Quantcast

one tire for two very different conditions?

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I know - "Not another tire question" :rolleyes:

I was curious if anyone had thought on one tire that would suit two different types of terrain. I have a BB7. I live in Los Angeles and ride Big Bear and other trails that have lots of ruts, dust, and rocks. I am going to Whistler for a week and past experience has shown that it is much more groomed, packed, and moist than I am used to, with fewer loose rocks, and more rock faces. I have not been since Garbanzo opened, so I don't know what that will be like.

Is there a tire that will work well in both sets of conditions? Should I just get one that is great in the dusty/loose/rocky conditions and not worry about "what could be" in Whistler?

Help!!!

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
i love my kujo dh 2.6 on the front of my dhsled. i ride everything from stunts to dh courses to loamy moist black dirt to dry red clay conditions. in the back i run a slightly smaller maxxis mobster. the kujo dh just leads the bike along very confidently in every situation i have encountered

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
i have alway had good luck with kenda kenetics(eveything except the mud) that hook up just about anywhere for me

other than that the mich. 24comp(better for the wet though)

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
Minion front rules in any condition IMO, along with either a High Roller or Minion rear. The Minion has a little more bite in soft dirt, but the High Roller rolls faster. Keep in mind that Maxxis tires run small, if you choose either of those.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Michelin comp 32 up front. Holds on anywhere.

Comp 16 2.2 works well for a rear at big bear (though I prefer the comp 24; however, it clogs up with mud) and is supposed to be incredible for moist conditions.

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
Espen said:
Minion 2.5 rear, Swampthing 2.5 front.
I have never ridden a Swamp Thing, but it looks like it might be kinda squirmy on the rock faces at Whistler. However, that should be more than balanced by its performance in loose conditions.