Quantcast

Obtanium 3.0 spring on 3.5 shock?

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
yep, what Mike said, the spring will compress too far(causing the spring to bend) or you will bottom out the spring before the shock, limiting your travel. Don't bother spending money on the wrong item. You will be more unhappy in the end.

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
You need the 3.50 Obtainium,Nukeproof or DSP spring for your'e shock,a 3.0 will get raped under compression.I thought Obtainium head their website updated so people could order the 3.50 springs,i guess they didn't done that at all

Last edited:

miuan

Monkey
Jan 12, 2007
Bratislava, Slovakia
I've been running a 2.75" Progressive Ti spring on a 3" Roco for 2 years without issues. You may be lucky, but I guess pushing it by half inch is too much.

gav_dub100

Chimp
Aug 26, 2009
Dublin
Yeh it will definitely work, 3.5" is actually shorter than 3" in the southern hemisphere, so if you you run it upside-down your sorted! But you can save more weight if you run a 2" one and add moar shimz to stop the spring binding..

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I would say it'll probably be fine, for a couiple of years at least. I ran a 2.5" spring on a 3" shock for a few months, seemed fine to me.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I've been running a 2.75" Progressive Ti spring on a 3" Roco for 2 years without issues. You may be lucky, but I guess pushing it by half inch is too much.
I would say it'll probably be fine, for a couiple of years at least. I ran a 2.5" spring on a 3" shock for a few months, seemed fine to me.
If it doesnt actually break or bind<doubt this one will bind> youll start losing the spring rate fast. IE youll start with a 500, and after a month or two of riding itll be a 400......... This would be another reason there is a max compression for a spring.

Miuan, your lucky it hasnt broken, I would put money on it, that if you took yours off, and put it on a spring table to measure the force, itll be way low. It might feel great at first, you may not notice the binding, but when your talking about a part that costs as much as a Ti spring, why would anyone take the chance on it, just not worth it

miuan

Monkey
Jan 12, 2007
Bratislava, Slovakia
In my case the diff was not all that great, considering the spring was designed to take 1/4" less travel PLUS some preload (and I ran minimum preload). I even put some thin slices of spacers under the shock bottom out bumper to lower the travel a bit. If I ran it 1/2" out of spec, it may have been another story.

I never noticed the bike got undersprung, so yeah, I'm a lucky bastard :p
Just got my Roco pushed, so looking to make another 2+ seasons on the spring. Hope it holds up just fine.

Last edited:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Miuan, your lucky it hasnt broken, I would put money on it, that if you took yours off, and put it on a spring table to measure the force, itll be way low. It might feel great at first, you may not notice the binding, but when your talking about a part that costs as much as a Ti spring, why would anyone take the chance on it, just not worth it
It's really not that big a deal hey, you're making a mountain out of a molehill. I've run a progressive 2.5" Ti spring on 3.0" shocks for a couple seasons and had no dramas whatsoever. The spring certainly won't "lose rate" as you put it, and binding won't occur if you are within the actual stroke range of the shock - progressive for example used to give a recommended + actual stroke length for the springs, and the latter was usually ~0.6" more.

As for failure, how often do Ti springs fail anyway? I've only seen one (even on teh intarnets!) and I'd bet most of these guys running understroked springs will get away with it just fine for seasons to come.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
It's really not that big a deal hey, you're making a mountain out of a molehill. I've run a progressive 2.5" Ti spring on 3.0" shocks for a couple seasons and had no dramas whatsoever. The spring certainly won't "lose rate" as you put it, and binding won't occur if you are within the actual stroke range of the shock - progressive for example used to give a recommended + actual stroke length for the springs, and the latter was usually ~0.6" more.

As for failure, how often do Ti springs fail anyway? I've only seen one (even on teh intarnets!) and I'd bet most of these guys running understroked springs will get away with it just fine for seasons to come.
Maybe its the automotive side of me, maybe its the truck sitting on my rack Im waiting for new springs to come in for... But Ive seen springs that have been over compressed fail, I know a ti spring wont bind with how far apart the coils are. The truck on my rack is a Nissan titan, with a leveling kit on the front, its a spacer that is installed on the spring and strut assembly, effectivly preloading the spring two inches. What has happened is the customer took it offroading, bottomed out the front, and now the right front sits about an inch and a half lower. Basically, at bottom out the spring is over compressed, we are talking a spring that is a little over a foot and a half long uncompressed, that has been over compressed by two inches now.... and has lost its capacity or spring rate if you will.

Ive seen over compressed springs fail before, be it on bikes or cars, given on bikes its normally on steel springs. Not trying to say its going to explode into peices, not going to say its going to fail in a month or anythinng like that......... My part Im going with is, if your spending that much on a spring, why not get the proper one in the first place.

What your saying about the Progressive spring though, combined with Miuan having some shims that are reducing the shocks stroke a bit make sense though as to why its working and not having any issues.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I'm talking bike specific (and titanium only) applications here though, and personally I've seen it done on countless occasions with no dramas. People here have been running manitou / progressive 2.75" springs on 3.0 shocks for years now to save a little extra weight, and like I said failures are pretty damn rare. Steel spring failures are more common and have a lot less margin for error when it comes to binding as well obviously.

Not encouraging anyone to do it nor am I saying it's completely legit, but I am saying it works fine (provided you check that the actual stroke is still greater than the shock stroke) and many people are doing it without issue. :)