Quantcast

Play in the axle?

Rideforfun

Monkey
Nov 23, 2009
So I just got a new (to me) 2008 P.2 Cromo. Well, I noticed that the axle has some play in it. I was just wondering if this was normal, if it was no big deal, or if I shouldn't be riding it. I rode it for a while today after I got it home and it didn't really seem to be affecting it too much. Just making some rattling noises on landings. Just wanted to know if I should be worried. Otherwise I'm loving the bike. :thumb:

Scrub

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2003
NOR CAL, Sac/CoCo County
You didn't say front or rear axle but regardless I would remove the wheel and check the bearings for play, usually its just a quick tightening of the cones/bearing caps. If that doesn't work it may be that the bearings are shot but also check the axle for any damage/wear.

What kind of wheel/hub is it, quick release?

Rideforfun

Monkey
Nov 23, 2009
Sorry, I failed. Its the front and its not quick release. I rode it today and I think I just didn't have the caps tight enough. I tightened them down today and it seemed solid.

zebrahum

Monkey
Jun 22, 2005
SL,UT
Yeah, if anything rattles, clanks, creaks, or clanks then something is wrong. Did you pinch down the locknuts against the cones or just twist the locknuts against each other? The pinch on the locknuts is the way to keep it from happening again quickly. Check out:

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=105

It's a little overboard, but should get you pointed in the right direction on how to adjust your hub.