Quantcast

Picked up a new toy today.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
Decided to sell my mk3 gti as parts and got 3K for it in pieces. Gonna cop a '01 Cabrio for my lady and I was trying to sell her on a Rabbit after she saw one on the road and wanted one. Well she decided she didn't want one after me talking about driving one.

Too late for me, I had the bug again. Called about a really clean, mostly rust free 77 on craigslist. Tiny quarter sized rust dot on the a-pillar. Car has a 1.8 8v in it. Not sure what route it's gonna go, but i dig the agate brown. Thinking G60, coils and wheels, interior retrim.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
I drove it home tonight, a couple impressions.

1.8l 8v mated to the 4 speed is a little ripper in a car that weights nothing.
these things are small, like reach the other door without leaning over small
light output inside and out is almost nonexistent.
gonna have to run corrado seats if I want this car to be comfortable to drive at all.

Alright got on order. coilovers, euro bumpers, crystal clear tails/turns/h4 headlights, duckbill and badge less grill.

Thinking of taking the tails and turns and having them either painted clear red or just doing it myself.

Might actually order up a eurospecsport 10:1 1.8L 8v or build me a 9A 2L w/ gti head and lumpy cam.

Also in a interesting turn of events I traded my gti for a 96 Jetta GLS and $1100 cash . Super clean auto jetta for the lady.

Last edited:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
No crisis....just miss having something to wrench on that I enjoy driving. Had plenty of muscle cars and wanted to try something different.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I picked this up a few weeks ago.

With any luck it goes under the knife next Spring. Engine/trans/rear end/control arms/brakes plus the traction control and select ride control all goes into my '66 C10. :rofl:

Back:

Front:

I am looking at rebuilding the LT1 to 383ci and about 400rwhp. Should be a fun truck.

<edit> My midlife crisis has begun.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I was looking to do an LS motor in my truck, but a complete LS1 was $3500. I got this for $4k and it runs perfect. There is a yard in Longview that will buy the shell off me for $1k. The same shop wanted $2k for the rear axle and front crossmember.

The cheapest I could find the Vette parts was $800 for the front and $1k for the rear. I actually saved quite a bit buying the total package. I really wanted the 6 speed, but the 4l60e with shift kit will fit the Cadillac DTS interior better.

Plus I get to drive it until Porterbuilt is done with my suspension pieces. The C4 body is my least favorite, but the interior is nice and it's fun as hell to drive. The later C4's are WAY nicer than the early C4's.

<edit> You can see the truck in the driveway. :rofl:

Last edited:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Damn...for that, you can't beat it. Plus, when doing a swap like that, it's nice to know that you at least have all the pieces instead of trying to hunt something down. Then, you can make some bucks back on whatever you don't use.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I was just going to do the standard Porterbuilt suspension setup until this came up on CL. It did bump the budget up a little, but this will be the 5th truck with full C4 front/rear but the only one with traction control and selective ride control. The new Select Series Shockwaves are so bad ass.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
That's a pretty sweet project. I love me some old trucks. Ohio's GTI is pretty dope too, I would daily drive the crap out of that with a bike rack.

My brother is looking to buy a 64 continental...so we will most likely be bagging that in the future.

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
Nice find. We have an 88 GTI in the garage that's mint. I'm not sure what to do with it since most of the stuff I've worked on has been 4x4's.

Is there a turbo that'll fit this thing?

I only drove it a few times before winter and it's awesome in the city but it seems geared a little low for the highway.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
lots of cool things going on in here. keep posting updates!

Rain, With the '84 your best bet is swapping over to the ABA 2L and turboing that as there are some sorted/solid kits available. Or do the frankenstein 2L 16V and turbo that.

These cars weren't really geared as highway cars, little buzz boxes, but you can play with transmissions. I'd like to have a 5-speed with 3.94R/P for this thing.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Too late for me, I had the bug again. Called about a really clean, mostly rust free 77 on craigslist. Tiny quarter sized rust dot on the a-pillar. Car has a 1.8 8v in it. Not sure what route it's gonna go, but i dig the agate brown. Thinking G60, coils and wheels, interior retrim.

Dude....IT CAME IN ROOTBEER!

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
So, looks like the front of the cars gotta come up a bit, or i need to c-notch the frame and possibly get shortened axles. ****s bangin and rubbin something fierce. Vibration was so bad I though the wheel bearing went from OK to totally blown instantly.

I think a c-notch will be inorder.