Quantcast

Plushness question

vibiker

Monkey
May 3, 2004
Santa Clara / Vashon
I have an Ellsworth Id (4 bar w/ Romic shock). I also have a DC Sherman Slider. 6" front and rear. I have the compression and rebound dampening setup kind of slow. By doing so I am able to keep my take-offs and landings from jumps and drops very straight and controlled.

However, with the slower suspension the ride is not at all plush. I tested a riding- buddy's DH bike (single pivot rear with 7.5" travel) and the difference was astonishing. It was so incredibly plush, it seemed to float over any bump or hit.

Not that I expect my bike to perform like a full on DH rig with 25% more travel, but am I missing something? Is there a way setup my suspension to have more plushness yet still have solid feel?

Thanks,
John

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Your suspension may be packing if you set up your damping (not dampening) to be too slow.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
Too stiff a spring rate, too much compression damping, and (to a lesser extent) too much rebound damping can all cause the bike to feel un-plush. Even more so if you're running SPV stuff with the air pressure right up (sounds like you have an oldschool TPC+ Slider, so won't need to worry about that).

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
see my post on mtbr, there are a lot of variables that could be working/affecting here.