Quantcast

Pics of new feature at Snowshoe

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
Various people have been asking for pics of the new feature we just finished here at Snowshoe, so I figured that now is as good a time as any to post it. As you can see, it's pretty much three huge berms roughly 8 to 10 foot tall. If anyone can remember the dirt berms we had cut into the trail on "H", these are built right over top of them to replace and make that section flow better. I haven't had the chance to ride it yet, but the ones that have said it's super fast and very flowy! It sort of reminds me of a vintage wooden roller coaster.

Attachments

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
Took almost two weeks to build. There's a lot of wood in that structure that was hauled up the mtn on shoulder........keep in mind there's a third berm above it that you can't see in the pics.

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
Ha! When I first saw that thing on Whistlers site early this morning I sat here wondering "who" and "how"..............I can't imagine anyone but the absolute best of the best pros actually riding that! Just looks like gnar waiting to happen!!!! I really wish I had the fundage to make it to Whistler for the Crankworx event to watch and be inspired. Hell, I wish I could just make it to Whistler anytime this summer.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Hulk man, I think i love you and I dont even know you! That looks SICK, I will be down for my 3rd weekend this summer soon...Keep up the killer builds. As for the whistler stuff, i agree...Who will ride that but the best? Is the talent up there that good that all the locals can hit it? I think the scariest part about it is that the landing isnt dirt! It is gonna be sick...So is that a picture of snowshoe in the summer of 2006?

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
manhattanprjkt83 said:
As for the whistler stuff, i agree...Who will ride that but the best? Is the talent up there that good that all the locals can hit it? I think the scariest part about it is that the landing isnt dirt! It is gonna be sick...So is that a picture of snowshoe in the summer of 2006?

that things called the "tower of power" and i think its only for the crankworks festival (invitation only) i dunno if it will stay in the boneyard permenetly or just for the event
________
Medical marijuana seeds

Last edited:

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
That looks really fun in the rain :rolleyes:
I hope there is something on it to keep it from being slick as snot. Dupont or 3m should look into what makes logs so slippery. If the could capture and bottle that stuff, youd be rich.

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
buildyourown said:
That looks really fun in the rain :rolleyes:
I hope there is something on it to keep it from being slick as snot. Dupont or 3m should look into what makes logs so slippery. If the could capture and bottle that stuff, youd be rich.
Mr. Positive :rolleyes:

Hulk, is there any way to get a feature on the Snowshoe page giving us trail condition reports? To be perfectly honest (yes, I'm a puss), I don't want to drive all the way out there when it's muddy as all heck. It would be nice to know what condition the mud is in :)

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
Pretty much every feature has traction material on it (thick chicken wire type stuff). It provides tons of traction on the wood, so when they are a littl wet you really don't notice it at all. If you look closely, or check out the bigger pics we will have up on our site here shortly, you can see the shiny metal traction material we use is speady generously on the feature.

Matt D,
I'll see if we can get something up on the website as a daily or weekly trail conditions update. The trails are in really good condition right, it hasn't rained for a couple of days and everything is either dry or tacky. The skies are a little cloudy/overcast today, but nothing has happened yet. As always, there is some mud to be found, but nothing even close to Norba......more like how it was prior to the rain on that friday.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
The new berm rides awesome. I took a hard fall on Wednesday and tweaked my shoulder so I spent Thursday hiking the trails and taking pictures.

When the berm was finished on Thursday Trevin was the first one to ride it. He railed the **** out of it on his first run!! On his second run he railed it even harder and manualed out of the last corner. I got it on video and will post it when I can.

My shoulder felt better on Friday and I got to ride the berm a bunch of times and it felt better each time I rode it. The only problem was you had so much speed coming out of the berm it was almost impossible to make the right turn after the berm to continue on H. Kelly and the guys working on the trail said they were going to build another bermed corner to thow you around the corner to continue on H.

Trail C to trail H rocked. Very tech on B and very flowy on H. Nice combo!!

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
man these berms look so much better and hit able in there complete form. i saw them when they were building them and they looked very tough. but they look so nice now!!!

Snowshoe rocks!!

keep up the good work!!

peace

thespackler

Chimp
Apr 21, 2004
No offense....but why wouldnt you just build the berms out of dirt? seems like another place where lumber was used when you could have just built them out of dirt. dirt=faster=safer=less work=way way more fun.

Booker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Louisville, KY
Looks to me like it would be pretty hard to get a dump truck full of dirt to that location. And a few dump trucks would be about the only way to get the amount dirt needed for burms that big.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Matt D said:
Mr. Positive :rolleyes:

Hulk, is there any way to get a feature on the Snowshoe page giving us trail condition reports? To be perfectly honest (yes, I'm a puss), I don't want to drive all the way out there when it's muddy as all heck. It would be nice to know what condition the mud is in :)
Exactly my sentiments. As a less-skilled and more cautious PVSS, I am looking forward to getting out there on the LEAST muddy day possible. I know, I know...that's kind of like asking for the least sunny teatime in Death Valley, but I want my introduction to the trails to be ideal. My bike and my bones would prefer to get a full day of riding in before the trail gremlins kick out my front tire. :)

thespackler

Chimp
Apr 21, 2004
Booker said:
Looks to me like it would be pretty hard to get a dump truck full of dirt to that location. And a few dump trucks would be about the only way to get the amount dirt needed for burms that big.
looks like diablo manages to do it...so i guess it can be done...but for some reason snowshoe insists on building unsightly wood features.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Jeez...can't the customer just decide for themself? I would love to ride both Diablo and Snowshoe. Is there some mysterious force of nature at work the forbids both from peacefully coexisting? They both look cool so why can't a single thread about one exist without mention of or comparison to the other?

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
thespackler said:
looks like diablo manages to do it...so i guess it can be done...but for some reason snowshoe insists on building unsightly wood features.

I'm not gonna take part in your on going pissing contest, but those berms you pictured at diablo aren't even in the woods!!!!

What's up with that? don't you like riding your mtn bike in the woods!?!?!?

that's a nice bikercross course though!

there really isn't much comparision in diablous and snowshoe and I think that rocks!!! I say this because if you want smooth, fast, jumpy trails Diablous has it locked, they have some great jumps and fast berms.... If you are more into technical riding than snowshoe is the spot to go ride........

edit: to each there own, they aren't anything alike, so there is no comparison, they can co exist and will co exist!

spackler, do you always carry this negativity everywhere you go? is everything ok? You seem very pissed off at the world! some like riding these "unsightly wooden features" just keep it in mind that others like to ride this stuff.

Tweek

I Love Cheap Beer!
Castle said:
I'm not gonna take part in your on going pissing contest, but those berms you pictured at diablo aren't even in the woods!!!!

What's up with that? don't you like riding your mtn bike in the woods!?!?!?

that's a nice bikercross course though!

there really isn't much comparision in diablous and snowshoe and I think that rocks!!! I say this because if you want smooth, fast, jumpy trails Diablous has it locked, they have some great jumps and fast berms.... If you are more into technical riding than snowshoe is the spot to go ride........

edit: to each there own, they aren't anything alike, so there is no comparison, they can co exist and will co exist!

spackler, do you always carry this negativity everywhere you go? is everything ok? You seem very pissed off at the world! some like riding these "unsightly wooden features" just keep it in mind that others like to ride this stuff.
:stupid:
Word.
I'm tired of seeing spackler's Diablo is better than [Plattekill | Snowshoe | etc.] posts for the past couple weeks. Accept the different places for what they are. I know Snowshoe doesn't blindly plop wooded features in a spot for kicks. There actually is rhyme and reason. They also use dirt for berms where they can and use wood where they can't.

Jul 12, 2004
Ohio
Give the dude a wheel barrow and a pile of dirt and he can haul that shiznit up in those woods. That way he can be happy and it will get him off his arse.

Booker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Louisville, KY
Castle said:
I'm not gonna take part in your on going pissing contest...........
I agree. Getting a dump truck in the woods is a bit harder than driving it down a ski slope.

The dude has a chip on his shoulder over something. I am stoked to see Snowshoe adding to their mountain. I really don't feel the need to sling negative energy at other peoples work. My guess is that 'thespackler" just likes to play trail engineer and complain. Whatever.

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
Looks like it'd be heaps of fun to ride, but personally I'd much prefer things like that to be made out of dirt. I just have alot more confidence in dirt, harder to build with intially, but the maintainence and durability outweighs that.
That said, when people get bored of riding on wood, I'm sure it won't be too hard to tear down and install something else.