Quantcast

Obvious EBay scammer??

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Always lookign for whats out there... Come across a deal too good to be true....so i know to look deeper rahter than get excited....

Seller has zero rating, registered today, is from italy, and has like 50 bikes listed,,,,,

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=licodert55&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=50

This has to be an obvious scammer. There are even some items with bids. Can you warn e-bay about this? Or you think its for real??

I also e-mailed about their "special, buy it now price" on one bike.......

D

{edit} ...whats a private auction? It hides the real amount the auction is at? or hides the bidder?? either way its odd.....

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Super sketch. The auction is kept private so you can't email the bidders and warn them. Anybody who sends hundreds of dollars to someone with no feedback to Italy has it coming.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Seems like Ebay should boot the user then..... Is that why its such a short auction??? By the time the slug of ebay CS gets to it they've already made off with a few thousand bucks??

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
oly said:
Seems like Ebay should boot the user then..... Is that why its such a short auction??? By the time the slug of ebay CS gets to it they've already made off with a few thousand bucks??
yeah, people are dumb. 4 people have bid on a yeti asx when the pic shows a sherman and the description says dorado. reported it to ebay, but god people are DUMB!!! :thumb:

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
dante said:
yeah, people are dumb. 4 people have bid on a yeti asx when the pic shows a sherman and the description says dorado. reported it to ebay, but god people are DUMB!!! :thumb:
There's a difference between being dumb, and trusting your fellow man and/or just not having the experience to know about the scam.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Matt D said:
There's a difference between being dumb, and trusting your fellow man and/or just not having the experience to know about the scam.
Well, certainly naive then.

I think bidding on a bike worth multiple thousands of dollars from a seller who has zero feedback is at least boardering on dumb, though...

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
oly said:
This has to be an obvious scammer. There are even some items with bids. Can you warn e-bay about this? Or you think its for real??

I also e-mailed about their "special, buy it now price" on one bike.......

D

{edit} ...whats a private auction? It hides the real amount the auction is at? or hides the bidder?? either way its odd.....
This is definately a scam, and if they offer to sellit to you outside of E-bay while it is still posted then they have violated the rules and can have the auction pulled.

If he responds then you hvae his email, report it to Ebay and (i think) the FTC. They have been going after internet scammers lately, and this dude qualifies from what I can see...

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
I especially liked how the brand-new 2004 M1 is actually a 2002 (if it even exists in the first place), and how the photo of the AS-X doesn't match the specs, which appear to be from a DH9.

cali4niabiker

Monkey
Jun 29, 2004
ATLANTA, GA
I see way too many scams as of lately. Those dumba$$e$ have nothing better to do but to act as a green sucking leech that take innocent peoples' money so they could buy themselves a 6 pack, a tube, and a couch to sit their a$$e$ on. :angry: :rolleyes:

If they scam you, why not scam 'em back? Screw around with them and have fun making them sweat. If they want your dough, you could tell them to send a self addressed mail to your box or some made up address for a fake check. You can make the check yourself from a piece of paper cut out to the size of a check. That way, they are paying to send two envelopes and postage. And, you could put your dusty art skills into good use! :evil:

Perhaps, you could just simply waste their times if they want western union wire transfer. Just ask a bunch of questions like "how does the wire transfer work," "what is western union," or "how do I walk to the bank?" Be creative. Act stupid and wear out their patience! Maybe if they are unsuspecting, they could reveal their identity... then bam! :thumb:

There was a guy who knew was getting scammed. Instead, he made the scammer look like a dumbass. Google it (www.google.com) by entering in p-p-powerbook. Its great for kicks and laughs.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
So i got a response.....

Hello,

Thank you for your email.

The bike i'm selling is brand new, sealed with warranty available ww.No
duties to be paid.
I'm a reseller and i have the opportunity to resell these great bikes for
a great price.
I can supply any size and colour you want as i make direct orders to my
supplier.
This is a liquidation sale and he needs to sell very fast.If you want to
order more bikes, we are ready to
discuss the final amount and to offer great discounts.

The buy now price is 1300 usd including the shipping charges.It's better
to order from me cause i will
end the ebay auction as soon as i receive enough orders.

If you want to order now , please reply soon and i send you the payment
and delivery details.
You have 5 days for inspection and you may send the bike back within 30
days in case you are not entirely satisfied.
We do the full refund, less the shipping charges.
Looking forward to dealing with you,
James

Sounds fishy.... I replied for payment details and also estimated shipping costs...I acted like i was eager to deal....... im going to look up fraud reporting on ebay..... anyone have a hotlink.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
The high bid on the Yeti is 900,100.00 :blah:

We should all create a fake eBay account and then all bid like a million dollars on all his auctions so that no one can win and get scammed.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
ok, response #2...

Hello,

We currently support bank transfer, western union or money gram services.
The best option for our transaction
is dealing by western union service as they are the fastest.This way we
can conclude the deal in the shortest time.
Here are the details you need for western union money transfer:

Name: Monica Seconda
Address: 39 Armoury Road
City: London
Zip: SE8 4LA

The total amount that you have to pay is 1300 usd including the shipping
charges.

We need you to confirm us the exact name and address for FEDEX delivery.We
also need these details for the gift certificate.

Once the payment is completed, we need you to email us with these details
from western union payment:

-the exact sender's name of WU transfer
-the exact amount sent
-the MTCN , the 10 digit number from your payment receipt

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Best regards,

James

Here ill have to ask some more general questions.... and i have sent in a notification to ebay..... hope it doesnt get me a bunch of spam in return........

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
If it wasn't so damn expensive I'd send a bunch of stuff to that address, like a box full of dog crap or something....

cali4niabiker

Monkey
Jun 29, 2004
ATLANTA, GA
oly said:
ok, response #2...

Hello,

We currently support bank transfer, western union or money gram services.
The best option for our transaction
is dealing by western union service as they are the fastest.This way we
can conclude the deal in the shortest time.
Here are the details you need for western union money transfer:

Name: Monica Seconda
Address: 39 Armoury Road
City: London
Zip: SE8 4LA

The total amount that you have to pay is 1300 usd including the shipping
charges.

We need you to confirm us the exact name and address for FEDEX delivery.We
also need these details for the gift certificate.

Once the payment is completed, we need you to email us with these details
from western union payment:

-the exact sender's name of WU transfer
-the exact amount sent
-the MTCN , the 10 digit number from your payment receipt

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Best regards,

James

Here ill have to ask some more general questions.... and i have sent in a notification to ebay..... hope it doesnt get me a bunch of spam in return........
Ask him if he could swing a deal where he sends a self-addressed mail for a MO or certified check. Tell him that you don't want to do a wire transfer and you've had a bad experience with it before. Come up with a bs reason why he needs to send a self-addressed mail. :thumb: Usually the desperate, money hungry spammers will fall for the trick. Keep all records of it and take a bunch of digi pics... and you could put together a funny & kickass story!

If dumba$$ $pammer falls for it, I'd stick a piece of paper with "OWNED" written on it! :evil: THis is getting interesting! hehehehe

-CAbiker

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Who falls for this stuff. You are in contact with James in Italy and you are supposed to wire money to Monica in the UK? Anybody who wants to use western union is a scammer. That's the only reason anybody would use them.

rvlacich

Chimp
Jan 18, 2004
Maryland, USA
eBay does have a system to report things you think are scams. In fact, I think I got it to work. Last week, I saw an IH SGS FR Team or something like that (the best one) and the price was half of retail. The description and pic were straight off IH's website. I checked the seller's feedback, and they were all for non-bike related goods. I noticed that the seller's location was suddenly Florida instead of something else. I suspected that this person had hacked the account, as I have been a victim of a similar scam. I reported it to eBay, and I can no longer find the item running currently or in past searches.
I can't find the link on eBay's site. I'll add it if I find it. Please, do whatever you can to stop scammers.

EDIT: Found it! Go to eBay Security Center and click on "Report A Problem" in green. In Box #1, choose "Report a listing policy violation or prohibited (banned) item". In Box #2, choose "Fraudulent listings (illegal seller demands, you didn't receive the item, etc.)". In Box #3, choose "Report a listing you think is fraudulent (you didn't bid)". Then go ahead and choose "Email" and enter up to 10 item numbers. Nail this scammer!

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
rvlacich said:
EDIT: Found it! Go to eBay Security Center and click on "Report A Problem" in green. In Box #1, choose "Report a listing policy violation or prohibited (banned) item". In Box #2, choose "Fraudulent listings (illegal seller demands, you didn't receive the item, etc.)". In Box #3, choose "Report a listing you think is fraudulent (you didn't bid)". Then go ahead and choose "Email" and enter up to 10 item numbers. Nail this scammer!

ALL OF US SHOULD DO THIS... get this guy off ebay quick, they will respond to a lot of people at once!

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I'm a "liquidator" of cuatom-painted-to-your-specifications frames?

That's logical. Who falls for this crap??

MD