Quantcast

Pacific Northwest/Whistler Wet Condition Tires?

Bullit21

Monkey
May 14, 2003
Socal
Guys,

I am making a trip starting in mid September to Seatlle/Whistler/North Shore and I am looking for suggestions for a wet conditions dh tire. I am used to only riding dry stuff here in Socal so I have never looked into these types of tires.

I would prefer tubeless options, but will look into regular tire options if necessary.

Thanks.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
Nevey's rule up here for wet conditions. A lot of peeps like Minions and HR's too. Sept shouldn't be that wet, but regardless the Sticky Nevegal is a great all conditions tire up here. Be careful if you try to to tubless w/ them though...

Jenson is selling the 2.5's for 20 bones FWIW.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
i love the c16 front, but prefer running a cut c24 in the back. the 16's disappear quickly at whistler, and the tall side knobs are a bit squidgier on the fast hardpack trails. i like running the 2.2's front & rear as well (personal thing; it's not too rocky up here). as mentioned, it may well be nice & dry mid-sept. great time of year to ride; cooler temps, no crowds.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I would not worry about a true wet/mud conditions tire at that time. you will most likely see some rain here and there, but that late, it will most likely just knock down the dust.

For softer spring conditions (not full on mud) I like mich 16 2.5" in front (as said before the very tall side lug squirm a bit on anything they cannot sink into), and a cut mich 24 is a great tire on the hard pack, wet or dry.

Highrollers, or minion, or nevegals in soft compounds all seem to work well up here outside of 'mud'. The supertacky maxxis tires seem short lived imo, conpared to the mich or kendas. I have set of 3C's and I hope they will last longer.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I am also going to be out there September 8th-17th. I am going to go up there with my high rollers and my new set of kenda blue grooves.

Hope that works out.

Spokompton

Monkey
May 15, 2005
Spokane WA
It doesn't really matter what you ride with up here in September.

Although super sticke tires are overkill for then, unless it's raining while you ride.

Actually a good skinny tire like a 2.35 is best for the loose dusty stuff, as it tends to dig in a bit better, where as a 2.5 or 2.7 washes out a bit.

Stickler

Chimp
Feb 12, 2005
Bellingham, WA
Minion 2.5 DHF ST -- Front and Rear. I've tried the HighRoller in the rear, but don't like it quite as much. It won't be that muddy in September.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Nevey's rule up here for wet conditions. A lot of peeps like Minions and HR's too. Sept shouldn't be that wet, but regardless the Sticky Nevegal is a great all conditions tire up here. Be careful if you try to to tubless w/ them though...

Jenson is selling the 2.5's for 20 bones FWIW.
I would go with that. I had a set and loved them, I tend to run highroller ST in the back and minion st in the front for the rainy season. I like that setup because I find the tires cheap and its works well fairly often

Sam B

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Cascadia
Yeah... it won't be wet in September. Not yet...

For Whistler a lot of folks put on something old and roached out. That place eats tires.

Minion DHF front and rear is all I have run since they came out. That's year round too. I have super tackys but the 60 rear is a good idea for wear. Various widths overtime, but 2.5 F&R right now.

If you run the Nevegal, cut every other intermediate knob out. It opens them up and gets more bite in the loose/loam/mud.

InsideMan

Monkey
Jun 1, 2006
On an Island
just put on a new setup, front tire 2.7 Minion DHF ST and rear 2.5 DHF ST. Havent rode it yet but will try this weekend. Anyone else run this same setup?