Quantcast

NEWS: Ready or Not, Here Comes 650

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I thought the 34 was already compatible? Could be wrong...

I'd say it depends on whether you will or won't mind the tiny bit of head angle increase. I honestly wouldn't buy a fork to "convert" as you won't have full tire compatibility. I can't run nobby nics on my current fork, but those are supposedly huge.
Yeah def not trying to 'convert' if anything im looking to buy bigger knowing the inevitable swap in the future...I dont know the answer but looking at fox's site it leads me to believe they are actually 2 different forks (650 and 26). To your point I am not sure the extra height would bother me a bit.

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
Yeah def not trying to 'convert' if anything im looking to buy bigger knowing the inevitable swap in the future...I dont know the answer but looking at fox's site it leads me to believe they are actually 2 different forks (650 and 26). To your point I am not sure the extra height would bother me a bit.
Yes, it appears that Fox has two different 34 forks - one 650b, and the other 26". But I wonder what the real difference is. Anyone know? Spacer or something? Could a 650b 34 fork be converted to the 26" version.

X-Fusion's 26" forks are 650b compatible. (Some models may require a spacer to be installed. Maybe only on older models???)

Vrock

Linkage Design Blog
Aug 13, 2005
Spain
They are two different forks, 650B is longer and have a bigger offset, so it's really a dedicated fork, it's not just a little bit longer 26'' F34.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Well i guess that settles it, always been a fox guy but the versatility of the xfusion seems on point. Prob will end up being my dj fork years down the line when it's all beat up and tired.

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
All X-fusion forks are 650b compatible. You do need to install a 10mm travel reduction spring.
I measured up a 650b Hans Dampf and it would be marginal at best (maybe 1-2mm between tire and brace) in a 2012 Vengeance. Maybe that would change with a wider rim, as the rim the tire was mounted to was only 19mm internal width.

A 2.5 26" Maxxis Highroller on a 19mm internal rim width is about 1-1.5" smaller in overall height when compared to a 2.35 650b Hans Dampf on a similar rim. The Schwalbes are significantly taller than the tires from Pacenti for similar nominal sizes, and i think that is how X Fusion can get away with calling their 2012 forks compatible.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
Thx, that confirms what i suspected. Unfortunately the nascent 650 market was built around a low volume casing. I guess Kirk P felt he had no choice at the time, given the 'dremel your fox arch' fork options.

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
I measured up a 650b Hans Dampf and it would be marginal at best (maybe 1-2mm between tire and brace) in a 2012 Vengeance. Maybe that would change with a wider rim, as the rim the tire was mounted to was only 19mm internal width.

A 2.5 26" Maxxis Highroller on a 19mm internal rim width is about 1-1.5" smaller in overall height when compared to a 2.35 650b Hans Dampf on a similar rim. The Schwalbes are significantly taller than the tires from Pacenti for similar nominal sizes, and i think that is how X Fusion can get away with calling their 2012 forks compatible.
That's not very good news being a Vengeance owner, HD fan, and 650b-curious.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA

You should pass that info onto X-Fusion...

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
The tight clearance issue does seem to be the case if you look at the pics of Norco's Range Killer B line. The pic of the Range B-3 shows a spec of the Vengeance 160mm with a Hans Dampf 650b - very tight! (The bike's specs, however, list a Nevegal in the build list). Contrast that fork clearance pic of the Vengenace/HD 650b combo with the pic of the Fox 34/HD 650b found on the Range B-1 and B-2. Quite a difference (at least from the pics, which maybe are deceiving).

http://www.norco.com/bikes/mountain/all-mountain/range-killer-b/

Uh-oh. I was hoping to give a Hans Dampf 650b a shot on my Vengeance.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Yeah, all indications suggest that the 2.35 NNs are enormous, especially compared to other 650b offerings. I'm enjoying my converted bike, but I'll wait until bikes are designed with 650b tire clearance from the get go before it's time to get another.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I am pretty close to pulling the trigger on a 2013 Norco Sight Killer B -1. The only thing holding me back is cash not the wheel size.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
So let me just confirm, are we saying that the 2013 xfusion stuff will have clearance issues with a 2.3 Hans Dampf? Or only the older models were marginal at best?

I’m a pretty hardcore maxxis guy so not too concerned but hoping if they are marketing those forks as 650b clearance isn’t an issue. Anyone else feel like this type of thing should be very explicit on both the fox and xfusion sites? I am not a rookie to this and it is somewhat vague with both manufacturers.

Last edited:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
So, if the 2.35 schwalbe tires are big and tall, just put them on your 26 inch wheels.
Should be close to the same outside diameter of a 650b setup, but you will only have to buy a set of tires instead of buying a new frame, a new fork, a new wheelset, and new tires.
It won't do much for trendiness though.

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
Yeah, all indications suggest that the 2.35 NNs are enormous, especially compared to other 650b offerings. I'm enjoying my converted bike, but I'll wait until bikes are designed with 650b tire clearance from the get go before it's time to get another.
But it looks like you'd still have an issue with those Schwalbe tires and some 650b "compatible" forks. Maybe a 29er fork is needed where tire clearance is an issue. Now it starts to get ugly....

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
So, if the 2.35 schwalbe tires are big and tall, just put them on your 26 inch wheels.
Should be close to the same outside diameter of a 650b setup, but you will only have to buy a set of tires instead of buying a new frame, a new fork, a new wheelset, and new tires.
It won't do much for trendiness though.
haters gonna hate and all that.

The idea is that when the real tires start rolling, the difference will be more significant. Everybody loves to use the smallest tire on a 650b wheel to say "Look, not much difference! You could use a big tire on a 26 and get the same difference! I'm really smart!" When the NNs are laced up, they'll be significantly larger than a 2.35 NN in 26", get what I'm saying? The problem is that most manufacturers haven't caught up yet.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
But it looks like you'd still have an issue with those Schwalbe tires and some 650b "compatible" forks. Maybe a 29er fork is needed where tire clearance is an issue. Now it starts to get ugly....
it doesn't have to be. It's just that manufacturers really want to jump on the bandwagon right now, and not everybody is prepared to do it right. Give it time and they'll figure it out. I'm not sure that xfusion is the measuring stick that we should use to judge the entire industry by.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
it doesn't have to be. It's just that manufacturers really want to jump on the bandwagon right now, and not everybody is prepared to do it right. Give it time and they'll figure it out. I'm not sure that xfusion is the measuring stick that we should use to judge the entire industry by.
I agree, that is why i dont want to go hog wild yet. I'm just a guy trying to buy a stout fork.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
haters gonna hate and all that.

The idea is that when the real tires start rolling, the difference will be more significant. Everybody loves to use the smallest tire on a 650b wheel to say "Look, not much difference! You could use a big tire on a 26 and get the same difference! I'm really smart!" When the NNs are laced up, they'll be significantly larger than a 2.35 NN in 26", get what I'm saying? The problem is that most manufacturers haven't caught up yet.
This. Like I posted, I'm pretty sure Kirk Pacenti intentionally used a low sidewall neomoto design so it would (barely) fit in at least some 26er frames and forks. I would assume any intelligent frame designer working on a 650-optimized frame now would be keeping in mind that there will be normally sized (i.e. large volume) 650b tires on the market.

I seem to recall that the 650b white bros forks had a ton of clearance w/ the smallish 650b tires e.g. nevegal, so maybe this 'compatible w/ many but not all 650b tires' issue is only with regard to current x-fusion forks.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gallery/article/interbike-2011-new-mountain-bikes-from-jamis-31868/13/

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
This. Like I posted, I'm pretty sure Kirk Pacenti intentionally used a low sidewall neomoto design so it would (barely) fit in at least some 26er frames and forks. I would assume any intelligent frame designer working on a 650-optimized frame now would be keeping in mind that there will be normally sized (i.e. large volume) 650b tires on the market.

I seem to recall that the 650b white bros forks had a ton of clearance w/ the smallish 650b tires e.g. nevegal, so maybe this 'compatible w/ many but not all 650b tires' issue is only with regard to current x-fusion forks.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gallery/article/interbike-2011-new-mountain-bikes-from-jamis-31868/13/
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if he did. Do you know if the panaracer rampages are small tires? The tires are pretty similar and panaracer makes the neo motos. It looks like there's pretty good clearance on the range, even with the high volume nobbynics. That's a good sign...not sure how many people will be on anything larger than a 2.4 on an all mountain bike. Most DHers are on 2.35 or equivalents.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I 'm an old all mountain rider . At first I was confused about this issue of 26" vs 650b/27.5" (27" actually). So, I read, asked everybody for advice only to be more confused. Eventually I found a quote from Brian Lopes in his book : " ... the most important upgrade you can make to your bike is the kind of tires you use...". Moreover , I found a post on a forum: " firstly, measure the height of your wheels at the preassure you ride, floor to top". Indeed, with the tires I use (Continental Mountain King 26x2.4 @ 40psi) my 26" bike is actually a 27.5" one, since the floor to top height is a little over 27". My tires are perfect for my riding and grip the ground as if glued. Moreover, I felt almost no difference between my bike and other all mountain bike 27.5x2.2" I borrowed from a friend. I said "almost" because my 26" bike has a better grip and roll over obstacles with as easily. I conclude that this whole 27.5" (650b or whatever it 's called) affair is a dirty marketing trick to make us spend on a new bike. I'm not a radical 26" for ever, but I'm not going to buy a 27.5" until my 26" die.
Bots can now emulate RM trolling?

Vrock

Linkage Design Blog
Aug 13, 2005
Spain
Only 1% of the people on the survey ride DH, so they really don't know what's going on.