Quantcast

numbness - new saddle or bike fit?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
OK... serious post time...

I've been off my bike for about 6 weeks due to numbness (my penis goes numb after about 45 minutes). This is only on my hardtail, which I only use for road riding, so I'm ALWAYS in the saddle.

Is there an easy to to tell if it's the saddle or the way the bike fits? Before I got my yeti, I used to ride the HT on the trails with no problem... but when on the trail, I'm in and out of the saddle all the time. On the road, I never leave the saddle.

I don't mind buying a new saddle, especially if it will fix the problem. However, I don't want to drop $75 - $100 on a saddle if the bike just doesn't fit me. The bike is a large (not sure the measurements off the top of my head), which is usually a little stretched out for me... however I have not other discomfort when riding... aside from the numbness, the bike feels great.

Any thoughts?

andym

Chimp
Mar 30, 2004
va
I was having some discomfort on long trips in the saddle. I moved my saddle forward 5mm and fixed the problem. Of course a good saddle always helps.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
what saddle and shorts are you wearing?

I've found that too much padding is typically the problem that causes numbness. At least that was my problem. I now wear bibs that have very little padding -- just enough to help the chamois work -- and a saddle with a split center and less padding. I'm now using a saddle that has no padding at all and numbness isn't an issue.

Also, shifting around in and getting out of the saddle periodically certainly help.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I've tried the old SDG saddle that came with the bike and the Selle Italia Flite from my Yeti - no difference either way. To this point, all my riding has been winter riding, so I wear EMS brand shorts (just spandex and chamois), thermal underwear, and EMS tights - no padding.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
DRB said:
Is your saddle level? If so maybe drop the nose a bit.
for the most part... the nose is very slightly lower... but it's basically level. I'll try dropping it a bit more... put more weight on my tailbone and the back of the saddle.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
is your saddle much higher than the handlebars? If you're leaning over a good deal, maybe that's part of the problem?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
LordOpie said:
is your saddle much higher than the handlebars? If you're leaning over a good deal, maybe that's part of the problem?
About the same height. But as I said... the bike is a large, which is generally to big for me... so I am stretched out more on this bike than on my other bikes. However, the numbness is the only discomfort I feel. I assume that the more stretched out I am the more pressure there is on my groin (rather than my butt/tailbone)... is that correct? I wonder if I swapped in a shorter stem...

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Before you buy anything, what about moving the saddle forward? That'll put more weight on your hands, so be wary of that. Also, KOPS (knee of pedal) is a good general guideline, so where are your knees in relationship to the pedal? If they're already in front, well, that's an issue.

Of course, you know the right answer... buy a roadie :D

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
lol... as you know from my posts in the roadie forum... a road bike is *hopefully* in the near future.

I'll check the knee/pedal thing when I get home. Any other tips like that that I can check would be great.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
This was happening to me as well for a bit. I played around with the angle of the saddle and it went away.