Quantcast

New XT

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I've got a 2000 and 2001 group for my XC bikes. I don't see any particular need to get anything new... I didn't read the link but if this has the integrated BB... I am just not sure about that.

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
Originally posted by Echo
So now XT and XTR have those funny shifters and are rapid rise only. SRAM here we come :D
Yep, I am thinking the same thing. SRAM needs to jump at this oportunity.

The only thing holding me to the big S is trigger shifters.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I like Shimano cassettes, that is the only Shimano part I like. Looks like the only change is the new cassette is not available in 12-34. I wish Shimano made a 12-34 8 speed cassette.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Don't discount the new shifting until you've had an opportunity to really test it out. I went with the new XTR this year. Initially I was going to use my old rear derailleur because I was sure the low normal wouldn't shift as well but decided because I was going to change my shift habits to try it anyway. the old derailleur was getting a bit tired too. What do you know! I really like the low normal shifting and find it down shifts better. I can also shift and brake simultaneously better than before. The new shifting is really good for small hands like mine too. Rapid fire was always a bit of a reach for the thumb or finger depending how I set it up. I do like grip shift too but its not very good ergonomically with respect to the brake levers for small fingered folks. That and those plastic derailleurs were not strong enough for my riding style having broken two 9.0SL's in 6 months. SRAM now use less plastic so they might be better now. The XO is silly expensive up here at around $300. Although I think XTR derailleurs and shifters/levers are quite a bit more and the whole group is the most expensive set up I know. But hey, I'm doing OK money wise.

The new bb crank affair is also a thing of beauty. It's stiffer and easier to mount. I expect it will be cheaper to replace the bb bearings too as the axle is not part of the bb.

Center lock rotors work quite well too and Hugi will be making compatible hubs this summer. Others will probably be coming along soon. But older xt 6 bolts will work too as they do with XTR now.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Yeah..........till you crash and have to replace the entire unit - integrate this Shimano. :dead:

Originally posted by oldfart
Don't discount the new shifting until you've had an opportunity to really test it out. I went with the new XTR this year. Initially I was going to use my old rear derailleur because I was sure the low normal wouldn't shift as well but decided because I was going to change my shift habits to try it anyway. the old derailleur was getting a bit tired too. What do you know! I really like the low normal shifting and find it down shifts better. I can also shift and brake simultaneously better than before. The new shifting is really good for small hands like mine too. Rapid fire was always a bit of a reach for the thumb or finger depending how I set it up. I do like grip shift too but its not very good ergonomically with respect to the brake levers for small fingered folks. That and those plastic derailleurs were not strong enough for my riding style having broken two 9.0SL's in 6 months. SRAM now use less plastic so they might be better now. The XO is silly expensive up here at around $300. Although I think XTR derailleurs and shifters/levers are quite a bit more and the whole group is the most expensive set up I know. But hey, I'm doing OK money wise.

The new bb crank affair is also a thing of beauty. It's stiffer and easier to mount. I expect it will be cheaper to replace the bb bearings too as the axle is not part of the bb.

Center lock rotors work quite well too and Hugi will be making compatible hubs this summer. Others will probably be coming along soon. But older xt 6 bolts will work too as they do with XTR now.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I'm not sold on rapid rise either. For racing, I can see the benefits. Personally, for regular trailriding, I'd rather go up the cassette faster than down.

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
I just don't get it. I mean, I'm all for progress, and I've had good experiences with Shimano stuff so far, but they don't seem to be in touch with the simple fact that RIDERS DON'T WANT RAPID RISE. If you release a product and nobody buys it, don't try and shove it down out throats again under a new name! Dumb, dumb. And, the trigger shifters are their bread and butter - SRAM will make a killing off this.

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Oh, and as soon as anyone has a report on the new SRAM triggers, please let us all know. Also, does anybody know if Shimano will continue to build and sell the traditional Rapid Fire shifters and NORMAL (not Low Normal) rear derailleurs??

I'll reserve opinion on the Rapid Rise and the funky shifters, because I've only used them in a bike shop parking lot (and had a hard time in the big 5 minutes).

However, I've been riding the basic design of the new-style cranksets for 8 years already, and I am sure it's smart, strong and light! I am psyched to see that it's come down to XT, without the stupid lacquer coating and WITH a 48 tooth big ring option! Outstanding!!

Mix that crankset in with an 8-speed rear end and an XC/Pro front shifter... Niiiiiiiiice. :monkey:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
I don't understand any of this...............
This kind of yappin reminds me of the DH forum..........
Think i'll go back to the Lounge and PacN.W. forum full time again.:D

Drunken_Ninja

Turbo Monkey
Aug 25, 2002
Hangin' with Riggs and Mertah
i might try it.

buying new hubs is a real pisser though.

i was so proud when i finally got rid of shimano hubs and switched to sram.

i dunno if i got what it takes to unload my sram rear derailleur.

i might just try the sramie thumbs despite my curiosity with this one.