Quantcast

Pawls

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Does anyone know how many pawls the old 2002 Yellow Dee Max rear hub is? Mine seems slow to engage and I am thinking of upgrading. Is there a way to make them engage quicker? I can get a good 1/4 turn in till it engages.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Hadley has a new trials hub with 108 engagement points (which is the most of any hub currently available), but I'm not sure how many pawls that equates to. Hadley, Chris King, Hope, DT Swiss, and Ringle hubs all have 4 or more pawls, which makes them all very fast-engaging hubs. Personally, I'm a Ringle fan.

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
The Hadley's pawls are offset, so only one engages at a time. I'd be sitting back and seeing how they go on trials bikes for a couple of years before I thought about buying one.

Ifelloffabike

Monkey
Apr 14, 2003
Strong Island Ny
king hubs dont have pawls
hadley only have 3 pawls and on the trials hub they are offset so you only have one pawl engaging at a time.

pawls arnt what determines how fast the hub is because on most hubs they enagage at the same time. Its the teeth that determine it. Hadley has 36 so do hope, ringle, and profile. Dtswiss has only slightly more then shimano

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
So I read that CK hubs have 72 teeth. Are they about the fastest out there? Are there any disadvantages to fast engaging hubs?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
dexterq20 said:
Hadley has a new trials hub with 108 engagement points (which is the most of any hub currently available), but I'm not sure how many pawls that equates to. Hadley, Chris King, Hope, DT Swiss, and Ringle hubs all have 4 or more pawls, which makes them all very fast-engaging hubs. Personally, I'm a Ringle fan.

Your kidding man, that is amazing talk about responsive, my old ringle's had 3 and i thought they did pretty well...are you guys sure about mavic only having 2 how can they feel so good then? I have never felt like they were slow to engage at all :confused:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
dw said:
Stealth hubs have no pawls and are instant engaging!

dw
...and are also impossible to obtain anymore! :D

Manufacturing for the Stealth hubs seems to have gone up in smoke... Wish they'd start making 'em again, I'm pretty interested in checking one out.

Kanter, CK and the new Hadley hubs are the fastest engaging hubs around. The CK has a very strong engagement mechanism because all of the teeth engage themselves simultaneously vs. having one, two, or three pawls grabbing the teeth. The Hadley has more engagement points, though.

Both hubs are pretty noisy.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
No pawls on the RB Design Hubs either - they came out in the late 90s. Tried them many years ago. Work great until water gets past the seals and the clutch slips. Probably have that fixed by now:

They call their clutch "ROLLIN´ROLL" (see flash animation of pedaling and idling)

ROLLIN´ROLL rollers fit into the proper concave flute of the waveguide perfectly. The shape of the flutes has been designed with the aim to enable:
Exact meshing of the needle rollers with the remaining parts of the clutch.
The needle rollers to fit into the proper spot simultaneously and at once, so that the actual stress of engagement is divided equally between them.
The needle rollers to fit in the purposefully shaped concave flutes of the waveguide optimally in order to split the actual stress over the possibly biggest area.
To achieve an extremely short idle course of the clutch.
They also have a special cassette body called "WAVELOC"

The WAVELOC was developed to prevent pressing of guide's cassette to freewheel what complicated assembling and disassembling of the cassette. That happened mainly on freewheel made of aluminum alloy or steel.
WAVELOC, and a material we used prevents this undesirable effect. There ist almost no deformation only a slight dent at the edge of the cassette. But it has no effect on function or disassembling of the cassette

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
i have read mixed things about the stealth hub on trials websites. not sure what variety of makers there is and if they build them any different.

according to unrealcycles.com, the new hadley engages in 3 degrees. not sure how many prawls there are and how many engage at one time, but 3 degrees is fast.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
The freewheel on that hub is very similar to many industrial type roller-sprag clutches.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Incubus said:
I heard the same thing about the Stealth units. Reported, they weren't holding up.
Ding, ding, we have a winner! Reliability has been an issue, hopefully they'll work it out soon.

Lots of people have blown them up and when they go, you have a fixed gear. Hope you can time your pedal strokes well :stosh: I'd think thats much worse than the typical forward freewheel scenario

hurley64

Chimp
Sep 4, 2003
Very similar to sprag clutches, cept missing a few cams. This design can be very strong and reliable, in fact it is used on most modern helicoptors to couple/decouple the engines to the rotor system.

John

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Which is faster to engage?

CK vs. Hadley

and

2002 Dee Max vs. XT

The CK seems quicker than the Hadley and the XT feels quicker than the Dee Max. Does this sound right? I dont understand how XT can be 3 pawl and the Dee Max can be 2.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Kanter said:

CK vs. Hadley

and

2002 Dee Max vs. XT

The CK seems quicker than the Hadley and the XT feels quicker than the Dee Max. Does this sound right? I dont understand how XT can be 3 pawl and the Dee Max can be 2.
depens, CK has 72 points, and Hadley has 36 or 108 (somebody said that all their hubs are 108 now?).

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
Kanter said:

CK vs. Hadley

and

2002 Dee Max vs. XT

Dee Max, X-max, Ksyrium's all use the same FTS freehub design.

Two larger Prawl's and only one engages at a time. I've ran one for 4 yrs and over 2000miles on a SS bike before I had to replace the hub. Not because I was having issues with the prawls but because the bearing on the end of the hub that supports the freehub body ripped off. Its a pretty reliable system, but I'd rather run a CK... and do now.