Quantcast

planning a trip...

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Some friends and I are planning a trip for the end of August. We'd like to find a place where we can ride a good singletrack to a mountain lake that we can camp at, and use it as a base to do day rides/hikes from for about a week. Theres 6 of us going, so we can spread the weight of food/supplies on our backs fairly well. But we are having trouble finding a good trail/lake to ride to. anyone have any suggestions for us? anywhere in the pnw/montana/cali/Nevada/Utah?

Apr 28, 2006
Kirkland, WA
check out Baker Lake, out near Mt. Baker. Good trails definatley from what I hiked when I went, not 100% on the bikeability though. Check it out though, Baker Lake.

krustydude

Monkey
Mar 16, 2004
Richland, WA
It's kinda short but there is a five mile long trail to Packwood Lake just outside Packwood, WA by White Pass. It's definitally bikeable and if you like fishing it's stocked with trout. There is also a trail from Lost Lake to Long Lake on the backside of Rimrock Lake on White Pass.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
You can head up into the Teanaway to Esmeralda basin and ride any myriad of ways up to Gallagher Head Lake and there are trails peeling off in all directions that will keep you busy for a few days at least. Higher country riding with lots of rock and gnarl. The lake is pretty shallow and warms up fast too. Just a little slimy so you have to salamander crawl out to the deeper sections. Great peek-a-boo view of Rainier too.

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
Check out the mad river area. I hiked a ways in on one trip and there were quite a few lakes, some with tons of trout. Motorcycles are allowed for part of the year so check the access rules for bikes etc, but it could be good.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Mudpuppy has a point. Mad Lake and Two Little lakes are easily accessable from the South on the Mad River Trail. All moto stuff in the area and can be a bit dusty in August but again, trails peeling off from every direction and a classic in the Chikamin Tie Trail on the way back down. You can leave your car at Deer Camp or Goose Creek and just ride up to Maverick Saddle. Lots of options from the top and Mad Lake would be a nice place to fish, post ride swim, and ride from.
Can't really shuttle it too so it gets light bike traffic despite being a northwest classic. Lots of reports from over the years if you Google Mad Lake.