Quantcast

Ok, who wants to help me with a first time wheel build?

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I have a few questions. 650b.

I'm on a budget due to unforeseen circumstances.

So, upon some research it appears I can convert my current hope Pro 2 Evo hubs from 150 to 157 rear spacing by ordering 12x142 spacers for them. Easy enough, so far. http://www.jensonusa.com/!sW6DDOk1uvCI!YbIGhkTVA!/Hope-Pro-2-Evo-Rear-Hub-Conversion-Caps?utm_source=FRGL&utm_medium=organic&gclid=Cj0KEQiAuf2lBRDW07y3z6f96awBEiQA0IngJjWDQwVjwHLPHWLNggZf19lNpAnEhdog02UwfGrwpMYaAqyl8P8HAQ

Those ones right?

Next, wheels. I wanted to go carbon, but that is not likely to happen. Looking into the DT Swiss FR 570's unless someone has a better suggestion.

How do I calculate spoke length? I tried a few spoke calculators, but they didn't have the hubs I have in the drop downs.....

Next. Brass or alloy nipples? Seems alloy is better cause it cost more?

Sorry for all the newb questions, but I've never built a wheelset before.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Hope Pro 2 Evo
Front Hub.
Flange pitch circle diameter - 56mm Left, 54mm Right
Flange spacing distance - 20mm Left, 33mm Right
Spoke hole dia - 2.60 mm
173g weight

Rear Hub
Flange spacing distance - 33mm Left, 20mm Right
Spoke hole dia - 2.60 mm
323g weight

Alloy nipples - light, and come in lotsa different flavours...
Brass - heavier, stronger, basic silver or black.
Brass tend to be a bit easier to turn later for touch ups, alloy can seize a bit easier.
Alloy will round quickly if your spoke wrench or technique is poor.
Be careful, for example DT nipples are available in 12 and 14 mm length commonly, so the nipple length will effect your spoke length calcs.
I have both and prefer the weight hit of brass.

have fun.

michael

ps - if you have not, check out Roger Mussons book (availabe online) - covers pretty much everything you want to know - nicely written with easy step by step instructions, including instructions on building your own truing stand, dishing template etc etc

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Brass nipples! Pretty sure they can be had in black if you don't like the silver.
Just take your time, and count the number of revolutions as you first install each nipple so you have an even starting point to dish, tension and true them.
I've found that if you can nail it on the initial-even tension, very little truing is needed. Some rims are better at this than others, which is why you hear some refer to "how nicely" a certain combination of parts built up.

Last tip- when lacing, double check that the spokes lay on each other properly where they cross... Easiest is to look at another wheel with the pattern you want.

This was my "first wheel build ever" mistake when I was about 13, and I took it down to the ancient Schwinn guy, where he declared my lacing to be "jackass backwards from Schwinn". So don't lace your wheels jackass backwards from Schwinn, jackass!

Last edited:

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
...and have fun! It's really gratifying to do it yourself and then huck the gnar on your creation

...and have fun! It's really gratifying to do it yourself and then huck the gnar on your creation
i just watched someone i trusted build up a wheel for me once upon a time. i'd already known how to true a wheel and make sure it didn't get out of round for ages, so the rest was all just common sense from there.
it's surely a nice feeling knowing you put every part of your bike together yourself for sure. plus then you always know shit's gonna work and work right...

Verskis

Monkey
May 14, 2010
Tampere, Finland
Rear Hub
Flange spacing distance - 33mm Left, 20mm Right
Spoke hole dia - 2.60 mm
323g weight
Those are the specs for the 135mm/142mm hub, the 150mm dimensions are otherwise the same but the flange spacing distance is the same on both sides - 26.5 mm left, 26.5 mm right.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I used sheldon brown's guide
The spoke calculator from prowheelbuilder.com
A park tool spoke wrench (black flavor)
Double butted sapim spokes and brass sapim nipples, from PWB

Anti-seize on the threads, makes it easier to re-true down the road for newbies like me

gorilla tape is heavier but allows for tubeless later, should I want it.

I used my ear for tension. There are guides available to know the tone based on spoke length.

Go slow, read carefully, be methodical. Enjoy some mellow tunes and brews while you work. It was very zen for me. I built two 29er (ZOMG fcking gay) wheels and my wheel builder friend approved of their trueness, though he said I could go up a bit for tension. they've held true for a while now.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I used sheldon brown's guide
The spoke calculator from prowheelbuilder.com
A park tool spoke wrench (black flavor)
Double butted sapim spokes and brass sapim nipples, from PWB

Anti-seize on the threads, makes it easier to re-true down the road for newbies like me

gorilla tape is heavier but allows for tubeless later, should I want it.

I used my ear for tension. There are guides available to know the tone based on spoke length.

Go slow, read carefully, be methodical. Enjoy some mellow tunes and brews while you work. It was very zen for me. I built two 29er (ZOMG fcking gay) wheels and my wheel builder friend approved of their trueness, though he said I could go up a bit for tension. they've held true for a while now.

:rofl: sounds like roadie voodoo magic.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Hope Pro 2 Evo

Be careful, for example DT nipples are available in 12 and 14 mm length commonly, so the nipple length will effect your spoke length calcs.
c
Thanks for the info on the hub dimensions, mine are still in my wheels so measuring would be tricky.

As for the 12 vs 14mm nipple sizing, is there an advantage or disadvantage to either?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
14mm are heavier, but allow you to use shorter spokes if you've fucked up (or are switching rims and don't want to buy new spokes). I've used them in the past with different rims and stuff when I was trying to save money. They're just a little bit longer.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I found it was more useful to just try and make sure all the spokes had the same tone, and try to get them to sound similar to the tone recommended if possible. I had a hard time getting even tension AND trueness, but I built some weird wheels.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I found it was more useful to just try and make sure all the spokes had the same tone, and try to get them to sound similar to the tone recommended if possible. I had a hard time getting even tension AND trueness, but I built some weird wheels.
honestly i've never heard of that method. i guess i've just built enough wheels over the years i can go by feel.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
He knows his magic though, I approve.
My additional 2c: this is the best spoke wrench there is:

Anti-seize compound works great, prevents spokes from getting wound up, but is messy. Easy to clean afterwards though.
Gorilla tape is a double-edged sword. Works, but leaves tons of monstrous residue when you want to remove it. I have tried a few tapes for tubeless (that are less expensive than Stan's ripoff tape) and Kapton tape is the best IMHO: https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1LENP_enUS517US517&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#tbm=shop&q=kapton+tape

I also tension by ear. After I finish lacing, I keep tensioning them until they are no longer floppy, then I do rough dish, then keep tensioning, keeping the dish in check. If you start with a good true rim, going by the sound of the spokes will get you a pretty true wheel with even tension.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
There are a ton of good resources out there. Careful with some of the info on here - first reply and you already have bad info.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I highly recommend sticking with brass nipples as others have already suggested. I have had alloy ones crack over time, apart from being not as resilient if you plan to keep the wheels for a while and put them through a few true/tension cycles.

I just use blue loctite on the spoke threads, it's worked fine for me for the last 10 years. DT prolock nipples achieve the same thing if you want to spend the extra (you can get brass prolock). The park 4-sided spoke key is slightly harder to work with but makes it safer to turn stubborn nipples, I like it but it's not for everyone.

Sheldon Brown's article is all you really need when it comes to the actual build, I have found his tip about "tightening and backing off 1/8 - 1/4 of a turn" (or something that that) useful for building wheels that stay tight (it relieves the twist in the spoke), along with the loctite.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
14mm are heavier, but allow you to use shorter spokes if you've fucked up (or are switching rims and don't want to buy new spokes). I've used them in the past with different rims and stuff when I was trying to save money. They're just a little bit longer.
Approximately 2mm? :D

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Sheldon Brown's article is all you really need when it comes to the actual build, I have found his tip about "tightening and backing off 1/8 - 1/4 of a turn" (or something that that) useful for building wheels that stay tight (it relieves the twist in the spoke), along with the loctite.
i can confirm this. it will make your first post ride truing much easier.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Approximately 2mm? :D

You asked, whiz kid.

My only reservation with loctite is that if you're a newb builder, it's harder to un-fuck your wheels if you've done a bad job. All of those sealants (prolock, loctite, spoke prep, linseed oil) make the spokes harder to turn once it's fixed up. for a first time builder, i don't know if that's a good thing

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
You asked, whiz kid.

My only reservation with loctite is that if you're a newb builder, it's harder to un-fuck your wheels if you've done a bad job. All of those sealants (prolock, loctite, spoke prep, linseed oil) make the spokes harder to turn once it's fixed up. for a first time builder, i don't know if that's a good thing

this has not been my experience with linseed oil.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
you'll need some kind of compound on the threads. i personally use linseed oil.
lindseed oil over everything. it is the best stuff,

i know im the minority here, but i like alloy nipples. never had an issue with them cracking, although i have rounded a few due to being an idiot.. now i just make sure ive got a nice and tight spoke wrench. the linseed oil really helps with the alloy to steel interface as well.. ive had a couple of brass nipples start to oxidize on me and make it really tough to get them off, but those were cheap-ys, your results may vary.

as for spoke tension, i just tighten them up to what i feel is adequate. i know the rear will work itself loose and the spokes will strech, and i will have to re-tension. usually the front is okay for me.

it is quite amazing how easy it is (provided, you take your time), and having a truing stand really helps. although you can jimmy rig something up with a frame/fork and a couple of zip ties.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
Wrong hub dimensions = wrong spokes = wasted $$$
ive always double checked on hub info, and then measured my self to confirm. i even use two different spoke calcs to make sure im not getting any bad info.

if an idiot like me can do it. the OP can as well.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Interesting....
I got my numbers from a phone call to Hope a couple years ago when I got the Podium and the 157 rear.
I'm about to do a wheel build using the numbers I have...maybe another phone call to Hope is in order.
(Pro2 Evo / DT Comp / WTB I25)

michael

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
lindseed oil over everything. it is the best stuff,

i know im the minority here, but i like alloy nipples. never had an issue with them cracking, although i have rounded a few due to being an idiot.. now i just make sure ive got a nice and tight spoke wrench. the linseed oil really helps with the alloy to steel interface as well.. ive had a couple of brass nipples start to oxidize on me and make it really tough to get them off, but those were cheap-ys, your results may vary.

as for spoke tension, i just tighten them up to what i feel is adequate. i know the rear will work itself loose and the spokes will strech, and i will have to re-tension. usually the front is okay for me.

it is quite amazing how easy it is (provided, you take your time), and having a truing stand really helps. although you can jimmy rig something up with a frame/fork and a couple of zip ties.
Have you figured out a way to keep linseed oil from becoming a dirt magnet on/around the nipples? I've used it on a few wheels, and it works great, but I always hated the dirt that always accumulated around the area.

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
I use linseed oil too. Goes on as a liquid then turns to a waxy consistency. I use alloy nipples on carbon only, otherwise I prefer brass. I also invested in a tension meter, I'm so glad I did. I run low tension with thin spokes on carbon rims mostly, and at 200lbs it's important that my wheels are evenly tensioned so they don't explode.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
buy Roger Musson's book. it's cheap, his instructions are clear and simple, and he keeps it up to date.
I concur. Built my first wheel, which was a Hadley hub and used 823 that I had laying around just to 'go for it'. Came out great. Built a couple since then, including a full set for my buddy that came out great. The hardest part is making sure your measurements are right and fit the parts. Hub, spokes, nipples. Once you you have everything, the actual build is pretty straightforward. Musson's book is worth the $15 or whatever it is, IMO, but you can also dig around and get the info for free.