Quantcast

Out west

Supa8

Monkey
May 3, 2002
Middle of MA
Taking a trip for riding DH for half a week in Deer Valley Utah a week from today. All the rain, roots and moss covered rocks we have in New England has me wondering how different DH run conditions are out west.

We have never ridden outside New England other than Snowshoe WV, Bromont, etc east coast mountains so not sure what to expect except higher speeds, sharper rocks and great views I guess. It will be good to broaden the horizon on new terrain.

Any 411 on what to expect compared to back east would be great.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I've never ridden out east so I'm not sure how much of a differance it will be but I can say that you'll nearly need a dust mask. If you are going as a group you'll need to keep considerable distance between yourself and the leading rider or you won't be able to see the trail. There's plenty of sharp rocks and plenty of not sharp rocks, it's early enough that you'll have some tacky muddy springs and snow melt runoff in Utah. Other than that a bike is a bike and a mountain is a mountain. If you get a chance to ride something besides the resort I suggest the ridge trail 157 in american fork canyon. I think you can find trail directions on utahmountainbiking.com. It's a fun shuttle with about 3 miles of downhill, the blackhawk trail out of payson canyon is pretty fun too, it's a little longer with some good climbs in the middle, the last downhill section is pretty pounding for utah singletrack, directions can be found on utahmountainbiking.com as well.

Supa8

Monkey
May 3, 2002
Middle of MA
I figured there would be some dust kicking up out there. Very rare to have dry trails up here. Thanks for the heads up on the WWW for riding in Utah. Trying to make the most out of it while we are there.