Quantcast

no gun rights = no personal safety?

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Originally posted by Sideways
Man, it's so easy to get a random gun so super fast there is really no point.
Yes, it won't help solve a crime today. The point is if fingerprinting were implemented now then a couple of years down the road that random gun would be traceable if it were involved in a crime...

I see only value created, at no cost to freedoms, and at a minimal monetary cost on a per gun basis.

The case thrown around everywhere lately is that if our guns were currently fingerprinted, we would have known that John Allen Muhammed was the DC sniper after the first shooting... he was using a gun he purchased himself, legally and under his own name, at a local gun store. It would not have prevented the purchase, but it would have prevented a couple of deaths.

I believe the database would allow for older used guns to be loaded in retroactively, as they moved through gun shops. At the very least, it would force criminals to buy only old guns off the black market, rather than from any available outlet.

Sideways

Monkey
Jun 8, 2002
Asheville, North Carolina
Originally posted by ohio
Yes, it won't help solve a crime today. The point is if fingerprinting were implemented now then a couple of years down the road that random gun would be traceable if it were involved in a crime...

I see only value created, at no cost to freedoms, and at a minimal monetary cost on a per gun basis.

The case thrown around everywhere lately is that if our guns were currently fingerprinted, we would have known that John Allen Muhammed was the DC sniper after the first shooting... he was using a gun he purchased himself, legally and under his own name, at a local gun store. It would not have prevented the purchase, but it would have prevented a couple of deaths.

I believe the database would allow for older used guns to be loaded in retroactively, as they moved through gun shops. At the very least, it would force criminals to buy only old guns off the black market, rather than from any available outlet.
You've got some decent points here....but I'm sure criminals will find a way around even fingerprinting (a slight rebore, perhaps?).
I just don't know how effective any law is that doesn't fully bulldoze 2nd amendment rights.

The overall issue is definitely a complicated issue when you have a possitive respect for guns.