Quantcast

Ok, so suddenly i can pull wheelies.... wtf with stem angles?

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Hi all,

Ok i just ditched the 110mm x 5deg stem i had, and put an old 90mmx10deg stem i had in the spare box. Now all of a sudden, i can pull wheelies (for the first time in my life) and i could also pull up without pedalling.

Now there must be some strange gravitational anomaly in my parking lot, or i had an overnight sleeping-wheelie101. Since both are not the case i guess its the shorter stem.

My knees have a distance of 9" from the bars (straight) at the closest point (knee high) and touch the bars when the bars are at a 45-50deg angle.

My options are to get either a 90mm X 5deg (thomson), or 70mm x 0deg (thomson), or a 70mm x 10deg (non thomson).

What do you reckon guys? I know i asked you yesterdays on what "brand" of stems to buy... now i dont care...i just want the correct angle/length... i ll figure out myself about the brand.

The question is... will the 70mm be too short given the measurements i gave earlier on with the 90mm i currently have?

What will be the effect between 0, 5, 10 degress rise on the stem? (riding-wise).

thanks a lot!
Yannis.

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Zaskar Rider said:
What's wrong with the stem you just put on?

its 2bolt (faceplate) and flexes like hell... if it was 4bolt and stiff i would just keep it.

I am a bit in a hurry to decide since my sis inlaw will visit me from the states very soon and i want her to bring me a stem from the US (1/2 price in comparison with Europe). Hence my haste to learn about degrees lengths, cramp-ness and effects. Sorry if i am bugging anyone...

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Hmmmm........so the 90/10 allows you to wheelie super easy right?

I would opt for the 90/5 then - but that is just me. It will still give you a good cockpit for trail riding but the rise should/could help you still get the front end up when you need to and maybe not as drastically as you say you did with the 10 degree rise stem (which may be preferrable since you don't want your front end popping up real easily on climbs).

Just my two cents, but take my two cents with a HUGE grain of salt Yannis.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I'd opt for the 90/5 too. The shorter cockpit is what helped in the wheelie dept. the most. You don't want to make the front end too high IMO

I run a 85/5 which is pretty much the same. Works out as a good trail/freeride compromise.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Zark said:
I'd opt for the 90/5 too. The shorter cockpit is what helped in the wheelie dept. the most. You don't want to make the front end too high IMO

I run a 85/5 which is pretty much the same. Works out as a good trail/freeride compromise.
Zark, if you don't mind me asking - what brand are you running at 85/5 - and is this the stem on your Tracer?

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Zark said:

Mark and Noah, thanks for the tips. My climbing was fine on a short steep climb i just did given the 10deg 90mm.

Is the 70mm x 0 deg such a bad idea? ( i like the 70mm i am weary about the 0 deg ). Less degrees = more pulling required?

By the way, for climbing i got ETA, so basically i drop 3" of my front end just like that. I am mostly concerned with downhill efficiency and uber technical riding.

the 90mm options are 5 and 15degrees respectively.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
MMcG said:
Zark, if you don't mind me asking - what brand are you running at 85/5 - and is this the stem on your Tracer?
Race Face Prodigy stem. Stiff little 2 bolt stem. Heavy though. Yup, its on the Tracer.

As far as the rise goes I like a pretty flat stem and take care of rise with the bars.(2" riser on the trailbike) I don't think there is a correllation that a higher stem means more pulling. Too much rise in a stem unweights the front wheel, IMO not good for handling.

D

Dingus McGee

This is the DH forum...a stem longer than 75mm is very suspect and could lead to snickering behind your back. You may hear "yo, kook". I say get a 50mm w/minimal rise. That is a cool length. Nobody can mess with that. I run a 35mm Atomic, I am sikk and I can manual for days.

And Yannis, all kidding aside, you can wheelie with anything, don't get all scientific about it -the sweetspot exists in all equations.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Rise really depends on how much steer tube you have to play with. (waitaminit... :think: that sounds a little wierd...) However, you also have to realize that a short stem means you've got less effective rise for a given angle.

I like flat stems, myself, and usually run them right on top of the headset. Low front ends are good...maybe not for manualling, specifically, but for general riding and cornering, I like them low. I'd run something between 70 and 90mm (depending on my TT length) with no rise if I were on an Enduro and wanted to ride techy stuff with some climbing thrown in.

Thomson stems are great, but not worth paying full price IMHO. Don't worry too much about it; buy whatever's available and affordable for you.

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
well my tt is 23", i guess i am going to try one of the three
thomson 70x0
diabolus 70x10
thomson 90x5

and then play with different rise bars

Thanks for the advice guys...i appreciate... decision time now

yannis