i love portland. i want to go back there after i finish up here out in long island in 2013.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
50+ inches of annual rainfall isn't considered wet? Maybe not compared to Seattle, but I would say it's quite a bit of rain. The worst part is the fact that it's drizzle rain more often than not.

But people are friendly and strip clubs a plenty. I don't go to the big fancy ones (like Stars), they suck. Stick to the smaller local clubs. The Acropolus (sp?) has the best steaks in town.
You realize you'll get snow in Ashland? Ashland stays slightly warmer than Medford, but not by much.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
just the opposite, ashland is higher, more snow
I spent a lot of time over there in the winter and Ashland was always warmer. My thought was that the cold air settled in the valley and they were warmer because they were higher. My logic may suck, but I swear it was warmer