Quantcast

Night riding=plumb loco.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
So I went for my first night ride last night. Did the climb in dusky conditions, but the descent was in the dark.

My light setup is... modest.
Rode a trail that was fairly technical, and a blast to ride when you can see where you're going. At night...a little scary. Perhaps not the most sensible thing I've ever done.

I spent much of the ride "at the end of my rope" for fear of hitting something. Funny how you tend to focus on what you can see, realize you should be looking farther ahead, look farther ahead, then worry about what you're about to ride over. Repeat. Also, the trails are super dry around here these days. When the guy ahead of me skidded a bit, I'd suddenly be staring into a cone of light reflecting off of all the dust. Extra ridiculous.

Verdict: night riding is fun.

Verdict#2: need moar light.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
About to go outside and grab my lights from my car and charge them at my desk for tonight. Getting light worthy at around 7:00 now.......sort of depressing.

Solo night rides give me the willies.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Night riding is definitely fun...and definitely different. The eye opener for me was how you can have a trail dialed during the day, then you can ride it at night and be in for a surprise.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Ironically I have found (as well as others) that stuff tends to be EASIER to ride at night. I think not being able to see as well allows you to not second-guess potentially crappy looking lines you can see clearly in daylight and just go for it. Of course that can backfire on you, but it rarely has for me.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Night rides are super fun. Definitely makes trails more challenging.

Are you running a helmet mounted light? That cone of dust/light should be much less of a problem if you add a handlebar-mounted light. I prefer just a helmet mount with good output but for dusty stuff I'll also run a bar mount.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Running a helmet and a bar mount light also seemed to help with depth perception for me. Seemed to limit a lot of the funky shadows.

clarkenstein

Monkey
Nov 28, 2008
i like the two light set up too. i found too much light on the helmet can wash out the trail and make even uber-technical trails look flat as a sidewalk. i like a brighter handlebar light for the shadows it creates and only put the helmet light on sunburn for fast downhills.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Ironically I have found (as well as others) that stuff tends to be EASIER to ride at night. I think not being able to see as well allows you to not second-guess potentially crappy looking lines you can see clearly in daylight and just go for it. Of course that can backfire on you, but it rarely has for me.
I think that means you're a pvssy. :monkey:

:D

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
We do a lot of moonlight rides out here. No lights.

Of course, one night, a cloud blocked out the moon as I dropped into a really technical rock roller. Pitch black all of a sudden. Somehow rode it out.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
It means I'd prefer not to blow into a straw the rest of my life if I can avoid it.:p
The straw ain't so bad. Mine only lasted for a couple of months. In the hospital, some visitors thought my straw was a direct tap to roorbeer.

Night riding is a game changer. Did it once or twice by accident without lights. Did it once with lights, and think it was easier to not see what was coming and just assume the worst. The light ride was on a trail I knew like the back of my hand, but it was almost a shorts changer.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Full moon summer nights in teh Mojave made for fun rides...scaring up coyotes, stopping for beers at the halfway, none of those sissy lighting systems...

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Night riding is a blast. I run a combo bar and helmet mount to help with depth perception.

Highly recommend the Light&Motion Stella for a helmet mount light.

Water crossings, solo, at night, in the winter are extra special creepy.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I gotta say.... I dont do night rides with lights at all . Only go out on clear full moon nights, and I can see just fine... In fact The only time I did go out with lights I couldn't see ****, full moon with no lights I could see much better..... Theory is that my eyes just adjusted for the low light situation, were with thelights they adjusted on the light leaving everythign else pitch black....

Speaking of full moon rides... I think its time

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I dabble in it. I currently I have a 10" scab on my abdomen from almost impaling myself on a tree after Joe Badass Dog Walker stood his ground on a trail by my house while coming home last night. I was poaching and out of control to qualify...

Matchew

Monkey
May 26, 2006
NH / Mass (ugh)
Night riding on inches of freshly fallen wet leaves on a rigid single speed is where its at. Did it once last year on trails I know well and it was quite humbling to say the least. The bike actually does a good job of making you ride within the limits of your vision.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
You guys that ride w/o lights on full moon nights must lack these things we call trees. No way in hell you could do that here. The fireroad climbs, sure, but once you're in the forest it's pretty much pitch black, full moon or no.

Last edited:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Forgot to charge the battery for my helmet lights and only had the handlebar lights for last nights ride in HP. Could have swapped them over but I was too lazy (much prefer to have helmet if only one set is working).

I didn't die so it was a success. Charging both at my desk for tonight as we speak. Thinking about getting out of work early and doing 2 rides.....one in the late afternoon and one at night.

clarkenstein

Monkey
Nov 28, 2008
Thinking about getting out of work early and doing 2 rides.....one in the late afternoon and one at night.
that would be an awesome day.

if i only have one light i actually prefer having the light on the bars. i usually ride twisty singletrack for my night rides, so it makes corners a little harder to figure out, and it takes a little getting used to it, but i feel like bar lights just work better for me.

i guess i do have to slow down more when i only have a bar light, but i dunno, it just makes me feel... more complete as a person.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
The main reason I prefer the helmet is for rocky/chunky, quick up-and-down technical sections, which a lot of stuff around here is. With lights on just the bars, you could be heading up the crest of a rocky section that drops off immediately, but you can't see **** on the back side because the lights are shooting straight up into the air.

As a matter of fact, I almost went OTB last night on a rock roller because of that very reason. Backside wasn't lit up and rolled right into a rock with the front wheel, bringing me to a dead stop. Momentum made the rear wheel come off the ground (keep in mind this is a ~45 incline) and had that "oh ****" feeling. Luckily I was able to yank up on the bars super hard, lean back and roll over it. Too close for comfort though.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
It's that time of the year again kids, so I scored one of these to run on my bar in addition to my Stella helmet mount.

Light&Motion Seca 750:

old light vs. new light:

With both bar and helmet lights on high:

So much fun being able to see more than just the width of singletrack. Makes it a lot easier to stay on the trail.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Sunday night a huge gray owl swooped down a few feet off the trail, caught a critter and perched on a limb with it hanging out of it's mouth. Pretty freakin cool to see in person at night.