Quantcast

not the normall what frame tread.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
With all the ragging on Trek.... Let me offer this as to how Good a company they are.... Dude warranty is Phenominal. Every little thing i have sent back gets covered. Get this One of my customers Had her Trunk Fall shut on her nice 6 month old Madone frame<The Carbon cool road bike> and is Crushed tge chainsatys and Trek gave her a new frams for FREE. Dude what company you consider good would do that... that an Expensive frame to Give away when they clearly didnt not have to.. My Next ride willeither be a VP Free or Session 77. Cant ebat the Performance for the Price. Oh and to add just for info.... Im not 15 i have ridden other bikes already so i know teh different feels to know the style of suspension i like!!!!

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
OGRipper said:
Hey DHKid, I love my vp-free but I don't see how you are going to get any of your choices for 1300 bills.
the trek is going to a bit more,around the same price as the vp. the commencal is sorta in the 1300 price range. dont forget nearly everthing is slightly cheaper here in malaysia. so if the other bikes are really worth it then i could squize out the extra cash...

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
On paper, the Commencal looks to be a really sick bike. Those guys aren't messing around when it comes to putting effort into their designs. Have you considered a PDC 825? Pretty sure someone brings in PDC stuff to Malaysia (I know there's a guy over there getting around on a DH-one), and they're fairly cheap as far as I can tell. The geometry on them looks very nice too.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I think what Turd is getting at is this. Anymore, most bikes are pretty decent. Yes, some pedal better. Yes, some just ride better. So when you decide on a bike you look at warrenty, customer service, backing of the sport, and just the general feel you get about the company. Trek just never really supported the DH/FR movement until recently. Shoot they never supported mountain biking in general untill anout 99 or 00.

Heck, I ride a Foes. I love the bike, but hate the company. I dont practice what the Turd preaches, but I guarantee I will when I buy my next bike.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Kanter said:
Shoot they never supported mountain biking in general untill anout 99 or 00.
What planet are you from youngster? Trek was one of the first mainstream mountain bike brands in the early 80s and made a notorious first generation DH bike with mining donut elastomer suspension with showa forks :drool: :D

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
thaflyinfatman said:
Have you considered a PDC 825? Pretty sure someone brings in PDC stuff to Malaysia (I know there's a guy over there getting around on a DH-one), and they're fairly cheap as far as I can tell. The geometry on them looks very nice too.
****!! thats just freakky, yes there is a guy who brings in pdc bikes, hes name is armijn, he own the first proper racing team in malaysia. he is a lurker on this forum by the name of project maheez. the freakky part is he told me to get a 825 too. and sorta off topic, but i would be working at his newly open bike shop from next week onwards.
hmm, kinda makes you think its a such a small world isn't it?
of yea about the 825, well, its gonna be heavy. yea i know, i am a freakking weight weenie. and i personally dont really trust pdc, dont get me wrong, they are a great company, but i would give them a few years to iron their designs out.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
Heavy? 11lbs with a steel spring isn't particularly heavy. I can understand hesitations with first-year releases though, from anyone - no matter how good the design/quality is, there's always a risk of oversights with some stuff. That said, I own a PDC hardtail (which I bought direct from PDC) and I'd bet my bottom dollar that Kyle would sort you out quick smart if you had any problems with the bike. His customer service is exceptional.

Yeah I've seen Armijn's (sp?) Project Maheez stuff and his pics on pinkbike, that'd be the guy I was referring to. And yes, particularly in DH circles, it's a VERY small world.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
well, 11lbs itsn'y really heavy but like i said i am a weight weenie, so everything counts. further more the commencal, (which i am 95% sure of getting now once i sell my bullit) has already been proven on the wc circuit. on top of that i dont need to change any other parts. the pdc needs a 150 spacing right? and coming from a bullit, i will prolly adapt to the commencal easier.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
syadasti said:
What planet are you from youngster? Trek was one of the first mainstream mountain bike brands in the early 80s and made a notorious first generation DH bike with mining donut elastomer suspension with showa forks :drool: :D

Well old man:), I was only 7 in 80 so I really dont remember mountain biking much. I was talking about the 90s.... I remember those a little better.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Kanter said:
Well old man:), I was only 7 in 80 so I really dont remember mountain biking much. I was talking about the 90s.... I remember those a little better.
That Trek was 92. I remember checking it out when my LBS first got it in. They usually had pimp bikes in the window too like the first Cannondale FS with the fox ALPS shock. Anyhow Trek was still important in the late 80s/early nineties. Besides the fact that DH is a very small part of most companies bottom line.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Kanter said:
Curnutt shock....pfft. Trek had mining donut shock:D

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
Secret Squirrel said:
Mmmm...donuts.....:drool: MMmmm....Curnutts.....:drool: Mmmmm...Curnutt donuts....:drool: :drool:
"Common son, give me an open faced club, a sand wedge!"

"MMNmmmmm........open faced club sandwich:drool: :drool: :drool: "

On a side note.....I'm not touching this trek debate w/ a ten foot pole. Its just making my head hurt.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Kanter said:
Yeah Trek was a pioneer in production suspension bikes but they also had some abominations and anyway selling lots of bikes is not what people mean when they talk about supporting the sport. I know they've had XC teams for years but less sure how consistent they've been with DH. I can think of guys like Bootes and others but still it's probably a valid point.

Regardless, they are promising bikes and judging someone negatively for appreciating that is silly.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
dhkid said:
well, 11lbs itsn'y really heavy but like i said i am a weight weenie, so everything counts. further more the commencal, (which i am 95% sure of getting now once i sell my bullit) has already been proven on the wc circuit. on top of that i dont need to change any other parts. the pdc needs a 150 spacing right? and coming from a bullit, i will prolly adapt to the commencal easier.
according to commencal's site, the dh frame is about 10.5lbs (with steel sprung shock), so not a huge chunk lighter. the pdc has 135mm rear spacing with swapable 12mm thru-axle, or q/r dropouts. i've been on mine for about half a year now, and its been flawless. great bike that (i think) suits your requirements well. i can understand your long term concerns, though. the company is local to me, so i can knock on kyle's door if i run into problems - you don't have the same luxury. he's doing a great job so far, and i get the feeling they'll be around for a while. the commencal does look sorted, though.

Turd Ferguson

Monkey
Dec 21, 2004
Burbank
OGRipper said:
Regardless, they are promising bikes and judging someone negatively for appreciating that is silly.
Yeah, yeah. But with a name like mine, would you take me seriously?

Zedro: I was honestly just ribbin' you. Cease de la resistance.

No Trek revolt needed here.

kidwoo: 2
Ferg:0