Quantcast

OH GOD Cross country trip which bike?

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
I'm heading cross country in a few weeks for a month with 2 others. My dilema is i can have one bike i think. I have a 04 Heckler right now with a fox vanilla on it and its built pretty light Fr burly trail bike. I also have a 03 bighit dh with a super t. We are riding in moab and lots of other trail and such but also heading to norcal, washington, whistler for a week, and the shore. Should i ride the bighit and jack up my seat as high as possible and tough it out or ride my heckler and put the super t on it for washington,the shore and whistler? What you guys think?

Thanks!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
mobius said:
I'm heading cross country in a few weeks for a month with 2 others. My dilema is i can have one bike i think. I have a 04 Heckler right now with a fox vanilla on it and its built pretty light Fr burly trail bike. I also have a 03 bighit dh with a super t. We are riding in moab and lots of other trail and such but also heading to norcal, washington, whistler for a week, and the shore. Should i ride the bighit and jack up my seat as high as possible and tough it out or ride my heckler and put the super t on it for washington,the shore and whistler? What you guys think?

Thanks!
Boils down to what you are comfortable with. There are few people who are really comfortable riding a 40lb or more bike cross country. These people do exist, but a lot more people like to boast about riding such a bike compared to the people that can ride such a bike comfortable on XC rides.

But, what are you going to do at the northshore? Big drops? Obviously you aren't going to want to do that on the hecker. You can drop as big as you want in moab, but realistically the fun trails would be funnest on a bike that you can handle on the flats and at least short uphills.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Ehhhhh bighit. I got a drs, i can throw on clipless pedals and i did ride a 40lb AC1 around on straight up race xc trails. Forgot we are heading to north star and whistler for a week and the shore overrides. I'll be throwing down at whistler on the big drops they all look to nice trannies. Guess the bighit it is.

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
than to have not. id rather have more bike than i need than not have enough --> bighit it is :thumb:

ps for those of us that have to live vicarously through others you are morally obligated to post pics whenever you can on your trip as opposed to making us wait till you get back :drool:

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Haha it'll have to wait till i get back and itll take me awhile. I don't shoot that digital crap i shoots film :). I'm sure others will post pics maybe if we find internet access otherwise sorry you gotta wait.

Burnwood

Chimp
Nov 10, 2002
Victoria, BC
Whistler and the shore would both be lots of fun on the Heckler...Of course, you'd probably have a much better time on the bighit...

Something else to think about also...I sure wouldn't want to risk breaking my lighter bike on a road trip, since a failure of any of the parts could possibly disrupt your riding plans for atleast one day...

PS...Parts up in the Great White North are slightly more expensive than what you'd be used to...

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
What types of bikes are the other guys riding? If you're the only one with a DH bike and the other two have lightweight XC bikes, ya'll aren't going to be riding together too happily.

TamaSKA

Chimp
Sep 26, 2003
London, UK
I'm not sure they can not ride together happily with different bikes underneath.

my choice would be a bike that is a bit bigger than the heckler, but yet not a bighit. somewhat 5/5 inches of travel whit Z1FR-s, and 5th element equipped. imho

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
The heckler will be the prefered bike everywhere but the Norht Shore and maybe whistler but a-line is easily doable on the heckler. You could probably rent a bike at John Henry or somewhere in Vancouver or at whistler and have the best of both worlds...