Quantcast

Part of disc bolt stuck in disc hub - how do I get it out?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
So I picked up a wheelset in exchange for a pair of flats and a bottom bracket last week.

This is a Mavic 219 - nice rims! - laced to Deore Disc hubs wheelset. The front wheel is fine and I'm using it. The rear was thrown in because it has some missing spokes and one of the disc brake bolts snapped off or something and a portion of the bolt is still inside the threads on the rear hub> How can I get it out?

Get a really small bit and drill it out or something? I wouldn't want to ruin the threads in the process though so that has me worried a bit.

The hub seems fine other than that and besides missing those spokes so does the rim.

I'd love to be able to salvage the hub or the entire wheel if at all possible.

I welcome your suggestions and or help in getting this stuck bolt out!

Thanks!
Mark

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
You can try a couple things.

If you can get to the bolt and slot it with a Dremel, you can then take a flathead screwdriver to it (carefully and with a good amount of force).
Otherwise, you can try to drill a little hole in the center and use an easy-out (bolt remover). It's hard with such a small bolt.

If it was my wheel and the broken bolt was not getting in the way, I'd ignore it and run 5 rotor bolts. DH racers looking to save weight often run just 3 rotor bolts (not that I'm recommending it, but it could be done).

If you're going to trash the rim and re-build the wheel, you could probably get a machine shop to drill it out for you, but at that point you'd be better off buying a new hub.

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
if yuo got a drill press, it'd make it easier..hell, a dewalt drill and a small bit would be fine..just try to do your best to keep it dead center.then tap the outside of the hub gently w/ a rubbre malley, your good to ride.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I would just use 5 rotor bolts. But if you really want to get it out, I'd go for an easy out.