Quantcast

Our New Zumbi DH Team Frame

MaxDamageDA

Monkey
Jan 20, 2006
Poland
Hi!

I want to proudly present our new DH Team frame handbuilt in Poland - ZUMBI DH TEAM

Downhill racing frame made from 7020 alloy. Uses a 150mm wide hub with a 12mm axle. Replacable derailleur hanger. The swingarm is built from 6 separate rectangular profiles welded together. It uses two huge 40mm high quality sealed bearings and a 20mm pivot axle made of high grade steel. Very low center of gravity providing superior traction. Two shock mountings changing the suspension characteristic. The suspension is extremely sensitive. First the wheel moves backwards and later, towards the front. The suspension path helps suck up those square edged bumps which slow you down. The stiffness of the frame can only be compared with MX constructions. The head tube has two gussets and a “wrap around” reinforcement making sure its always in one piece. Big thanks to the guys at Avalanche Downhill Racing for good advice. Weighs in at 4500g with Avalanche Chubbie.

Every frame is custom welded to meet the needs of each customer so you can choose the geometry!

Available colors are team green, team grey and black with polished swingarms

Every frame is warranted for 18 months and allows RACING!

Prices:

Frame w/o shock is 1199$
Frame with avalanche montie - 1499$
Frame with avalanche chubie - 1649$
Frame with avalanche dhs - 1749$

Shipping to Us is 80$ via express airmail service.

Attachments

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
Not to rain on your parade, but that doesn't have a significantly rearwards axle path. That pivot is about as low as you could put it without having it BB-centric.

MaxDamageDA

Monkey
Jan 20, 2006
Poland
The wheel path goes back! The frame is fast, weve tested that, dont worry. And we dont like high pivots cause most of them have higher center of mass and the chain is slapping on them often. Its also linting it.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
The pivots a bit higher than the rear axle so when you sit on it the axle would go back,after that not.Would track backwards on small hits when Ridding I guess?
Otherwise the fabrication looks good,not my cup of tea but it would have a low C.O.G.. Good to see.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
MaxDamageDA said:
The wheel path goes back! The frame is fast, weve tested that, dont worry. And we dont like high pivots cause most of them have higher center of mass and the chain is slapping on them often. Its also linting it.
Yeah it goes back VERY slightly like most bikes (even a lot of FSR bikes), but realistically it's very close to vertical for most of its travel.

I'm not saying the frame is bad or anything, just that one statement is incorrect.

preppie

Monkey
Aug 30, 2002
Europe
There are more than a few DH race bikes with a slightly rearward axle path.
Some like it others don't.

It's nice, especially the price :thumb:

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
um, why does your front triangle look exactly like a Karpiel?
(yes i know his is single pivot, but the rest of the front end looks like it)

RaID

Turbo Monkey
Rama wyglada niezle i dobrze ze takiej jakosci ramy sa dostepne w Polsce jeszcze za taka cene i z Avy amortyzatorem.
Powodzenia ze sprzedarza ram :)

Frame looks sturdy, but like said above not much rear axle path in it. Looks like it will rail corners nicely though.

MaxDamageDA

Monkey
Jan 20, 2006
Poland
:)

The front triangle is disco style but its much different. Other angles, thiner tubes, and different geometry.

Theres a plenty of frames with such style cause its strong and light! Thats why.

MaxDamageDA

Monkey
Jan 20, 2006
Poland
Thanks for the comments , simplicity is sometimes a great thing.

We're distributing our frames worldwide so we dont have any locals yet, but im thinking about it. Maybe someone wants to sell our frames there ? The thing is that its hard to have custom frames in stock... How can i weld the custom frame for any rider if i dont know his preferences.

The travel is 220mm

sn0wboarder

Monkey
Mar 16, 2003
NJ
Cool frame.

I wish I took the time when I was younger to learn how to read and write in Polish. All I can do is speak it.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
it looks ok but having had a lot of close contact with both the chumba f4 and the disco volante, i can say that those arent similarities, several structural solutions are identical, not that theres anything necessarily wrong with that (legally speaking) but to me its a copy.

btw is jan involved? he is polish isnt he?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
vitox said:
btw is jan involved? he is polish isnt he?
Yes....he required a large consultation fee for intitial design work which he said would be immediately reimbursed upon product release.........and as soon as the front triangles are back from heat treating.....and powder coating.......and alignment..........and waxing.......and he buys dinner.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
looking at it a bit more i can only see that the gussets have been lengthened a lot, good call, also that the tubing doesnt look to be so extensively ovalized as the reno built disco, the upper gusset isnt welded at the back, good call because ive seen it crack there, the machining on the shock mount plates is different aesteticaly speaking but extremely similar to the original, head tube has been milled externally, very good choice, to prevent flaring (one of the biggger problem on the disco) although i would have gone with onepointfive, the rear end and the bb machined part look a bit crude and really the rear end is like you welding that huge shock mount to an f4 swingarm.
all in all that looks like someone with a VERY detailed insight to the whole disco volante fabrication had mated a poland made (different suppliers and all) disco volante to a simpler rear end.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
zedro said:
i'm sorry to say but thats one of the more rediculous things i've heard here. I mean that in the nicest way tho :love:
I don't know man........I've been around a LOT of karpiels and while I agree that other frames use the same tube cross design (titus), there are some things that are definitely karpiel on that. The gussets, the shape of a few plates used......

So what you've just witnessed is me waving my hand to your question of "who else wants to look stoopid?" Just so there's no confusion.

RaID

Turbo Monkey
sn0wboarder said:
Cool frame.

I wish I took the time when I was younger to learn how to read and write in Polish. All I can do is speak it.
Well at least you can do that, some ppl who really should know both, struggle to even link up a few words.

Its not too late to learn though, it comes in handy :)

MaxDamageDA

Monkey
Jan 20, 2006
Poland
THats not a direct copy. Disco was only the inspiration but the angles of orginal disco are tottaly different. I got a complete bike on older disco and also 2002 one , both with avy's in my home and i know how they look.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
MaxDamageDA said:
THats not a direct copy. Disco was only the inspiration but the angles of orginal disco are tottaly different. I got a complete bike on older disco and also 2002 one , both with avy's in my home and i know how they look.

it is a copy to an extent, its obvious from looking at it, of course there are nuances to such things, you might say its the inspiration, it doesnt matter, im not meaning anything negative here, its just that the structural design is almost identical, yes the angles and the tubing might be different (7020 isnt used much in the states anyway). anyhow, i think its a sound design, no matter the origin.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
vitox said:
it is a copy...
i'm thinking it's a language thing cus that word really doesnt apply. As a designer, theres always a little bit of everything since nothing is born from a vacuum, and when you start with a blank sheet things never are copies. It's actually quite an insult and drives designers crazy when they get that aimless accusation. I know you don't mean harm but...

I always wonder why no one gets accused of ripping-off the triangle design...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
zedro said:

Yeah but that's the most basic structurally-dictated standard.

It's like tim horton's getting sued by moses for ripping off the bagel layout when both guys realized their dough poofs just weren't getting cooked in the middle and had to be removed. It's just the most structrually sound conclusion from any point of departure.

offtheedge

Monkey
Aug 26, 2005
LB
zedro said:
i'm thinking it's a language thing cus that word really doesnt apply. As a designer, theres always a little bit of everything since nothing is born from a vacuum, and when you start with a blank sheet things never are copies. It's actually quite an insult and drives designers crazy when they get that aimless accusation. I know you don't mean harm but...

No doubt! Using aloy tubes is so over done. Now bamboo... there is a real free thinker.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
kidwoo said:
It's like tim horton's getting sued by moses for ripping off the bagel layout when both guys realized their dough poofs just weren't getting cooked in the middle and had to be removed. It's just the most structrually sound conclusion from any point of departure.
i coulda gone for a whole lifetime never knowing why donuts had a hole in the middle. Well except to make Timbits.

Anyways, that frame is "structurally obvious" to me, and i don't lend that layout to Karpiel which is why i don't buy the copy argument. There are similar layouts out there (especially in the lower-mid end) who have probably never seen a Karpiel. Hell Cannondale never got accused...or GT, or Raleight, or Norco, or....