Quantcast

OK, Armchair Chemists...Gorilla Tape Residue.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
OK, that is not just residue, that is half of the tape. Use a tire lever or one of those scrapers that are sold with bathroom silicon and get the majority off. Then proceed with acetone, petroleum or such to get rid of the rest.
Then, try it now.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
OK, that is not just residue, that is half of the tape. Use a tire lever or one of those scrapers that are sold with bathroom silicon and get the majority off. Then proceed with acetone, petroleum or such to get rid of the rest.
You think I didn’t try that first?
it doesn’t budge. It’s like it is fused on there.
However, at this point, I have spent ten times more time talking about it on the internetz than actually trying to deal with it. (But I am waiting for the methylene chloride to ship, so its gonna be a week)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
However, at this point, I have spent ten times more time talking about it on the internetz than actually trying to deal with it. (But I am waiting for the methylene chloride to ship, so its gonna be a week)
MEK and methylene chloride were 2 items to that my buddy (who runs a carbon business) specifically said NOT to use because they can actually damage the carbon.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Are you sure it is Gorilla tape? Because I have used it before and had no such issues. There was a little residue, but that came right off with isoprop and a tire ever. I had something similar to you happen with a no name duct tape (not on a bike though).

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Are you sure it is Gorilla tape? Because I have used it before and had no such issues. There was a little residue, but that came right off with isoprop and a tire ever. I had something similar to you happen with a no name duct tape (not on a bike though).

Repeated crashing makes it stick moar

velocipedist

Lubrication Sensei
Jul 11, 2006
Rainbow City Alabama
Doh.. Jackson Hole, goat's heads make sense.

YMMV

I obviously run higher pressure and change tires too often as what are these pinch flats you worry about?

Faffing with tubeless during setup (as even your anecdotes have shown) and on the trail fixes always ended up being a tube, has given me no desire to run tubeless ever again.

I was simply thinking that given the choice of structurally comprimising carbon rims or being able to ride, the choice is clear.

But this is Ridemonkey, so I eagerly await the entertainment of your travails.

What is a ‘tube’?
aren‘t they those failure prone things that get destroyed by goat’s heads and pinch flats?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
What's an appropriate solvent to break down the carbon epoxy? Then you could remove the rim from the tape residue, instead of the other way round. Then you'd just have to rebuild the rim, perhaps with some strong tape to hold it together?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Its Official. I am now a Armchair Chemist. I am going to proudly add that to my already impressive list accolades and accomplishments. Take that Syadasti....

Scrub

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2003
NOR CAL, Sac/CoCo County
Have you tried sticking the wheel in a freezer for a day then use ice cubes and scraper to work small sections. Freeze that shit so it gets hard/brittle, then the double you dee forty on a good micro fiber towel to work off the rest. It's gonna take a while to get all that residue off. Don't plan on getting this shit off quickly, there is no quick fix. Your fingers are gonna hate you.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Have you tried sticking the wheel in a freezer for a day then use ice cubes and scraper to work small sections. Freeze that shit so it gets hard/brittle, then the double you dee forty on a good micro fiber towel to work off the rest. It's gonna take a while to get all that residue off. Don't plan on getting this shit off quickly, there is no quick fix. Your fingers are gonna hate you.
I was wondering that too, freeze spray/air duster may do it.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Isn't there a monkey who works at the Large Hadron Collider? I'm sure there's got to be a solution we can utilize there.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
6th Element truly understands the profound nature of my problem.

At this point it is more intellectual curiosity, I am sure i could get it to seal with more tape of some kind. But this is triggering my mild OCD. I want it all gone, and to know whether there is a solvent that would help.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
6th Element truly understands the profound nature of my problem.

At this point it is more intellectual curiosity, I am sure i could get it to seal with more tape of some kind. But this is triggering my mild OCD. I want it all gone, and to know whether there is a solvent that would help.

You really should check out one of those eraser wheels I posted above. Designed to remove adhesive from cars without damaging the paint. You might burn through a few of them and would want to have a shop vac running to prevent eraser detritus from filling up your rims, but I am sure it would work.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Three pages and unless I missed, some basic info missing: What brand rim is that? What sealant do you use? What tires? And is that really gorilla tape or some off-brand stuff? Monkey tape?

I've used gorilla tape on enve and reserve wheels with Stan's and Maxxis tires for years and have never seen residue like that.

Also, I agree with JBP, looks like the tape you are using is too wide. The basic 1" gorilla tape available everywhere is all you need. It shouldn't make it that much harder to get your tire off - with the right technique - but could create sealing/burping problems.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
They are
LB rims
Gorilla Tape
Stan’s
Dissector tire
34mm ID rims

the only additional piece of information is that I didn’t let the rim warm up enough before trying to rip off the gorilla tape, so it ‘separated’ and left an impervious, gooey mess.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I am pretty sure WD40 and (lots of) effort will work too. WD40 is safe on nearly all surfaces. I’d probably go warm rather than cold though, not alot though, like 40 or 50 centigrade. (Hairdryer or gently with a heat gun?) Let the WD40 soak in for a while, you may need to keep applying.

Don’t use anything that can attack the resin in your rims like MEK or maybe even acetone (dunno what resin it is but acetone can certainly melt some plastics).