Quantcast

oh my god ted, it's monday

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Steamboat's base is at 6,900' and its summit is just under 10.6

Winter Park's base is 9,000' and its top lift is a touch over 12k

besides being closer and thus more day-trippable, this factored into my decision to buy a place by Winter Park. ski season is going to get shorter everywhere, and go away completely at mid elevations...
I may be wrong, but I believe Mr. Peters is referring to Anthropogenic Climate Change killing the ski season and winter in general.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I may be wrong, but I believe Mr. Peters is referring to Anthropogenic Climate Change killing the ski season and winter in general.
indeed. no avoiding that. but higher altitude places will hang on longer.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Good day monkey brethren.

Rode my bicycle fer 19 miles yesterday. Damn I love that shit! I take a hiatus and ask myself "Do I even love riding bicycles anymore?"

The answer is yes. Yes I love riding the bicycles.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
for better or worse Ikon and Epic are both firmly entrenched here. they have to parallel each other else people who aren't tied to an area would defect.

View attachment 208890
And for context - I bought an "equivalent" pass for the '96/'97 season (called the Summit Pass) and it was $1000. The last 30-ish years has been very interesting in the NA ski market...

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
There is definite acceptance of the likelihood that JH (at least the upper 2000 ft) will hang on longer than almost everywhere. Tiny slice of the reasons Billionaires are parking here. It’s no joke.
And a small part of the reason no one is selling long-owned properties. If that comes to pass within, say, 25 years, property values here will possibly triple or quadruple (which is insane).
I’ll likely be gone.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Re: skiing, I just got a $35 check in the mail because PSIA used one of my vacation photos in their spring membership magazine. I didn't even submit the photo...my cousin did. I don't even know what photo it is, lol. I have now made more money this year as a photographer ($35) than some photographers do.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
There is definite acceptance of the likelihood that JH (at least the upper 2000 ft) will hang on longer than almost everywhere. Tiny slice of the reasons Billionaires are parking here. It’s no joke.
And a small part of the reason no one is selling long-owned properties. If that comes to pass within, say, 25 years, property values here will possibly triple or quadruple (which is insane).
I’ll likely be gone.
The biggest reason they flock to WY is the asset protection laws, LLC loopholes and estate trust anonymity, next to Florida and Arizona they are the best in the country before going over seas.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Haven't seen my brother outside of funerals for 15 years so got suckered into meeting him in Vail. I can see why Kidwoo is so angry, if these people showed up where I lived I would be too. Plenty of people who saw Dumb and Dumber as a fashion film.

View attachment 208877

Also lots of Texans
Made a gondola full of tourists from PA laugh at Keystone yesterday. We were talking about what a great day it was, and I said "...and not a Texan in sight..."

+2 points to me for making the giggles.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Winter Park has a more normal-people vibe than the Epic places, in my experience. more "I'm here for the week from St. Louis with my family" instead of "I'm here for the month from Brazil"

/me is wfh today. was going to wfh due to the schedule anyway, and then my Baby Aya developed a puking illness overnight. now she's showered clean and soaking happily in the bathtub with duckies and the like
Want "normal" people? Monarch. NO touristos, no Denverites (No offense to anyone...) no attitude, no traffic, no bougieness, cheaper, family oriented...

(Also way less skiable terrain, but you cant have everything, where would you put it??)

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Want "normal" people? Monarch. NO touristos, no Denverites (No offense to anyone...) no attitude, no traffic, no bougieness, cheaper, family oriented...

(Also way less skiable terrain, but you cant have everything, where would you put it??)
Hey now, I ski at Monarch. I am far from normal.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
for better or worse Ikon and Epic are both firmly entrenched here. they have to parallel each other else people who aren't tied to an area would defect.

View attachment 208890
I am alluding to the fact that snowfall and coverage are unlikely to continue their reduction in a linear manner as compounded by global warming. Ticket prices will not continue their linear trend.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I just got this email from K1. FDM gear for the interview/event it is!

Hi,

I help K1 Speed with public relations and wanted to know if there would be any interest in seeing if we could get some Denver-area media to cover Haley as the State Winner and her participation in the championships in April. If so, would have have time to talk briefly so that I can put together a news release? Once that’s completed, I will reach out to local media.

Have a great day!

gonefirefightin

free wieners
In other news,

A pretty massive solar flare over the weekend caused some havoc for unprepared solar peeps

Sunspot region 3590 does it again! It's third X-class soalr flare and the strongest solar flare of the currently Solar Cycle thus far peaking at a respectable value of X6.3 (R3-strong).
The solar flare peaked at 22:34 UTC and the observed X-ray value comes from GOES-18 which covers for GOES-16 as it does not provide any data at the moment. The flare was rather impulsive which isn't a great sign but it is possible that some ejecta might have left the blast site. More information will be provided tomorrow!

Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 10.13.15 AM.png

Its been pretty interesting to see how many peeps with solar had a 15-35% sudden increase in PV energy for a short burst causing inverters, MPPT's and batteries getting over clocked. For those with everything wired correctly with breakers, shunts and fuses in the right config it was nothing but a reset for their system, for others it was a expensive day. The chatter on the forums is now focused on EMP shielding.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

also all slow lifts, no?

I like my detachable 4 and 6 packs to get laps in... when there aren't crazy lines. (lines were < 5 min at WP on Sat for the record.)