Quantcast

Newsflash: Jim Demint is a dick

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Jim DeMint: Veterans Hiring Bill Is A Democratic 'Trick'

"Despite the overwhelming evidence that these tax credits do not stimulate hiring for targeted groups, the Obama administration continues to push Congress to pass another tax credit, this time exclusively for veterans," he said. "By using a politically sensitive group the day before Veterans Day, the Democrats are hoping they can trick Republicans into further complicating the tax code."
I'm of the opinion that there's really not a whole lot that can be 'over compensated' with regards to veteran treatment. Especially those coming from something like Iraq where you're faced with all the atrocities of war, and the very real awareness that you almost died so someone could get rich. Even if you don't share that view, war still sucks.

So now veterans are a special interest group. Awesome.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Why would he care? He has not served anyones interests but his own, why would he have empathy for vets? Reading his bio, he sounds like HK...

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
I'd rather see us drastically reduce the size of our military, but up the pay to ~$250k/year with a $5m life insurance policy taken out on each soldier (payable to surviving family members). Have a small, elite fighting force comprised of the best our country can offer (and the higher pay will ensure a large enough pool of recruits to choose only the best). That combined with the fact that suddenly combat deaths get *really* expensive for the US Gov't will hopefully lead to less frivolous wars of choice?

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
Stuff like this cracks me up. Jim DeMint has absolutely no problem with being a dick. He just doesn't like being exposed while being a dick. That's a dirty trick I tell ya.

Of course, DeMint does have the high ground here. Republicans would never politicize a vote.

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
I'd rather see us drastically reduce the size of our military, but up the pay to ~$250k/year with a $5m life insurance policy taken out on each soldier (payable to surviving family members). Have a small, elite fighting force comprised of the best our country can offer (and the higher pay will ensure a large enough pool of recruits to choose only the best). That combined with the fact that suddenly combat deaths get *really* expensive for the US Gov't will hopefully lead to less frivolous wars of choice?
Sadly, the 25 billion for 5,000 deaths would be a drop in the bucket. :(

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
:stupid:

Kinda like how I feels teachers should be paid, only without the death insurance. :D

A large issue with military pay is MANY of the top guys leave active service for crazy civilian pay rates to use the skills the military gave them. If there were better incentives (and a lot less waste of life, too), this wouldn't be much of an issue.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
personally, i'd be OK with giving vets their own tax bracket, and setting it at something like 1%
That's a horrible idea.

Index it by rank, maybe. You really want General McFvcktard to hop over to Boeing and get taxed at 1% on his huge compensation package? I can't think of a better way to make a horribly corrupt system regarding Pentagon procurement even worse.

Anyways, can I chuckle for a minute? Just like cops and firefighters, military members thought they were immune from this? You're a like teacher, except you're even MORE expendable, because they don't even blink when they send to you die or get electrocuted in shoddily built showers. Until the day you make zero dollars, you're making too much according to the GOP.

Last edited:

JetTeach

Monkey
Aug 18, 2011
That's a horrible idea.

Index it by rank, maybe. You really want General McFvcktard to hop over to Boeing and get taxed at 1% on his huge compensation package? I can't think of a better way to make a horribly corrupt system regarding Pentagon procurement even worse.

Anyways, can I chuckle for a minute? Just like cops and firefighters, military members thought they were immune from this? You're a like teacher, except you're even MORE expendable, because they don't even blink when they send to you die or get electrocuted in shoddily built showers. Until the day you make zero dollars, you're making too much according to the GOP.
Actually it is a great idea but ONLY for their military retirement or benefit paid in lieu thereof. Veteran disability and compensation is already non-taxable why not extend that to retirement pay?

Anything they made outside of that category would be taxed at the normal rate, whatever that may be.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Actually it is a great idea but ONLY for their military retirement or benefit paid in lieu thereof. Veteran disability and compensation is already non-taxable why not extend that to retirement pay?

Anything they made outside of that category would be taxed at the normal rate, whatever that may be.
Not unlike Nike/Intel employees who get paid during a deployment. Military pay earned is tax free (to a point) but the civilian pay they get while there is taxed as usual.

I would support that. Retirement from MILITARY pay untaxed, anything else is fair game.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Yeah, no tax on my military retirement would be cool, if I could get the state to follow (MD), that would be cool too.

And to be clear, McCain is as big of a dick as Demint. McCain wants to kill TRICARE for retired military people of "working age". Says retirees should pay health insurance at the rate everyone else does. OK, except for the benefit it is in exchange for military service. And this coming from the Admirals son who finished last at the Academy, almost single handedly burnt down a carrier, got shot down and captured and has lived off the Senate tit for 30 years or so.

goofy

Monkey
Mar 20, 2004
olney md.
Yeah, no tax on my military retirement would be cool, if I could get the state to follow (MD), that would be cool too.

And to be clear, McCain is as big of a dick as Demint. McCain wants to kill TRICARE for retired military people of "working age". Says retirees should pay health insurance at the rate everyone else does. OK, except for the benefit it is in exchange for military service. And this coming from the Admirals son who finished last at the Academy, almost single handedly burnt down a carrier, got shot down and captured and has lived off the Senate tit for 30 years or so.
Have you noticed over the last few years McCain has been saying we need to go to war with whatever country that is pushing against the US, but at the same time is pushing for lower benefits for the military.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Have you noticed over the last few years the GOP has been saying we need to go to war with whatever country that is pushing against the US, but at the same time is pushing for lower benefits for the military.
ftfy.

Tow the line.