Quantcast

Planet X Splittail: some rear shock info...

dirtpaws

Chimp
Jan 19, 2004
Parts Unknown
I emailed Zed Sports with some questions about the Splittail rear shock.

Thought I post the info here since there is little info on this bike, it's not even listed on the Planet X site (just prototype photos, not info).

What size shock does it require? I have a spare Manitou Swinger 3way
7.5 x 2.0 and a 6.5 x 1.5.
Either will work, obviously the 7.5 x 2.0 will give you more travel

For the frame that does come with a shock, what shock make/model
would that be?
We ship with Rockshock Pearl 3.3

Can it fit a front derailluer?
No

Pete from Zed Sport also sent me the email below:
  • The leverage ratio of the splitail is 2.6:1
  • This means if you put a 1.5" stroke shock on the bike you will get 3.9" travel at the rear wheel
  • If you put a 2" stroke shock in the bike you will get 5.2" travel at the rear wheel.
  • We do not recommend a shock longer than 7.5"

g33grant

Chimp
Jul 20, 2006
Ive also looked into this bike and have found little to nothing on it, do you know of anywhere else to find more out about this bike?

dirtpaws

Chimp
Jan 19, 2004
Parts Unknown
g33grant said:
Ive also looked into this bike and have found little to nothing on it, do you know of anywhere else to find more out about this bike?
Yeah, I can't find much info on this frame either.

There are some post by one of their sponsored riders (I think) over on the Planet X forums, I didn't bookmark the thread, but do a seach over there should be a couple threads:
http://www.teamplanetx.com/forum/index.php?

I was talking to the Zed Sports people and they told me that the frame comes in two sizes.

The smaller of the two sizes is meant to be a one size fits all 4x/jumping frame to fit people of any size (like a BMX bike one size deal). The larger size is more meant to be a freeride/playbike.

With the multiple shock positions and shock lengths, you can really tune the bikes geometry to your needs.

I have two extra Manitou Swingers, a 7.5 and a 6.5 length shocks, so the shockless frame price of $650 seems tempting.

f0ggy

Monkey
Aug 6, 2006
Ca
Ive test ridden it, and I have to say that im in love....with a bike, it will be my next bike

Cheetabrian

Chimp
Jan 6, 2005
I have had my splittail for almost a year and I love it. I definitely would recommend getting one. I bought it thinking I would just ride it on the rougher trails and ride my Cheeta hardtail all the other time at the jumps and stuff but I pretty much only ride the splittail now.

The picture of the bike with the red tires is the older style with a different top tube. The picture of just the frame is the current frame. It has different shock positions and I have mine set in the top setting which makes the top of the frame and seat lower.

Mordax

Monkey
Sep 13, 2003
Redding, CA
does anyone have this frame in a size medium? im trying to figure out which size i want

i'm 5'10 and the bike will be built for north shore trail riding/freeride