Quantcast

oh no they be steelin my catalytic converter

mike67

Monkey
Nov 15, 2001
California
I guess it's a very popular theft lately. I got in my truck to go to work, turn the key, and it sounds like a helicopter. They got under there and unbolted it, and off they went. It's a pretty easy job, only four bolts, and they were out of there. BTW the cops told me they are targeting Toyota trucks (easy to get under there). It happened to one of my friends last month too, but they cut hers out and ruined the whole exhust system. The cops told me that they picked up a guy about a week ago with 70 of them. Of course they are valuable for passing smog tests, but they also have some kind of recycle value.

Just a heads up!

dirtydirtysouf

Deletated
May 23, 2006
the ghetto of winston-salem, nc
I guess it's a very popular theft lately. I got in my truck to go to work, turn the key, and it sounds like a helicopter. They got under there and unbolted it, and off they went. It's a pretty easy job, only four bolts, and they were out of there. BTW the cops told me they are targeting Toyota trucks (easy to get under there). It happened to one of my friends last month too, but they cut hers out and ruined the whole exhust system. The cops told me that they picked up a guy about a week ago with 70 of them. Of course they are valuable for passing smog tests, but they also have some kind of recycle value.

Just a heads up!
crap that was your truck......sorry man.....im trying to make bike money

mike67

Monkey
Nov 15, 2001
California
Did some digging, and here's what they are after -

Contents of a catalytic converter and value:
-Palladium: $342.00/ounce
-Platinum: $1168.00/ounce
-Rhodium: $5800.00/ounce
I found this info on a toyota board - it's a serious problem in SoCal right now, and it looks like it found it's way north too.

I don't know exactly how much of these materials are inside one cat, but obviously this is why they are grabbin them up.

I use to work in an auto shop, and if I remember correctly, you do not want to open one of these things up - extremely toxic stuff comes out.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
ah nothing like toxic chemicals on a part that is supposed to reduce pollution... :rolleyes:
better that the toxins be converted into something slightly less toxic through the reaction catalyzed in the catalytic converter than to be released part and parcel.

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
Search your local craigslist for "catalytic" or something similar.
Localy there is always a few competing ads from guys offering to buy used cats.
I remember a few years ago when parting out a car that when it came time to call the scrapper to pick up the hulk you had to hide the cat so they didn't see it or they wouldn't take it.
Parted out a few Chevy trucks over the past year or so and ended up selling one cat for $80, the other for about $100.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Why not just replace the standard hex or screw head bolts with unusual ones from the Torx bit selection ala rim puzzle locks? It is not an easy thing at all to cut an exhaust component from a car because of clearance issues unless you have a torch.

mike67

Monkey
Nov 15, 2001
California
There is a local shop that has been doing spot welds on the cats so they can't be unbolted. The problem is that they will cut them out if that's what it takes. So I've decided to just leave the simple bolts on, and start using my alarm. When they got my friends 4 runner they cut it out with some kind of battery operated saw or grinding disc. They cut it out behind the flange where it's suposed to bolt up on both sides. She had to replace the whole exhust system. BTW they did her truck while she was parked at work, in the daylight.

I think I like the smallpox idea...

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
You could chain one of these suckers under the car...

I accidentally killed one that was hanging out under the hood a couple of years back...it got wound up in the fan. I've never heard a more disturbing sound in my life and when I popped the hood, all hell broke loose. In a confined space, I'd soil myself at the sight.