Quantcast

Nike in BMX

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
OK so I've been aware of the Nike 6.0 stuff for quite some time...

I came across these blog articles tonight:

http://blog.defgrip.net/archives/3577

http://blog.defgrip.net/archives/3561

The second one moreso for the comments on the article.

Got me thinking... what does everyone here think of Nike getting into BMX? And for that case "alternative sports" in general (skateboarding, etc).

Personally, I look at it as a double bladed sword. They are one of the largest and most recognizable companies/brands in the world. I see the involvement as advantageous for several reasons:

-A major company has taken notice of the sport and is getting involved
-They appear to be committed to it. They have a fairly large line of shoes and other apparel, are sponsoring riders & events, and are putting out a video.
-In regards to the above points, it is bringing more money and exposure to it. If the sport grows, we all win.

However, at the same time I find this all rather hard to swallow, given this is coming from a company who for a long time, was synonymous with the term "sweatshop". I find it disconcerting that a company known for exploiting third world child labor is starting to encroach on a grassroots sport driven primarily by the younger generations.

Also, personally, when buying shoes and apparel, I would rather my money be going to companies that have deep roots in the industry and have been committed to it for a long time than a company that (in my mind) is just jumping on the bandwagon of another market.

</soapbox>

JGill

Monkey
Jul 7, 2008
Norman, OK
They have no place in the skate or bike industry. Along with the sweatshops/ huge markup/low quality athletic shoes, where were they when skateboarding was emerging? Now that there is some cash to be made, they sponsor the new kid on the block and spit him out when a newer one comes along. Plus, they can afford to pay alot more, which is nice to a certain extent, but what happens when the flavor of the week runs out? I don't see how this is good for either industry. Actually I don't recall Nike having many PUBLIC skateparks anywhere. Where does all this money go that everyone spends on them everyday? They don't have the owners driving across the country to shops all along the way supporting and promoting their products. They make a buch of stuff that looks average, slap that swoosh on it pay the cool kids to wear them. What exactly are they giving back?? I remember back in the 90's, nobody would be caught dead riding or skating in Nike's. What's next, skate shoes with SHOX? Vans is big enough, but at least they've been there since '66, not 2006...

Yeah, this is something I'm passionate about... If it offends you, I won't apologize. No personal attack on anyone, just the brand in question and what it is doing out of it's realm. Some things should be kept sacred, like the soul of skating/biking. Support the brands that support you, not the ones that don't return the love.

Last edited:

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
companies are selling foam, rubber, and thread that was made in east asia. that's what is boils down to.

EXCEPT.... that a large portion of your dollars goes to support either riders/skaters/creatives/artists people who are down with you and what you are about..... or a large publicly-held corporation with duties to earn dollars for shareholders, where your shoe is just one of a hundred in a line-up of demographic-marketed designs.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
I guess without speaking to the sweatshop issue, although that is important to me and it may sway my purchasing decision...

regardless of manufacturer, if a product had the features/function that I wanted... including fit, comfort, grippy sole, and strength to hold up to abuse that "I" (that can also be "us" in the biking/skating community) will dish out, then I am buying what they are selling. Having said that, I usually check with the "little guy" brands first though.

I agree that brands like Nike look at the trends and see $dollarsigns$ that are ripe for the pick'n. A few tweaks to this basketball shoe and POW we have a “BMX” shoe. They also have big dollars to invest in R&D that can trickle down to said BMX shoe.

I am not sayin whether they should have a place in the market... I am just saying that they do.

jjchgo

Chimp
Apr 11, 2006
if it means more money in the rider's/skater's pocket then i'm all for it. that being said, you wont see me wearing a pair of nikes.

cheers,

jj

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
yes, skate shoes are on a fashion over function trend right now. the worst part is the trend back to "vulcanized." just like old converse all stars or OG vans.

when i started skating in '86, skaters who wanted a functional (and fashionable) shoe that wasn't a flat piece of bendy rubber would wear basketball high-tops.

so nike was involved in skateboarding/bmx, only by accident--skaters/bmx'ers were wearing basketball shoes because they worked.

it wasn't until around '94-'96 that etnies and DC and some other companies started designing shoes with shape, arch support, heel cushion etc. in the late 90's the shoes were getting so tech you could play basketball in them.

to me this was the high point because they were functional AND they were skater/biker owned/operated. Etnies sponsorships helped things like Road Fools happen. Taj got a vegan shoe.

now, groms don't want puffy/tech shoes with skinny pants.... so skate shoe companies are making crap slippers again.

picked up this book, it's a good coffee table read: Agents of Change: The Story of DC Shoes and Its Athletes

>

http://www.skatedaily.net/reviews/archive/20070415-project_vulcanized_vans_geoff_rowley.php

Project Vulcanized - Vans Geoff Rowley
What began as a push for more board feel has now turned into an industry standard&#65533;the vulcanized skate shoe. Quite simply vulcanized is the term used for the process of merging the rubber sole with the shoe&#65533;s upper. It first became popular in skateboarding with the Vans lace ups (now called Era), made infamous by the Dog Town crew in the seventies. They favored the boat shoes for their sticky soles and simple style. But in the last ten years skate shoes had been evolving toward a more padded upper, thicker tongues and various complex sole solutions. Now, in the last year or so, simple is making a comeback and we&#65533;re seeing vulcanized shoes from every company becoming top sellers.

Here at SKATEDAILY.net we’ve been testing out these latest vulcanized models and have decided to post a series of reviews focused on this ‘old is new again’ skate shoe trend.

Vans Geoff Rowley &#65533; Motorhead Model

It seems like only fitting to start with Vans, who gave birth to vulcanized skate shoes, back in the mid sixties. In a return to form Vans released the Geoff Rowley signature shoe in 1999. At the time it was a throw back to the &#65533;Old School&#65533; design with increased padding and modern materials in order to create a more durable shoe. It was a huge hit and has been a Vans top seller ever since.

The feel of the sole is thin and flexible. While some skate shoes can take time to break in, these Rowelys have flex almost instantly and are broken in right out of the box. When they were first introduced, many said the sole was too thin. It is true that it takes some getting used to if you’ve been skating stiffer product. The upper is fairly light and completely constructed of synthetic nubuck. I&#65533;ve been skating these shoes for years and although the upper may not last as long as other some other fabrics, the price makes up for the turn around time and I find the grip, feel and weight worth it in the long run.

This design is the third Rowley / Motorhead collaboration and features a custom side graphic as well as a set of logo printed shoe laces. You can get more info on this model and check out some photos of Lemmy and Geoff on the Vans site.

While there are dozens of new vulcanized shoes flooding the market now, Vans made a great shoe eight years ago&#65533;and it&#65533;s still one of the best.

- Chris

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
I don't follow skateboarding but they do have a killer team and had for a while so the flavor of the week comment doesn't hold water in this respect. The comment about if it puts money in the riders pocket I support and I'm confident the team riders get a nice payday. That also I support and give kudos to those guys for it. I personally don't care for their line of shoes so I don't sport em. Their new bmx vid looks really promising being they can afford a savage team, looking forward to buying it.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
I wear Vans for riding. But, I have always liked Nike. Growing up, Nikes were always cool... Jordan's, dunks, air force ones... even got some blazer lows. So, why would I start hating a brand that I have always liked for getting into a sport I like? Plus, I think most of them look sick... way better looking than most skate/bmx shoes (except for my slip on vans, of course).

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Just give up and do whatever you want. Go for the money, everyone else does. Nobody wants to hear anything about being socially responsible. That's for liberal losers. /sarcasm

aaronrocker

Monkey
Aug 7, 2008
Washington State
ill always give my money to people who are out riding and know what we as riders want because they themselves are riders. that goes with everything about the sport not just shoes.

Motoking16

Monkey
May 16, 2005
Bend, OR
You have to look at this from the athlete's point of view, Nike has the money,top designers,and distribution to make the highest performing shoe for what we do. Who cares if the 'owners' are not running round the country trying to push the product. Nike doesn't need to do that anymore. If something needs to be changed with the shoe to make it better, it will be changed for the next production run. Do you think a smaller company could do that? or would really care?

I would personally rather run something that actually makes me perform better, regardless of what logo is on it. Nike is not looking to take over BMX or Skate, the market is not near what they are massing right now in other athletic shoes around the world.

Jgill--sweatshops?... seriously? What else do you have in your closet or on you right now that was actually made in the U.S. by adult hands??

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Who cares if the 'owners' are not running round the country trying to push the product. Nike doesn't need to do that anymore.
More people care than you would think. I'd rather support a company whose owners actually give a damn about the sport they're in, and value their customers enough to stay in close touch with them.

Jgill--sweatshops?... seriously? What else do you have in your closet or on you right now that was actually made in the U.S. by adult hands??
Unfortunately, this is the downfall of America's economy. The vast majority of American citizens have gotten so accustomed to cheaps goods and apparel produced overseas that they would sh*t bricks if they saw how expensive it is to produce the same items domestically. It's not that America doesn't want domestically produced items, they're just not willing to pay for it.

Last edited:

grom-dom

Turbo Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Chapel Thrill
I wear Vans for riding. But, I have always liked Nike. Growing up, Nikes were always cool... Jordan's, dunks, air force ones... even got some blazer lows. So, why would I start hating a brand that I have always liked for getting into a sport I like? Plus, I think most of them look sick... way better looking than most skate/bmx shoes (except for my slip on vans, of course).
word. got the miami edition blazer high sb's. sooooooo comfy. i love dunk highs and blazer highs. i'm true to my vans for riding though

Last edited:

sixgun_sound

Monkey
Sep 24, 2007
Yakima, WA
Sure, now you're willing to pour money into BMX... but only because it's a calculated risk that the board of directors approved. I don't know, double-edged sword, I guess. It's nice that the sport is getting more and more mainstream, but once that happens, is it the same sport anymore?

Do you love BMX because you love riding, or do you love BMX because of the counter-culture aspects? Or both?

I love to ride... it's just that 50 kids with reflectors and chainguards keep getting in my way at the park.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
It's nice that the sport is getting more and more mainstream, but once that happens, is it the same sport anymore?
I definitely agree on this point. One of the things that makes the sport so unique is its homegrown, non-corporate vibe. I definitely see that being something that is starting to get lost, albeit much more in skateboarding and snowboarding than BMX. Not to say that's a bad thing, but is it gonna get to a point where skaters and riders are just players, with contracts and sponsors, wearing strict uniforms, and can be traded from one team to another (not unlike MBL, NBA, NFL)? Its a fine line to walk, allowing the sport to grow, while still maintaining its individuality.

JGill

Monkey
Jul 7, 2008
Norman, OK
You have to look at this from the athlete's point of view, Nike has the money,top designers,and distribution to make the highest performing shoe for what we do. Who cares if the 'owners' are not running round the country trying to push the product. Nike doesn't need to do that anymore. If something needs to be changed with the shoe to make it better, it will be changed for the next production run. Do you think a smaller company could do that? or would really care?

I would personally rather run something that actually makes me perform better, regardless of what logo is on it. Nike is not looking to take over BMX or Skate, the market is not near what they are massing right now in other athletic shoes around the world.

Seriously, I was going along with the fact that was previously stated...seriously. But seriously, does anyone know of public Nike parks going up around the country? The flavor of the week point is in regards to the fact that Nike shows up at the same time Ryan Sheckler and Rob Dyrdek (both super talented dudes don't get me wrong!) show up on MTV and skate shoes being sold at Finish Line and on Zappos.com. Where was all this when skatebording/bmx was small and there were no parks around to keep everyone off private property nad to gove kids with no places to go somewhere to be themselves? All the dollars that they have made over the last few decades would've spawned alot more pro skaters at a much more beneficial time. But that is not to say that the same issue at hand wouldn't of occured earlier with otehr companies. But, how many other companies are as big, and would play, such a huge role in skating/bmx? My issue lies in what they give back to the kids, and older guys/girls of course, that spend the little money they have (or the more money the parents have) on these *cool* new shoes and what do they get out of it besides having the exact same pair as the other kids at the parks, just with a different color swoosh. To me it would be like wearing Nike's to an old punk show... it just feels wrong. Progressing for the simple fact of progression isn't good for the skate/bmx industries. They may put a little research and design into their shoes, but they damn well better with all the resources and financial resources they have! I'm not chastizing anyone for wearing them, it's a personal choice and I respect that. But you won't see them, and never will, on my feet. Again, I would like them to give back to the industries they have invaded, like parks, skills camps, and contests. They can afford it.

Last edited:

Windowlicker

Monkey
Dec 27, 2007
Santa Cruz
That's such an idiotic campaign skateboard campaign. CONSOLIDATED skateboards is based in my town and they dumped a lot of stickers all of the place. I am down with small local companys grass roots stuff but you can't deny the money and everything Big Business gives to the sport, where would skateboarding be without big business. Video games, popular skating culture, all gone. It is just like every other company branching out into the sport. If you say don't go Nike, might as well say don't go any big businesses that give the sport support, get rid of Red Bull, all other energy drink makers, and such.

I sport Nike 6.0s. Best grip I have tried on a skate style shoe.

aeffertz

Monkey
Jun 12, 2008
Ladysmith, WI
Well,
They have no roots in any extreme sports...
It's weird how the have a "jocks suck" shoe, when the majority or their shoes are for "jocks". Not to mention, the sweatshop deal...
Nike is Not BMX. Period.

erastusboy

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
Just like alost everything else with bikes, I feel like this happened five years ago with skating.

Nike makes really good product, they tried back in the day to get into the skate market with some crap shoes, and it failed so they regrouped and put out incredible product (there shoes are really nice) so people rock them.

Its just another progression of the sport, it doesn't mean the small core companies are going anywhere, it just means more options for everyone and probably a faster progression.

Nike puts an absurd amount of money toward R&D and it shows, they are good at innovation and have people running the SB division that really do care about skating. Nike learned a long time ago that authenticity is the most important thing to get into alt sports so they brought the fire.

I say good for them.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Well,
They have no roots in any extreme sports...
It's weird how the have a "jocks suck" shoe, when the majority or their shoes are for "jocks". Not to mention, the sweatshop deal...
Nike is Not BMX. Period.
wow, i thought that was joke someone did with photoshop. it's real....

to me, that shows how full of sh*t Nike is.

someone said something about 'authenticity.' there is no authenticity with nike. to them, brand identity is something you buy. they created nike SB and nike 6.0 as sub-brands that would have separate "identities" and therefore pseudo-authenticity....

it would be like if ozzy was in a christian metal band at the same time as black sabbath. that is not authentic. if you're a phony f*cktard and pay 200 people to come to your party, it is not a cool party, no matter how many cool people are there.

the ultimate in postmodern marketing--you stand for everything and nothing, all things to all people means nothing. they used the Beatles "Revolution" back way back in an ad campaign. it meant nothing. they slapped a swoosh on something that did have authenticity, and profited by association.

i know in our consumer culture it is impossible to be "pure." to be all indie and no corporate is maybe even a pointless goal. BUT, every now and then you have to say f*ck you to the new big company on the scene--they were clueless before, now they're savvy. but still, f*ck em.

Aug 16, 2008
wow, i thought that was joke someone did with photoshop. it's real....
I'm not 100% positive but I'm pretty sure that's a custom pair. Nike has the ID tags where you can customize your shoes with different colors and words on the heels etc. I would assume that to be the case here.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
I'm not 100% positive but I'm pretty sure that's a custom pair. Nike has the ID tags where you can customize your shoes with different colors and words on the heels etc. I would assume that to be the case here.
just google nike + "jocks suck"

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
I would like to know if large companies like Nike, Specialized, etc. actually set out with the goal of using cheap labor, ruthless business tactics, etc., or if they were forced into these tactics in order to survive and prosper? Who decided that we needed cheaper products and started importing items made with cheap/slave labor? Was it Nike? Was it the US government? Or maybe a collaboration ob both? Let's find the root of the problem and attack it there, blaming Nike for cheap labor might not be the best way to combat it.

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
lame, lame, lame, lame, lame. Didn't dudes that were deep into the riding and skate scene just start wearing nikes to say ##ck you jock c*ck boy???Wasn't it something like, "im underground and don't give a s**t about your popular label wearing look, i hate you so much I'm gonna show up at your gay basketball game wearing the same gay shoes you're wearing on the court right after i get done riding the 20 stair rail in front of the high school and cheer for the other team while I sit right behind your bench".

And that brings us to now. Where there is a shoe that specifically says "jocks suck".
who the **ck is gonna wear those to anything but a Halloween party?