Quantcast

POLL: How many derailleurs have you trashed this year?

How many derailleurs have you trashed this year?

• None

Votes: 77 50.7%
  • 1-5

Votes: 63 41.4%
  • 5-10

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • 10+

Votes: 2 1.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
2 this year.
I broke a DuraAce in half (R.I.P.), and ripped a Saint apart. Was able to repair the Saint with parts, it's 100% again.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
One SRAM X9.
On a super-fast, super-rocky descent, the der sheared off and ripped out half of the drive-side spokes. Managed to fix the wheel as best a possible and complete the remainder of the ride. This was on a loop ride tour of the DH tracks here in Portes du Soleil. Had loads of chairlifts to get back home.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I broke 1 or 2 xt's. The one I remember bent across the top side of my cassette after a hip jump gone wrong (sideways landing). :p I also bent my chain. :rofl:

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
How do those rohloff hubs work out for ya?
Do you ride downhill or freeride with it?
I have to say, I like it a lot. I won't claim it's The Solution, but it's a solution, it's got it's own drawbacks like anything else. I use it for freeride mostly but downhill too, I've got it mounted up on a Spec. Big Hit.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Me: 12 or so times at some of the finer bars and drinking establishments around the greater North Jersey / NYC area

Derailleur: 0

07' SRAM X9 (shorty) - best bang for your buck.
:thumb:

miatagal96

Chimp
Feb 7, 2007
None this year, but twig season is just beginning!!

Hoping to demo my XT soon so I can replace it with a SRAM. I just can't get the XT adjusted right...have straightened hanger and replaced every other part of the drivetrain. Different people have attempted to fix the problem with no success.. Of course, this is the reason I haven't demo'd it yet.

My SRAM x.7 on my downhill bike shifts perfectly, despite having a seriously bent hanger.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
I have to say, I like it a lot. I won't claim it's The Solution, but it's a solution, it's got it's own drawbacks like anything else. I use it for freeride mostly but downhill too, I've got it mounted up on a Spec. Big Hit.
What are the drawbacks on it?

How much do they run? ($900?)

Sorry, and 1 more thing, aren't they meant for cross country?

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
What are the drawbacks on it?

How much do they run? ($900?)

Sorry, and 1 more thing, aren't they meant for cross country?
they typically run around $1k complete.

drawbacks would be weight (at least a lb heavier; not sure exactly), gripshift only limitation (though it works just fine in my experience), and a slight reduction in efficiency (though this is arguable; not really perceptible enough to be an issue, imo).

they've proven to be pretty much bombproof in all applications. a buddy ran one on his dh/fr bike for 4 years without issue. lots of people have logged 10's of thousand of miles on them & they refuse to die. pretty cool.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
they typically run around $1k complete.

drawbacks would be weight (at least a lb heavier; not sure exactly), gripshift only limitation (though it works just fine in my experience), and a slight reduction in efficiency (though this is arguable; not really perceptible enough to be an issue, imo).

they've proven to be pretty much bombproof in all applications. a buddy ran one on his dh/fr bike for 4 years without issue. lots of people have logged 10's of thousand of miles on them & they refuse to die. pretty cool.
Closer to $1500 complete for the bolt on, disk brake model I bought this year.

Otherwise you hit all the same points I would've brought up. Though I'm not so sure on the weight, I'm pretty sure it's less than 1lb once you take into account the full drivetrain.

Ozzer

Monkey
Dec 21, 2003
Life Ends at 619
Accepting donations of broken SRAM derailleurs to complete Optimus Sram

My friend Adrian donated 4 r ders so far and won't let go of his bent XO...give it!!

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Closer to $1500 complete for the bolt on, disk brake model I bought this year.

Otherwise you hit all the same points I would've brought up. Though I'm not so sure on the weight, I'm pretty sure it's less than 1lb once you take into account the full drivetrain.
Thanks a lot. Sounds pretty expensive, but I might spend that much in derailers anyways. The whole twist shifting doesn't sound to pleasant though...

[Tha]Shovla

Monkey
Aug 28, 2007
Somewhere over the rainbow
Running Sram 9.0 short shifter on my Dh bike, wouldnt change it for the world. just shy of 2 seasons old and i ride 4-5 days a week for 6 months out of the year so its not like it sits in the garage.

As for shifters i like the stam x.o because i can use my thumb for up and down. i brake with one finger (index) and it blows having to take my finger off the brake to shift. pluss i have oddly long fingers and my index finger is long and bumbbly to get in between the brake lever and handle bar to shift with any sort of efficiency.

-side note: you would NEVER get me to run dual lever (xtr style) shimanos on my DH bike. i dont care what you say.