Quantcast

Please help a Grom out

Oct 9, 2006
So this spring I was working in a bike shop in Bend Oregon when a soft spoken young lad came strolling in our shop with an apprehensive look on his face and and asked me for a job saying that he wanted to learn to work on bikes. I told the little fella that we couldnt hire him on because of his age. I told him to come in on Sundays and hang around the service area and I would teach him as much as possible.

So about a week or so later he show up for his first day of "lessons". He starts to make a habit of hanging around on the days that I am the only mechanic, which is perfect because I had the whole service area to myself. Long story short I nearly lost my job because I was letting the kid watch how to work on bikes while I was doing repairs.

After seeing how the shop handled the situation I decided I could no longer work there, so I quit. I had to move to the East coast for the summer to work. My little Grom buddy is now out there and in desperate need of a better bike.

I have already upgraded the old FSR Ground Control that he has with Shimano XT disc brake, Shimano two piece cranks a new bar and stem, shifters and derailleur and tires,etc. etc. etc.

I am putting it out there to see if anyone has any parts they would be willing to donate to help the kid get on a better bike. I am looking to build him a downhill capable bike as I will be taking him to Whistler for a week in September. So what he needs is a smaller sized frame, fork, and anything else you may have lying around.

Please email me at......missiongravity at gmail .com

thanks,
Moffatt

Here he is on a demo bike going for our last ride together before I left Oregon.

Attachments

boxxerace

Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
@ Japanese Gultch
Your a good guy Gravity!

mmm, I'll dig through my stuff and see if I have anything worth while. Most of the spare parts I have are old XC stuff.

I'll ask around!

P.S. Your buddy is in Bend, correct?

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2006
Thanks Boxxerace ! ! !

The kid is in Bend, I am in SC and was hoping to build the bike and ship it out to him as a surprise, or better yet show up with it the day I go to pick him up on the way to Whistler.

I already have a Santa Cruz Chameleon I have built up for him out of all the rest of my spare parts waiting for him. He is gonna be stoked, I am jealous of the bike. It has a fresh powdercoat, a nixon platinum, a King headset, stylo cranks, fresh lock-ons, fresh rubber, new bar-stem-seat-and post. It is sweet.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
How tall is he? I might have a frame, if he's big enough.

Edit: looking at the picture, not a chance. Bummer.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2006
I did, the jersey, and shoes were part of my old kit and I bought him the shorts before the ride because he showed up in jeans.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
He is about 5'4" and growing like a weed. What frame is it and what size?

Thanks for the responses !
Yeah, not a chance then. It's a large KHS FR 2000. 6" travel FR bike, not a DH rig by any means, but it's something. But he's like 8" too short.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Hey Moffatt - I have a .243 racing stem and bars and maybe a set of older tires that you can have. I may have some other parts too - will have to check. I'll give you a shout this afternoon. :thumb:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I've got some Hayes Mags that are still functional that I could donate. I don't have adapters or rotors to go with them, but its a start. I'll give them a fresh bleed if you want them. Not sure about the conditions of the brake pads, but I can check on that.

Also, I've got an old style MRP chainguide if you can't get your hands on anything better.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Regarding the Mags - I've got a slew of spare Hayes parts and I just picked up this pile of various adaptors from the $3 bin at www.bikewagon.com - maybe I've got an adaptor set that would work with those brakes for the kid.

Just keep me in the loop.

Oct 9, 2006
I have a 04 Bighit Grom frame hanging in the shop..any interest in it?
That sounds great...I have a line on a regular bighit spec frame I lent/gave to a bud a year or so ago, he m ay give it back but if doesnt wanna give it up that would be the perfect frame for him now!!!

Jon Kranked...those brakes sound great, he will love them. If you could shoot me an email at the address listed in the first post we can sort out shipping costs!!!

Kenan...Whats up buddy, we were in Pisgah on sunday but I heard you were at Beech so I didnt call. May be coming up in a week or so. I would love to get those bars and stem.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Can do. I'll rummage through my parts bin tonight to see what else I've got. I think I've got a cassette that would be in good enough shape, and I'm almost positive I have a few XT deraillers that are still good.

Oct 9, 2006
So as it stands, I have found a frame and rear shock for him, I have a headset, cranks and bottom bracket, I have a shifter and rear derailleur, cassette.

I need bash guard(4bolt) and guide, fork(possibly a 180 dual crown with 20mm axle?), a wheelset would be awesome but I can give him my back up set if I have to.

Other than that I have all the necessary sundries to finish it off.

Thanks to all who have replied.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I've got an old white bros. 180mm groove race... sometimes it's hard to get the right brake adapters to fit on it, but it's up for grabs.

Only catch is it's currently in storage until we move in to our new house and we don't get to move in to our new house until BofA pulls it together and gets us the paperwork to sign. Hopefully I'll be able to get to it by next week though.

Oct 9, 2006
I've got an old white bros. 180mm groove race... sometimes it's hard to get the right brake adapters to fit on it, but it's up for grabs.

Only catch is it's currently in storage until we move in to our new house and we don't get to move in to our new house until BofA pulls it together and gets us the paperwork to sign. Hopefully I'll be able to get to it by next week though.
That sounds pretty awesome, out of curiosity what year is it and what condition? He is a young kid and cant afford maintenance on a rare fork. He will however be stoked on whatever he gets. Keep in touch and we can figure out shipping and so on!!

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I'm not sure on the year. I want to say '06 and if I remember right it's a pre-production fork. It works well enough and is an air fork, so as he gets bigger he won't have to worry about buying new springs. It does have some tire clearance issues, the largest I think you can go is a 2.5 maxxis dh tire. You can drop me an email at bdamschen AT gmail dot com

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Whats up Moffatt? I dont have much in the way of spare parts, but I have some Jersey's that are almost new that I never wear, and a pair of Troy Lee Moto Shorts that I could donate if you think he could use them.

We gotta set up a ride if your back in SC. :thumb:

John is gonna be back in NC August 8th through the 16th as well. We're gonna try to set up a big ride with everyone, and Im sure he'd be stoked to see you out there.

Oct 9, 2006
Whats up Moffatt? I dont have much in the way of spare parts, but I have some Jersey's that are almost new that I never wear, and a pair of Troy Lee Moto Shorts that I could donate if you think he could use them.

We gotta set up a ride if your back in SC. :thumb:

John is gonna be back in NC August 8th through the 16th as well. We're gonna try to set up a big ride with everyone, and Im sure he'd be stoked to see you out there.
I am sure anything he gets he will love...hopefully one of the Jerseys has JEFKILL written across the back.

I am down for a ride the weekend of the 16th but we are having a garage sale on the 8th with the whole family. I definitely want to get up and ride with yall though!!!

I will call ya!!

Oct 9, 2006
Pics will be up soon. I got most everything together on the bike, Bdamschen hooked it up with the fork(waiting for FEDEX, then it goes on). I bought the wheels, brakes, shifter and der. from a buddy, DrKenan threw in the bar and stem. I had cranks, headset and the frame.

I cant wait to see the look on his face when I roll up with his new bike.

Now I am gonna ask for one more favor if anyone has an airshock with 7.9" eye to eye, 2.25" stroke measurements let me know. He is a pretty small guy and it may be tough to get a coil shock set up for him.

Thanks to everyone who has offered help and especially to those who have thrown down parts already.

cneums

Monkey
Jul 9, 2009
Maryland, USA
damn man, i wish i knew guys like you. my local shop dudes are cool and all but man, all the work i do as a younger guy just to keep my bikes in shape and semi-running...

anyways, on topic, i have a pair o' wheels, (recently trued and tensioned) rhynolite and i forget what the front wheel is, but it was pretty good.. then again you said you bought some, but if you still want 'em. otherwise i might have a pair of gloves or some old clothing...if he has a big-ass head i have a 661 evo helmet, or if he has a normal head a fox rampage (i'm not sure you want this though, it was in a crash).

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
So as it stands, I have found a frame and rear shock for him, I have a headset, cranks and bottom bracket, I have a shifter and rear derailleur, cassette.

I need bash guard(4bolt) and guide, fork(possibly a 180 dual crown with 20mm axle?), a wheelset would be awesome but I can give him my back up set if I have to.

Other than that I have all the necessary sundries to finish it off.

Thanks to all who have replied.

I have a couple E13 bash guards. I have one that just came with a DRS that I don't think Ill need. It's yours if you need it.

Oct 9, 2006
I have a couple E13 bash guards. I have one that just came with a DRS that I don't think Ill need. It's yours if you need it.
Thanks for the offer. I would take it as an upgrade if you didn't mind shipping it. Right now I have one but it is marginal. I will be happy to pay for shipping.