Quantcast

New xc bike in long time...help me out!!

viper2pt0

Chimp
Mar 22, 2005
Somers, NY
Hey all, Later this week I'll be picking up a like-new 08 specialized stumpjumper pro frame from a buddy of mine. I believe he said its 5.4" of travel. I plan to build this into a nice xc frame. I would like to keep it fairly light. Could you please recommend a fork that would suit this frame travel-wise, be fairly light, and not break the bank? I currently have a Marzocchi All Mountain 3, which is a pretty low end fork, and I think its heavy, but if you think I should just use this, I will. Let me know what you advise! Thanks in advance.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I always recommend FOX because I have personally never had a problem with any of mine. I would think you could pick-up a lightly used F120 (4.7" of travel), Vanilla or Float (5.5" of travel) and that would make for an awesome set-up.

STPIZZAY

Chimp
Nov 22, 2007
Sacramento
I like my REBA a whole lot on my XC bike, but i have to agree with the FOX claim, their forks haven't let me down yet.
I wouldnt recommend the manitou above this post, its to heavy duty for XC.

Nov 20, 2008
go fox or go home.

three reasons:

1. they are awesome.

2. many specialized bikes are designed with fox components in mind

3. how can you argue with a name like vanilla.

(you should get the float tho)

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
Having had a Stumpy for about 3 years, I will reccommend the Fox Float RL or RLC for your uses. Its a light for, it has tons of travel adjustability, whether you want to ride it at 100mm 0r 140mm and its really durable. I've had to change my seals for the first time in 3 years and I ride the hell out of that bike.

If you are building a bike, go for Fox as they really stand behind their stuff and in my experience, they will never let you down.