Quantcast

Ok 'Cross Monkies, ideas on a build

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
So I did my 1st cross race last weekend, and had an absolute blast doing it. I realize it's mid-season, and I probably won't be able to build it before the season ends, but I would like to build one up over the next year or so(finances permitting).

I've pretty much narrowed the frame/fork down to a Salsa Las Cruces. I've heard good things about it, and I work at a shop that deals w/ QBP and can it for pretty cheap. However, I don't know a ton about the componentry. Cranks? I've looked at offerings from Truvativ, FSA, and Ritchey. Feedback? Also what sort of drivetrain should I look at? 105? Ultegra? I would just assume sticking with 9-spd stuff simply for mud issues, etc. I was actually thinking of taking Ultegra 9 shifters/derailleurs off of my road bike once it's replaced.

Also, wheels? What is there to look for? I can't afford Ksyruims or Zipps, but what's decent? Bars, stems, ect., what's good? Lastly, brakes, what do you recommend?

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Just pull all the ultegra stuff of your road bike, buy a 42 t ring, a guard and an ngear jumpstop, and shorty 4's and your all set.

The salsas are pretty nice, but the rear end is 135, you can get around it and shove a 130 in there though.

I would go with a trek XO or Giant TCX over the salsa if your shop deals either. Cheaper and not as ugly, and the TCX has IF planet X geometry

Meat Foot

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
On the asthenosphere
MtnbikeMike said:
Also, wheels? What is there to look for? I can't afford Ksyruims or Zipps, but what's decent? Bars, stems, ect., what's good? Lastly, brakes, what do you recommend?
I researched putting together a cross-bike. It never took, but I had guys telling me that Mavic Open Pros laced to Ultegra or DA were solid. The CPX-33 (I think) was also a good rim to base a hand built wheel on. Check out www.roadbikereview.com, they have a cx forum.

Cheers.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
I'm towards the end of a long process of building a cross check right now. I bought it complete used and I didn't really much of the components so I pretty much started over only using a couple things that came with it, mainly being the frame, fork, and cook bros. cranks. Since I'm primarily going to be using this as a commuter and the occasional xc bike, I'm not really going for the uber-lightweight setup. So far, here's the build:

56 pea green cross check frame
surly cx fork
cook bros 175 cranks
48t mrp outer bash
n-gear jump stop
44t mrp dh ring
xtr ti 8-speed cassette
On-one midge bars
circa 95 XT canti (work sooo good)
105 levers only
ultegra 8-speed bar end rear shifter
michie 700x30 mud/cross
thomson post
wtb rocket v saddle
salsa flip lock
ringle zuzu pedals
un71 bb

Still have to buy/build wheels. I'm eyeballing a set of used dura ace hubs laced to open pro hoops. I've had open pros on past road bikes and they rock. I've got cxp33s on my current road bike that I no longer ride but the hubs are record so they were out of the question for what I'm using the bike for plus my road bike is going on the chopping block in the spring and I don't want to trash its wheels. I'd rather have open pros anyhow. There's a shop I deal with that sells mainly zoot 29ers, fixies, s/s and road bikes. The owner uses open pros on all his personal bikes like his 29er and cx bike. He had good things to say about there performance off-road but like any wheel's longevity, it all boils down to how well they were built, i.e. prestressing and such. Sorry to ramble and I know I wasn't spot on target with your post, just thought you may get some ideas from my build up. Good luck.

mattv2099

Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
Bellingham, WA
I've got two cross bikes. One with my old dura ace 9 and one with new ultegra 10. The new ultegra 10 is amazing. I don't even want to ride my dura ace 9 after using my new cross bike.

If you've already got ultegra 9 then I would suggest that you use that. I will work well. IF you've got the whole ultegra 9 groupo then I'd use everything shifters/ders/cranks.

For brakes. The best is the paul neo retro and you can get them for 53$ from QBP. These are the best bar none.

Wheels. I scored Ksyrium SSC's off Ebay for 350$ and they are tubular. There are lots of great wheelset deals on Ebay if you don't mind going that way.

For tires either go tubuler with Tufo's or Grifo's or go clincher with michelin muds.

Any good road crank will work. I personally would buy a closeout deal on ultegra 9 crank if you can still find one. They were selling uber cheap this summer from the big online parts sellers.

rings. FSA makes all the great rings and they're cheap though qbp. If you go 130 BCD (typical road crank) then you will likely want to go 48/38 with a 12-25 or 12-27.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I like the look of the Salsa frame. Under 3 lbs, Scandium tubeset, carbon fork/AL steerer- seems nice. The MSRP seems a bit high (you could buy a nice Ridley or Empella frame for what they say), but I guess that's not an issue if you work at a shop.

Just take the 9sp of your road ride and use it. That's what I did a few years back and have no complaints. I use 9sp Ultegra and it's fine.

For gearing, you probably want to go with others here have recommended. I have always been a fan of Shimano cranks for any application, but FSA would be next on the list for cross. If you already have a road frame, just use standard cross gearing (I have just my cx for road, cross and light touring so I use a triple on it).

Velonews just ran two rather good articles about wheel/tire and brake choice for cross.
http://www.velonews.com/tech/report/articles/9172.0.html
http://velonews.com/tech/report/articles/9054.0.html
Avids are always a solid choice, particularly if mud is not in the mix. I think that most people make too much of a point of mud clearance between the rim and pad.

For tires, I'd go clincher if that's what you're used to. Who wants to worry about a puncture on tubulars if you're just out on a ride alone? F--- that. Pick tires for your conditions. Michelin Muds are good but they have a fairly slow rolling, wide tread compared to other offerings. If you are in dry conditions, something else might work better.

Wheels- you can't be Ksyriums or some other strong-but-light wheel. I run Open Pros/Ultegra and they are damn strong and damn cheap for the performance. I ran a Mavic CXP rim (can't remember the number; wasn't the 33) before that and it worked well too. You can't go wrong with Open Pros unless weight is a huge issue.

mattv2099

Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
Bellingham, WA
JRogers said:
I

For tires, I'd go clincher if that's what you're used to. Who wants to worry about a puncture on tubulars if you're just out on a ride alone? F--- that. Pick tires for your conditions.

The idea is that you only use the tubular wheelset during a CX race. You would get another wheelset for regular riding. I currently have 2 cross racing wheelsets ( 1 tubular with tufo's, 1 clincher with muds) and another wheelset I use for when I ride/commute with one of my 'cross bikes.

I'm even going to get another tubular wheelset so I have grifo's for the right course. It's optimal to have the right tire for each course. Serious 'crossers have many wheelsets and an extra bike.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
mattv2099 said:
The idea is that you only use the tubular wheelset during a CX race. You would get another wheelset for regular riding. I currently have 2 cross racing wheelsets ( 1 tubular with tufo's, 1 clincher with muds) and another wheelset I use for when I ride/commute with one of my 'cross bikes.

I'm even going to get another tubular wheelset so I have grifo's for the right course. It's optimal to have the right tire for each course. Serious 'crossers have many wheelsets and an extra bike.
Yeah, I know. Just sounded like the original poster didn't want to be buying two wheelsets if he was concerned about not spending too much on a single one.