Quantcast

Organics

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I ran into a new line of foods at Safeway called Organics. I bought some blueberry juice and some "fruit loops" and my intitial reaction is: Damn yummy!

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Yeah, that's a bit of a drive, but you might also try Whole Foods, Fresh Fields or Harris Teeter. I don't know if those exist in AZ. I see the stuff coming at Safeway as well, and it looks like they're starting to really push it. Sounds good to me.

On a side note relating to cereal, I totally forgot I had bought some Lucky Charms last night on sale. Damn, those would have been good this morning.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
It's encouraging, but the fact that something is labled "organic" is not the end of the story. Out here (one of the places where the whole organic thing started), local farmers are starting to call BS. Thanks to the Bush Administration the standards for calling something "organic" are changing in ways that favor big business. It's no coincidence that "organic" products are starting to show up in the bigger stores now.

Here's just one article: http://www.grist.org/news/muck/2004/05/18/griscom-organic/

"This new directive makes a mockery of organic standards," said Richard Wood, a recent member of the FDA's Veterinary Medicine Advisory Committee and executive director of Food Animal Concerns Trust. "Organic farmers that we have talked to are furious because they have been very careful to follow the antibiotics rule. [The rule change] undercuts their ability to make a living doing things right."

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Ya, Safeway's Organic line kicks ass. It is also super cheap.

Try their pasta sauces, they rock. There is a Safeway a few blocks from my apartment, seeing this stuff makes me happy.

The Ito

lonewolfe

Monkey
Nov 14, 2002
Bay Area
You know, I've been very impressed with most every Safeway brand product that I have tried and their new Organics line of products have all be excellent too! I think it's pretty cool for them to have an Organic line of products.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
peter6061 said:
Yeah, that's a bit of a drive, but you might also try Whole Foods, Fresh Fields or Harris Teeter..

I have attempted to do my grocery shopping at fresh market, whole foods and wild oats and my grocery bill is almost double that at my normal grocery store. While i would love to do all of my shopping at the fancy grocery stores, i can't afford it. and you can not convince me that there is enough difference in green onions for them to be a dollar more a bunch at organic groceries. (sorry, i have an over priced produce rant that i will save for a later day. Everyone should be able to eat well.)

allieb

Chimp
Jul 1, 2002
NoVa
You could also try looking for CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) farms in your area. These are generally smaller, family run farms where you can buy subscriptions to their harvest for a summer. You normally have to commit to a full growing season becuase they base what they plant on the number of subscriptions they have. Here's a link to some info: http://www.nal.usda.gov/afsic/csa/

The other benefits are that your produce is locally grown, in season, and didn't travel across half the country to get to you.

The one I looked at in my area ended up being about $16/week for a small share (enough to feed 1-2 people).

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
allieb said:
You could also try looking for CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) farms in your area.
I had never heard of CSAs before some friends unloaded a BUNCH of produce on us.

There aren't any in my immediate area, but if there were, I would be a veggie stuffed fool.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
MudGrrl said:
I had never heard of CSAs before some friends unloaded a BUNCH of produce on us.

There aren't any in my immediate area, but if there were, I would be a veggie stuffed fool.

i had a friend do an info poster on them last year. I don't think there are any near here, but they sound bad ass. we have a large farmers market in the summer that i will be hitting up for sure.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
stinkyboy said:
I've been buying a lot of the Organics line and I'm here to report:

The pasta sauces are pretty good.

The juices are great. Although I've been drinking a lot of True Blue blueberry/pomegranate/grape juice. Yum!

The above pictures cookies are HORRIBLE.

The yogurts are very runny.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I am getting further through the "Omnivore's Dilemma" (see my thread here in Beer and Food) and am now reading a chapter about "industrial organic" food. All I can say is everyone should read it.

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
OGRipper said:
I am getting further through the "Omnivore's Dilemma" (see my thread here in Beer and Food) and am now reading a chapter about "industrial organic" food. All I can say is everyone should read it.
Oh, I think you can say a lot more than just that...

"Organic" as a descriptive term will soon mean virtually nothing, the way things are going.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Nobody said:
Oh, I think you can say a lot more than just that...

"Organic" as a descriptive term will soon mean virtually nothing, the way things are going.
In the US yes but not evey country is letting the standards get bought out like that. ;)