Quantcast

Northstar Conditions in August?

Brete

Chimp
Dec 14, 2011
Salt Lake City
Some friends are planning a trip to Tahoe for some trail riding, and I'm game to go -- if I can sneak some DH in. Wondering what the trail conditions are like at Northstar in August? I'm guessing pretty dry, but is it like 8" of powdered sugar?

Thanks!

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
incredibly fun if you don't mind getting loose and following 2 feet off somebodies ass or are willing to wait 45 seconds between riders.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
is it like 8" of powdered sugar?

Thanks!
Sometimes more like 12", but it's still fun resort riding. Just did some a few weeks back at a diff resort and I knew what to expect, so I had a blast.

ustemuf

Monkey
Apr 8, 2010
Bay Area
incredibly fun if you don't mind getting loose and following 2 feet off somebodies ass or are willing to wait 45 seconds between riders.
or the most fun option is following behind at a normal distance and not knowing what the **** you are about to ride over. usually its 2-4" diameter random rocks scattered around...

fun none the less, keeps you on your toes.. or on your face!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Hmmm .... that's a long drive for brown powder, especially considering what's right in my backyard.
The best riding in tahoe is by far the trail riding. Seriously. Embrace it.

If you've ridden deer valley late summer, you have a pretty good idea of what happens to the dirt at northstar. It's pretty similar. It's still riding lifts with friends so I wouldn't completely blow it off but just be aware you're going to be in a place that gets LESS summer precip than where you live.

Brete

Chimp
Dec 14, 2011
Salt Lake City
The best riding in tahoe is by far the trail riding. Seriously. Embrace it.

If you've ridden deer valley late summer, you have a pretty good idea of what happens to the dirt at northstar. It's pretty similar. It's still riding lifts with friends so I wouldn't completely blow it off but just be aware you're going to be in a place that gets LESS summer precip than where you live.
Yeah, we get a number of afternoon cloud-bursts in August. It dries out fast, but makes for some sweet hardpack. Still, I don't mind riding dusty/loose trails. I live in the high-desert, after all. However, if I'm up to my axles in powder and can't see the terrain at all, well ... that's just less fun.

I think you're right: I should either get stoked on the trail riding, or head to Jackson Hole instead.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
The trails at N* are far better than what we have around here and I haven't been there in a few years to ride any of the new stuff which is supposed to be pretty fun. If I was you I would go and bring both bikes. It's what I'll be doing in July.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
what!

I'll be in touch. Shooting for the weekend before the 4th up to the 4th. Think it will be impossible to find a place to camp that weekend?

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Nah, I don't do the designated ****. Just need a wooded area where no one will bother me in the creeper van.