Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
CB stamp composite flats are terrible, big axle bulge. CB Stamp alloys have been good for me on my trail and DH bikes.

Edit:
For large platforms in composite I like the wahwah2's.
They used to be like that, but the Gen 2 are completely different and lost the bulge. The shape is now almost identical to the alloy ones.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Any input on setting up cockpit for a taller rider!! GREATLY APPRECIATED!!! DJ is not my thing till now..

Grabbed a 2023 commencal absolut RS off a buddy...figure airbag and pump track mainly...

Plans are: ohlins DJ fork 27.5, more aggressive tire slightly, i9 wheelset mulleted 26/27.5.

I did i9 stem and renthal 35mm bars 40mm rise, one up pedals .it's all trial and error for me..
Want to sit behind it a bit more and slack it out just a smidge..

20240210_121441.jpg
20240210_121433.jpg
20240210_121448.jpg

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Of course any input guys I am always all ears and listen, so any help is greatly appreciated as always...

So our hitting curbs and little lips to try and just get used to how short and balance . Took a couple culdesac attacks to get used to throwing ass end around for a partial whip and started to try semi flattys off curb hits ..
Did stand over it, use one leg to kick it out and can rotate bars and whip back end around 360 easily...(way easier than I thought) ...these bikes are actually fun...

What seems to be getting me is the distrust to bunnyhop it effectively, it's my balance point...I think just ride it and hit pump track to get dialed a little bit..manualling I will need a bit of time to get comfortable.....

Someone mentioned do not try and preload a face of a jump like big bikes...let the jump send you and get the lean angle dialed off lip.

Going to set airbag up tomorrow and try and send it...

Stem is 35mm with a few degree rise (i9)
Fork is good and yeah it won't do much, but I can swap it out and set it up for almost an even push...

Wheels I want to mullet to set it up a bit slacker.

Yeah I have my 40mm rise on it now and feels pretty good.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Could you tell the difference between a rigid fork and an Ohlins on a bag?
No, just on take off..but when I look at bike I can...lol besides if it's an even push $ why not...

On take off there's a difference, on landing I don't think you'd feel much of a difference on a BMX bike...I just want to cause I can buy no real reason aside of that.. it's a DJ I won't outride the pike,I know that...not my strong suit, but I want to try and have fun

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
No, just on take off..but when I look at bike I can...lol besides if it's an even push $ why not...

On take off there's a difference, on landing I don't think you'd feel much of a difference on a BMX bike...I just want to cause I can buy no real reason aside of that.. it's a DJ I won't outride the pike,I know that...not my strong suit, but I want to try and have fun
What about a 24" BMX bike? That'll get the bar height you want.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Taller bars would give you more stack and a bit less reach. Going mullet will shorten the Reach a little also. How tall are you?

So I noticed on the way these sit, bars swept back keeps weight centered or back...I assume taller bars elongates me and keeps more of my weight upright and not over???

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I may be just old but I went back to 50mm stems on my bikes, including the DJ. I like it more. I dont have good words to explain the difference. I built my DJ in 2010 so my ride might be dated. Once you put in the hours you'll get the balance down.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I may be just old but I went back to 50mm stems on my bikes, including the DJ. I like it more. I dont have good words to explain the difference. I built my DJ in 2010 so my ride might be dated. Once you put in the hours you'll get the balance down.
Yeah it has a narrow window of balance..but if you are used to it and do tricks I can see how they are rotating and whipping..as soon as you go for or aft of that point the bike can be manipulated...so cool...not dead like a big bike

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Yeah it has a narrow window of balance..but if you are used to it and do tricks I can see how they are rotating and whipping..as soon as you go for or aft of that point the bike can be manipulated...so cool...not dead like a big bike
It's also a trip how tight the rear tire can tuck. It takes some getting used to. I like the curb fufanu's. Tucking a full send bunny hop is steezy as can be.

I love a good jib session/parking lot bike test.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
It's also a trip how tight the rear tire can tuck. It takes some getting used to. I like the curb fufanu's. Tucking a full send bunny hop is steezy as can be.

I love a good jib session/parking lot bike test.
I understand this bit-"It takes some getting used to." and this bit-"parking lot bike test."
The rest, not so much.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I have the same bike in silver / medium size, and just use it as a pump track bike. Echoing what others say: it feels weird and small at first, just ride it for a few hours and it'll feel less weird. I was told to pump up the air to whatever the chart says (i.e. rock hard), run the rebound WFO, and run compression as stiff as I could tolerate. Based on that kind of setup, the brand of fork doesn't matter.

Also running an A318 stem (flipped for 6mm rise) and 40mm Renthal bars. I like the 7 degree sweep on those better for this little bike than the stock Spank bars, but its pretty minor. I know it's blasphemy on a DJ bike, but I added a front brake because I don't do bar spins, and the local pump track has lots of kids going in unpredictable directions, so braking is kinda needed.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I have the same bike in silver / medium size, and just use it as a pump track bike. Echoing what others say: it feels weird and small at first, just ride it for a few hours and it'll feel less weird. I was told to pump up the air to whatever the chart says (i.e. rock hard), run the rebound WFO, and run compression as stiff as I could tolerate. Based on that kind of setup, the brand of fork doesn't matter.

Also running an A318 stem (flipped for 6mm rise) and 40mm Renthal bars. I like the 7 degree sweep on those better for this little bike than the stock Spank bars, but its pretty minor. I know it's blasphemy on a DJ bike, but I added a front brake because I don't do bar spins, and the local pump track has lots of kids going in unpredictable directions, so braking is kinda needed.
I did the a35 stem flipped for rise and 40mm renthal rise bars . Definitely helped over the flite set up...
It is getting a little more relaxed feeling...
I'm doing my formula the one brakes on it front and rear ..only cause it has rear and I don't want aismatches set...same I don't expect to do bar spins..
I'll ride it on airbag today and culdesac, when it dries out I'll hit pump track and little booters to just find a rhythm..

Glad I'm not the only one who got on one and thought WTF...due to size..

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
How sets of retro Formula The One brakes do you have? :busted:

What's on your v10?
2 sets lol.. hunted em down so I have spare parts ..love those brakes .

Running hopes with galfer rotors 223/203 2mm and galfer pads
.btw never rode hard tails or dirt jumpers, so a 7' jump for my first ride is eye opening..man it is light and kicks you high...super nimble almost scary
Screenshot_20240211_153700_Gallery.jpg

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
2 sets lol.. hunted em down so I have spare parts ..love those brakes .

Running hopes with galfer rotors 223/203 2mm and galfer pads
.btw never rode hard tails or dirt jumpers, so a 7' jump for my first ride is eye opening..man it is light and kicks you high...super nimble almost scary View attachment 207605
Yah those bikes are much different.

Now try going to a concrete or wooden landing. It really makes me appreciate how hard the ground is. :busted:

I like going to the indoor bike park here, even if not often, but man the jump lines are terrifying to me. The bike definitely let's you know quickly when you mess up a transition.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Yah those bikes are much different.

Now try going to a concrete or wooden landing. It really makes me appreciate how hard the ground is. :busted:

I like going to the indoor bike park here, even if not often, but man the jump lines are terrifying to me. The bike definitely let's you know quickly when you mess up a transition.
Lol it ramps up quick..I learned to not try and preload since you can't . Lol ..relaxe and let it kick you. Yeah I'll take my time before I got a hard landing in a dj bike ..it'll be a park with dirt lol .no urban for me.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i just accidentally SRAM Mavens.
i almost never buy brand new stuff at launch, but I was pretty impressed by the value. for $600 you get:

-front & rear calipers (ltd ed ano too), levers, hose, & all fittings
-4 HS2 rotors (180, 2x200, 220)
-4 sets of pads (2x sintered, 2x organic)
-all mounting hardware
-sram pro bleed kit plus mineral oil
-a "rotor travel bag" (whatever that is)

that rotor selection alone retails for almost $200 and the bleed kit itself retails for ~$70.