Quantcast

PDC freeride, redesign....

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
kyle got this new frame hours before he left for the outdoor show in Vancouver, it's killer, and I want one, badly.....a much more refined design for sure! scroll down a bit for new pics! yeah, it's kinda spammy, but damnit, people want to see the goods they're putting out! :) oh, there's some shots of the hardtail built up too, that dropout system is badasss!

http://www.dropmachine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=125753#125753

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
zedro said:
sweet, and i like that the top link is braced, but whats with the inserts which the bolts that fasten the brace down pass through?

They look like threaded inserts, the kind that are common in wooden furniture. I'm not sure why you wouldn't just tap the plate but it seems like it would be plenty strong and you wouldn't have to worry about the threads stripping.

CreeP

Monkey
Mar 8, 2002
montreal bitch
that's definitely what they are but they seem an odd choice from a stiffness perspective as the fit(steel to alu) is going to decay somewhat.

I have to wonder if the weight target kyle mentioned last time has been met as this looks heavier.

The shock actuation has changed too. The shock is no longer actuated by the link, it now attaches to the swingarm.

CreeP

Monkey
Mar 8, 2002
montreal bitch
just found what Kyle said about weight before:

"The prototype frames with a 2.75" stroke shock weighed 8.5lbs. The production version I estimate to be another pound, will confirm when it's all dressed"

so that fits with my assumption that it is heavier.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
buildyourown said:
They look like threaded inserts, the kind that are common in wooden furniture. I'm not sure why you wouldn't just tap the plate but it seems like it would be plenty strong and you wouldn't have to worry about the threads stripping.
yeah at that depth theres more than enough threading

edit: just noticed the bearing caps, now thats really cool. Thats the kinda of extra touches and detail i expect to see on small makers bikers

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
One step further, why not use recessed allen bolts on the brace instead of bulky looking bolts?

Probably beta issues....

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
punkassean said:
One step further, why not use recessed allen bolts on the brace instead of bulky looking bolts?

Probably beta issues....
yeah noticed that looked funky too, countersinking definitly in order, maybe didnt have any in, they arent all that common in a decent finish it seems.

edit: maybe the inserts were to avoid stress raisers via threading?

=[Stinky]=

I like bagels and turkey sandwiches
Sep 9, 2001
Atlanta YEAAAHHH!
Spitfired said:
How do those pivots work?
What kind of bearings?

I thought there was somthing on their site about it, but I didn't see it. Maybe I'm crazy.

Talking to Ian way back on MSN... He was sold on needle bearings... So thats my guess.

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
Hot damn is that a good looking rig. I think I remember Kyle throwing a price out there and it wasn't outrageous.

So many parallel linkage bikes to choose from...

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
thaflyinfatman said:
Yep, Kyle has confirmed that they're needle bearings. And guess who's got one of those HTs on the way? :cool:
you whore!! ;) The HT reminds me of my PX (last of the RAD frames)....I love EASTON rad tubing.

Nice work Kyle...that FS bike is hawt!! One question, why QR and not TA?

Spitfired

Monkey
Jun 18, 2004
Rochester, NY
How do they deal with thrust loads on the needle bearings?
The pivots will be able to take a plethora of drops, but won't tracking and rear end stiffness suffer?
I dun get it.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
kyle got the fr frame a few hours before they left for the outdoor show, it was straight outta the box! as for needle bearings dealing with thrust loads, I have no idea how to answer that, but they've been running needle bearings in the dh-one for a couple of years now with zero issues, so I don't imagine that's something he's too concerned about! the cartridge bearings just weren't up to the task on the original proto, which is also why you see the increased bracing on the new frame.......

....and how's this for cool, martin ogden (sp?) is racing the hardtail in england, if I remember correctly kyle said he even won his first race on it.....

Evel Monkey

Monkey
Oct 28, 2003
PNW
thaflyinfatman said:
Yep, Kyle has confirmed that they're needle bearings. And guess who's got one of those HTs on the way? :cool:
I've tried emailing throught the site without any response. Do you know the selling price and sizes available (tt length mainly) for the HT?

Thanks

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
FlipFantasia said:
kyle got the fr frame a few hours before they left for the outdoor show, it was straight outta the box! as for needle bearings dealing with thrust loads,
you would need a thrust support component, either some kind of thrust bearing or bushing; needle bearings alone will come apart with any type of axial movement.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Spitfired said:
How do they deal with thrust loads on the needle bearings?
The pivots will be able to take a plethora of drops, but won't tracking and rear end stiffness suffer?
I dun get it.

Probably the same way as the older DHRs. ('01-'02) Needle bearings for the majority of the radial load with thrust bushings (washers) for the thrust loads. Stupid simple and effective IMO.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
Evel Monkey said:
I've tried emailing throught the site without any response. Do you know the selling price and sizes available (tt length mainly) for the HT?

Thanks
RRP is $950cdn, top tube length is, iirc, 22.125" centre to centre (one size only). Also 5.1lbs, Easton Rad tubing (not the faux-RAD), short chainstays (at or under 16") horizontally adjustable vertical dropouts... :drool:

grimm

Monkey
Jan 12, 2002
Sweden
A WHOLE lot of welds on that bike.. any chance of reducing them, or is that the final production model? More welds = more chance of failure in my book, otherwise the bike looks nice and different. A thing i like about PDC.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
grimm said:
A WHOLE lot of welds on that bike.. any chance of reducing them, or is that the final production model? More welds = more chance of failure in my book, otherwise the bike looks nice and different. A thing i like about PDC.
That's kind of faulty logic, that's like saying "more tubes = more potential places for failure"... the loads are gonna be the same on the bike as a whole, more welds = more weld area to spread said loads across :)

grimm

Monkey
Jan 12, 2002
Sweden
thaflyinfatman said:
That's kind of faulty logic, that's like saying "more tubes = more potential places for failure"... the loads are gonna be the same on the bike as a whole, more welds = more weld area to spread said loads across :)

well maybe, still i reckon a cnc'd billet bit to replace all those welds by the linkage would be better.

not saying the frame is weaker by all the welds, but a bad weld is a bigger possibility if their are more welds than it would infact need.

but i guess pcd guys know what they are doing. :)

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
Yeah fair call, but a) it'd have to be heaps cheaper to weld that with 3 pieces rather than machine out 1 piece (you'd waste SO much metal with something that shape!), and b) the weld areas are huge, relatively speaking, and as such I'd have a bit of faith in them. Plus, Kyle is a smart fella.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
looks good guys

mayes bolts are the best!
they give you a ton extra
for EO! i use then when ever i can.

lanman

Monkey
Nov 2, 2001
Natick, MA
Acadian said:
you whore!! ;) The HT reminds me of my PX (last of the RAD frames)....I love EASTON rad tubing.

Nice work Kyle...that FS bike is hawt!! One question, why QR and not TA?
I would imagine it's QR because it's more their freeride frame then a downhill frame so maybe they assume people will want easier flat changes. Plus that rear end looks BEEF so I don't even know if they would need a thru-axle...thats my take on it