Quantcast

Oh man.......

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
surfinguru said:
Well, this is what happens when you don't pay attention. I hope I can tap this out, but I have a REALLY bad feeling I really screwed the pooch on this one.... :dead:
Thats easy to remove. Drill out the threaded part all the way through so they seporate and the use some needle nose pliers and remove the rest.

Brian HCM#1 said:
Thats easy to remove. Drill out the threaded part all the way through so they seporate and the use some needle nose pliers and remove the rest.

Brian, what do you mean by "they" seperate? The flange thing, or the stem? Cause the stem's fine. It's the screw in the steerer tube that's snapped.

Crap, I need a beer. First the GF says we need to "talk" and now this.....guess that's what I get for avoiding the discussion to wrench on the bike. :rolleyes:

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
surfinguru said:
Crap, I need a beer. First the GF says we need to "talk" and now this.....guess that's what I get for avoiding the discussion to wrench on the bike. :rolleyes:
Ughhhh... I'd rather have to pull a star nut out of my eye socket than have the 'talk'. :nuts: Good luck with the girl... and the starnut too.

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
Transcend said:
long screwdriver or thin prybar. Big hammer. Bye bye starnut.

word, really it's no big deal just pry it out, bend all the lil prongs; drill out the middle, whatever you like, the girlfriend sounds so much more scarrier with the "we need to talk" good luck with her..... be patient with both.....

jon cross

Monkey
Jan 27, 2004
Banner Elk, NC
if you can't get it out, don't worry about it, just tap it down a ways and install a new one on top of it- a lil annoying to know you have it in there, but it won't affect any thing.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
A star fangle nut is 2 pieces held by an aluminum nut. By drilling out the center it will allow you to remove both pieces separately. You don't want to hit it all the way through.

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
It's so close to the top of the steerer tube already that one swift hit from the bottom will knock the whole thing out. It's no big deal to knock it through, don't go to all the trouble of drilling out the inner aluminum part.

There's nothing to worry about.

Brian HCM#1 said:
So did you have "The talk" with your GF?
Yeah, we had "the talk." She tells me that she feels we're just "skating" along, that we weren't meant to be together for the long run and that she wants to see other people. Well, not right now, but it's better to tell me now rather than telling me after the fact. Phhhtttt.....whatever....

Man yesterday was a bad day. First the GF lays that crap on me, then the bike issue and for the kicker, my DSL went out last night after all that. Anyone ever try and deal with SBC? Scripted incompetance. :angry:

Anyway, I'll have to screw around with the bike after work tonight. Thanks for all the replies everyone.

:monkey: on the loose....

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I had this happen to my first and only star nut. LOL, I was torquing down on it and it just started spinning. The middle part threaded out of the star nut. I pulled it out with pliers out of the top, and never used it again. Just use headlock systems now. Much Much easier to deal with.

Good luck with the girlfriend. Mine went through a phase like that, right about when she started getting into collage seriously. Thank god she realized that it wasn't the right thing and we're still together today, but it's like jesus christ women pick the perfect times to tell you what they want. It bites more when it's long term of any sort. Kinda starts to make you wonder why now and not 2 years ago.

Good luck on both though, I know for sure the bike will be a hell of a lot easier to fix then the girl. Too bad girls wern't like bikes or cars huh?

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
surfinguru said:
Guys, I'm not too worried about the star nut. It's the screw busted off in the steerer tube I'm stressing on. What's the best way to manage that issue?
when you say "screw" do you mean the bolt that tightens the pre-load on the headset bearings and also holds the top cap on? If so, isn't it threaded into the star FLANGED (not fangled) nut right now? Use a flat-blade screwdriver/small prybar(as recommended by Transcend) and just pop that thing outta there, seriously, No biggie. The "screw" should come out with it. As for a new star-nut and bolt, I should have both and a proper Park star-nut setter, so hit me up we can do it right (if you want help)...

Ok, bike is fixed. I just swung by the LBS and had them take care of it. Couple of bucks for the new star nut and good as new. Jeez, watching 'em work on it, I'm thinking, "D'oh! How basic!"

Now as far as the girl goes, it's done, over, caput. C'est la vie. :( It wasn't a huge surprise as we've touched on the issue not too long ago. We've known each other for a long time, but only dated for about 6 months. I suppose that's plenty of time to sus things out to know if it's gonna work long term or not.

Oh well, more time for the bike....old friends and new!

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
surfinguru said:
Ok, bike is fixed. I just swung by the LBS and had them take care of it. Couple of bucks for the new star nut and good as new. Jeez, watching 'em work on it, I'm thinking, "D'oh! How basic!"

Now as far as the girl goes, it's done, over, caput. C'est la vie. :( It wasn't a huge surprise as we've touched on the issue not too long ago. We've known each other for a long time, but only dated for about 6 months. I suppose that's plenty of time to sus things out to know if it's gonna work long term or not.

Oh well, more time for the bike....old friends and new!
Sounds like you need a beer, I'll buy you one at N* :cool:

stinky|Dan

Monkey
Aug 3, 2002
wow, i had the exact same talk about two months ago, but we'd been together for two years. life goes on. I've been riding a lot more frequently lately as a result!