Quantcast

Now THIS is interesting (more on DB spokes)

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I said in the other thread that I had just recently broken a spoke.

I said that I liked the way the DT spokes taper better than the wheelsmith taper which is a greater change over a smaller area;

I thought i had laced my wheel up with all DT spokes, but I must have gotten a wheelsmith in there somehow because the one I broke was a DB wheelsmith, I must not have realized it when I laced it.

So the wheelsmith one(the one that was differnet) broke...wierd eh?

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Maybe it couldn't take the pressure of being different. So it gave up the ghost.

While I agree with engineering logic that the longer butt length makes for a stronger spoke, I have had no durability issues with all of my wheelsmith built wheels.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
buildyourown said:
Maybe it couldn't take the pressure of being different. So it gave up the ghost.

While I agree with engineering logic that the longer butt length makes for a stronger spoke, I have had no durability issues with all of my wheelsmith built wheels.
i'd agree, it's just odd that the one "different" spoke broke, not saying that a wheel built with wheelsmiths would necessarily be measurably weaker, but i wonder if a spoke that has a different elasticity OR strength than the others creates a weak spot, or at least a spot that would see more fatique and stress?

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I don't like wheelsmith spokes, and have never had any luck with them, but it seems unlikely that the spoke failed because it was a Wheelsmith, Unless it failed at the the elbow... I think wheelsmiths tend to be slightly undersized at the elbow

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Sideways said:
Wheelsmith spokes are total pieces of ****.
Cut threads, crap butts....just pointless to waste ones time building wheels with such junk.
DT's on the other hand are a work of art.
Wheelsmith spokes do NOT have cut threads. Don't talk about stuff you don't know.

CreeP

Monkey
Mar 8, 2002
montreal bitch
we've got some bladed WS at the shop, i'm going to take a closer look at the nipples, elbows and threads tomorrow.

the dt butt is definately stronger but the butted dt's we've got are a 14 whereas the bladed ws are 15 so it could just be that that makes em look so much stronger. And we don't have to worry about cut threads anyway since we've got a phil wood machine which rolls them on.