Quantcast

Periodically replacing handlebars?

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
I just did a search to see if there were any threads that addressed periodically replacing one's handlebars and didn't find any info. What are people's thoughts regarding the need to replace handlebars after one season of regular use? Two seasons? n-seasons? Does the aluminum fatigue enough under regular, fairly hard usage (rocky DH riding, drops in the 3-4' ballpark, and the occasional big hit) to warrant periodic replacement to preempt breakage during use? How often do you replace your bars for these reasons (if at all)?

The handlebar in question is just some plain-jane Azonic riser on my Banshee that has seen two trips to Whistler/BC and near-weekly use for the last two years. There's nothing superficially wrong with them but would retiring them now be wise? Thanks in advance. :)

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
I wouldn't think so. If it were a super-light CF bar or something, that mught be a good idea. But I've only heard of replacing your h/bar after a crash(which no one I know actually does).

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
I like to go with a yearly replacement on my DH bike and shoot the used bar down to an XC or beater bike. Hell, even that often wasn't enough this summer! Not having that issue on my mind on ANY level is nice.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
DßR said:
I like to go with a yearly replacement on my DH bike and shoot the used bar down to an XC or beater bike. Hell, even that often wasn't enough this summer! Not having that issue on my mind on ANY level is nice.

:D

i do the same (demote bars from bigger bikes on down. maybe my road bike should have risers next year so that i can use bars for yet another go-around ;) )

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
DßR said:
bahaa, right on the money Toshi!! :thumb:
Good call guys. It was actually that incident pictured above that I had in mind when I was thinking about this issue. I will always be in awe of how you managed to ride that out when it broke :eek: :D.

budgetrider

Monkey
Jan 23, 2005
All aluminum fatigues, how fast depends on how much and how hard you use it. For me 2 seasons max. Sooner, if I notice the bar feeling flexier on drops. Running wider lengths will also speed up fatiguing at the bar/stem junction

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
I think the 31.8 standard helped to address this problem.
Hopefully the bar will bend initially, that would be ideal.

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
defiinatly replace the bars on your dh bike every 2 seasons. if your a larger rider or harder on your equipment you might want to do it every season. use your own judgement.
i just retire the dh bars to the xc communting bike keep and them there till i get new dh bars for my dh bike