Quantcast

Paging all San Francisco Monkeys-->trails and bike rental

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Hey guys and gals,

I'm going to be in S-F for a stay of about 7 days from April 8th to 15th.

I will have a couple days to go explore the surroundings and would dearly like to go for a ride somewhere.

So... Any good XC trails around (I'm going to have a rental car) ++ anybody can point me out to a good bike shop where they have descent rentals?

Thanks a lot!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I'm not from there but have had the opportunity to ride Mt. Tam and China Camp (both are technically in Mill Valley I think, but they're really close to San Francisco) and had fun at both locations.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Passion Trail Bikes in Belmont has a large fleet of high end demos (mostly Specialized), and I know they charge $75 a day.

Monkey
is that Che in your avatar?

ironic since you are heading to SF

http://www.washblade.com/2005/11-25/view/columns/che-cult.cfm
(it was the first link when I searched for "Che gays")
Hey guys and gals,

I'm going to be in S-F for a stay of about 7 days from April 8th to 15th.

I will have a couple days to go explore the surroundings and would dearly like to go for a ride somewhere.

So... Any good XC trails around (I'm going to have a rental car) ++ anybody can point me out to a good bike shop where they have descent rentals?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Passion Trail is a good call for a rental, good peeps and quality rides. If you plan to ride a lot you might ask for some kind of multi-day deal. You can also pick up a map or two there, and pick brains for trail knowledge. I don't know any shops in SF proper that are on par in terms of rentals.

While you're down that way you should consider checking out the trails at Skegg's Point/El Corte Madera, or perhaps Pacifica.

Back up North, definitely try to hit the Tamarancho Boy Scout Camp at some point, out of Fairfax. Pretty much the best legal singletrack around IMO. China Camp is good too.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
While I don't remember the name of the shop, about 2 years ago I rented a Giant Reign demo from a shop near Rock Ridge (in the Berkeley area) for about $20 for a day or two. It was really cheap. You'd have to do a big of digging to find the place, but it's near the Rock Ridge BART station for sure. I rode down Mt. Tam on that thing, it was a fun ride.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Thanks for the tips. 20$ would look really good for a day rental! Will try to locate that shop if possible.